Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been looking a locking gas cap for the truck. Has anyone bought one for their truck. I tried the local dealer but they told me that Toyota does not make one.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I realized that there is no locking feature either. It really concerns me. Sales man shrugged shoulders and offered no solution. I hate the fact that now I'll have to add another key to my key ring (unless the canadian's toyota lock works with your Toyota key!)

Let me know if you find a good solution. Bottom line...I think it was a serious oversight to the 07 Tundra should be a common sense thing. I e-mailed a complaint to toyota..doubt anything will be done about it though.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
O Reily Auto Parts

Stan #11504 Locking Cap. They Won't Have It In System For 5.7 L Engine.
It Has Worked In My Crew Max Over Last Month Without Engine Light Coming On. 12 Bucks In Texas.

Try It And Yes Extra Key On Keys Or Second Pair Leave It In Truck!

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Locking Cap That Works

Stant 11504 Or 10504 At Advance Auto Parts For Locking Cap.
Sorry Guys Not At Oreily.

Yes It Does Work On My 5.7 Tundra And Looks Just Like One Pictured For Half Price. Dealers Will Not Have Them In Texas Cause I Called 4 2 Months Ago. For 12 Bucks If Engine Light Comes On Put Old One Bak On And Will Turn Off Light After 2-4 Starts. I Know This Cause My Old Truck Did It.

·
Registered
4 Posts
What is wrong with Toyota Engineers?

5.7L engine is pretty expensive, not to mention gas theft, so why didn't they add a lockable door or remote pop open door is a mystery to me.:mad:

Anyhow, I bought one at Wal-Mart for 10 bucks, but you use separate keys for it.

Anybody know how to install after market Chrome Doors?:confused:

If I have to use a second set of keys, then I would like it to at least be pretty.:)

·
Registered
37 Posts
no one makes it for the 07s yet i been looking high and low at local truck stores or what not for a billet door with lock and key and they told me they havent made them for our truck yet also was looking for billet door handles for our trucks could not find them eather not out yet :(

·
Registered
4 Posts
Here is what I found so far and it looks promising

Here is what I found. These are billet made by AMI. I am considering chrome. It's pricey but it will look pretty good. By the way, you folks need to voice your opinions on Toyota's web site.

I spoke with Toyota MFG CR and she told me that they stop providing these lockable fuel doors due to some customer complaints. I told her that there are a lot of more people willing to sacrifice a little comfort for a peace of mind knowing that theft and vandalisms can be deterred by having one. She argued that I should buy one from Autozone or something, but that's a whole new case by it self. What if I happened to take my other set of keys that day? What if I loose these keys? Besides, I am willing to pay out of pocket to have one installed so, it would have been a revenue for them.

Anyhow to make the long story short, they are not making it unless enough of us complain. Follow the link to complain to Toyota so that they don't make this mistake for our future customers.

Email Toyota

Oh, and here's the link to billet.

AMI Fuel Doors Locking and Unlocking

·
Registered
4 Posts
Recommend

ps. I recommend getting one from walmart for now if you have toddlers/kids around your neighborhood. Sometimes kids get curious (like George) and stuff things in your tank. That could mean bu-bye 5.7L.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Locking Cap

Try Advance Auto Parts And Use Stant Locking Cap As I Stated Above.

It Has Been 4 Months Without Problems And Under 15 Bucks.

·
Registered
37 Posts
man i really like the ami gas doors thinking i might have to buy one and post some pics :) kinda wish the were closer to me so i can just go pick it up

·
Registered
4 Posts
At least it's free shipping

Thanks to our not so thoughtful Toyota engineers, they even placed the dimple on the body rather than on the door. :mad: The dimple will stay even when I put the AMI Door. :mad:

Why? Toyota? Why?

Anyhoo, I just had my check engine light come on. It's been 5 days since I had the cap on. I replaced it back with the OEM cap, but the light did not go off. I contacted the dealer and they told me that the light will eventually go off in a few days when it resets itself.:confused:

·
Registered
2 Posts
from the perspective of a toyota technician, i recommend not ever going with a stant fuel cap. In fact, i would just stay with the stock cap. Toyota's have very sensitive evap systems. Due to how new the 07 tundras are, I haven't had any evap issues yet, but this is must my opinion. Another important note about toyota fuel tanks is how most can't even be siphoned anymore. many have a vent before entering the tank that most typical hoses won't fit down. I've learned through experience and have sense come up with different ways of getting fuel out of the tank. I typically now just unhook the fuel line from the engine compartment, attach some 1/4 inch hose, and activate the fuel pump though our scan tool to drain the tank.

only real reason you might ever REALLY need a locking fuel cap is due to an angry girlfriend (sugar in the tank would put a damper on your day).

my opinion... for-go the idea of changing out the cap.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.