Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heres the deal......
My spare tire is useless as all 4 of my tires have about 2.5" less OD. The spare weighs about 80# and this is dead weight....basically hauling a large sack of concrete everywhere you go. My truck is also a work truck and never sees off road.....and if I were to go on a long trip I could always throw the spare in the bed. BFD.

The problem is that the truck is already light in the aft section. Removing the spare resulted in quicker stops and noticeably faster roll ons but decrease 0-60 times due to wheel spin; even if you couldnt tell the wheels were spinning.

The 'fix' for me was to relocate the battery as far back as possible. The reason this is beneficial is for multiple factors:

1. Removing 65# from in front of the front axle (worst location)
2. Adding 65# 4.5' BEHIND the rear axle (best location)
3. Lowering 65# ~3.5' (decreases body roll in corners, improves handling)

Its not just the amount of weight moved but where it was taken from and where it was put. Because the weight was taken from in front of the front axle and was added 4.5' aft the rear axle multiplies the change in center of gravity.

I only has a small time to test because of rain, and why the battery hold down is not 100% finished (no capped holes, no paint). During testing the truck was noticeably less top heavy in corners; clearly decreased body roll from lowering the battery. Lowering the weight was purely and afterthought, but it seems like this was something that would of been a bigger motivator if I had realized the now it was going to improve cornering. The truck also got its 'off the line' grip back and I could be more aggressive from zero without blowing the tires away (*still too wet to justify doing a 0-60 timed run).

Big empty hole!!!! Also note that I retained the original battery clamps at this location so I could re-install a battery here without too much trouble.

The top has 2 studs with wing nuts. These nuts hold an unseen bar over the top of the battery so it wont jump out. I still need to cap the holes and put some paint on it but it started raining and I dont like getting wet!

All said....loosing the 80 pound spare and moving 65 pounds from the nose to tail was well worth the effort.

~JH

·
Cereal Killer
20,307 Posts
A classic mod that always pays dividends. What gauge of wire did you use to run the positive up to the front? Did you use a dedicated cable for the negative or just connect to the frame? Any reduction in cranking speed?

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
2/0 welding cable.
Slight reduction in cranking speed. After a few starts I used my laser thermometer and found that the ground mount location up front was warmer then the surrounding areas. This means bolting the OEM ground wire to a body seam overlap is not sufficient.

I will be making a 2/0 extension to mount to the frame.

~JH

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
1 question. With all the road spray and condensation the battery will see in this location, will corrosion be a big issue?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

Reactions: Mr. Creosote

·
Registered
877 Posts
Good idea. Now that I think about it, with all of the space under the bed, I am surprised that under the bed is not the standard location.

·
Registered
724 Posts
1 question. With all the road spray and condensation the battery will see in this location, will corrosion be a big issue?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Should be able to get a cheap battery box. Only other thing is you might not be able to launch a boat.

·
Registered
148 Posts
if this were not done on a work truck, say a truck that does se off road time. would this placement lead to adverse affects due to the increased amount of agitation in the rear as opposed to the front end. i like this mod regardless!!!

·
Registered
13,893 Posts
u said agitation, he said load, I am confused.

What does the boat launch have to do with this??

·
Registered
724 Posts
forget the battery, your work truck is supercharged?! Are you hiring? I can do deliveries!
Haha. I work offshore for Baker Hughes. If you have a degree in engineering, physics, chemistry or any military experience I can point you in the right direction. Just be prepared to give up a hair sample and move to Louisiana.

Unless your truck is lifted the battery will most likely be submerged while launching a boat. Water + electricity = no bueno. :)

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Haha. I work offshore for Baker Hughes. If you have a degree in engineering, physics, chemistry or any military experience I can point you in the right direction. Just be prepared to give up a hair sample and move to Louisiana.

Unless your truck is lifted the battery will most likely be submerged while launching a boat. Water + electricity = no bueno. :)
Haha remind me not to let you launch my boat. My back tires are about 3ft from the water when I launch mine :) I've not seen anyone who launches properly have to stick the bed of their truck in the water haha. Just picking on ya of course ;)

·
"BHLM Master"
3,232 Posts
Nice work, I used the area for my train horns.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
if this were not done on a work truck, say a truck that does se off road time. would this placement lead to adverse affects due to the increased amount of agitation in the rear as opposed to the front end. i like this mod regardless!!!
Batteries dont like impacts. I cant count the time that I used the battery pack of my dewalt drill as a mallet when I was too lazy to find one....until I found that they wouldnt hold a charge for 5 minutes!!!! (broken plates)

Mounting the battery in this location will have more movement in relation to the front no doubt. But as long as the battery is held down properly this should not be impact shocks and should not have any adverse effects to the battery.

-Also....a gel or sealed battery would be advised if anyone is considering this....

It would be a good idea to put a protection plate or battery box for most applications.

Interesting idea, shades of the 60s. Why are your keys on top of the motor?
On any given day I can tell you Pi to the 20th digit, speak a few languages conversationally and work for the Engineering department of a Fortune 50 (without ever graduating HS!).

....but....

I will hunt for my keys for 2 hours and then find them in my pocket or other stupid place (*usually always somewhere where I would be sure not to forget). One of my race team crews primary goals is to remember where I put stuff down. Basically I get so focused on what I am doing that the extraneous details of where I put poop are lost in the mix.

Sorry for the long explanation but those f-ing keys were put there BECAUSE I know that if I dont put them somewhere obvious, I will be hunting them half the day.

~JH

·
Premium Member
1,371 Posts
I remember Supercharged having a tiny battery instead of the 65 lbs one we have. It was less than 1/4 the size and weight almost nothing compared to the stock one. He told me it will loose power if he kept the lights on with the truck off for a short time, that's the only downside.

My truck doesn't go off-road either, this mod is definitely on my list.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Another way to skin this cat (and maybe better) would be to cut a hole in the bed and make a box the battery sits in directly under the bed. This way you could change the battery from the top and the cut section would act like a lid if hinged. You would only have to make sure the box was deep enough and the battery was secured so it wouldnt jump up and arch on the underside of the bed!

~JH

1 - 20 of 21 Posts