Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2013 cm with 40k miles. I pulled my icons co and 20"wheels and 35" tires off my old 07 tundra and swapped the the 13. So lift wheels and tires are not new. Any way. I was getting the normal 10-11 mpg's and did not think much of it. One day while driving my normal style mpg's tanked to 6-7. Though it was a fluke. Next tank while watching my driving style close got the same 6-7. My air filter was bad off so I changed it and made sure the air in my tires were good (they were) Still next tank 6-7 mpg's. I went to work the next day at the FD for a 24hr shift and disconnected my battery to reset the ecu. Left it unhooked for the full 24hr shift. Next day hooked it up and filled up the tank. Got 12-13 mpg's for the next two tanks!! More than ever with my lift and tire combo! That shocked me. Well I'm going on two long road trips over the next 3 weeks. 5hr and 10hr one way. Most all interstate so I decided to throw my old oem wheels (18 alloy)and tires on just for the road trip. Yes the truck looks dumb with the lift and oem tires but it's just for the road trips. Just got back from the first one and got 16.7 mpg's!!! Never thought the tires would suck up 5mpg! So guessing I will be doing some math on lighter weight wheel tire combo's while trying to stick around 34"-35". Was already planing on doing 4.88 gears. But with 5mpg difference it would not take to long to justify a different tire wheels setup. I drive around 18-20k miles a year. Any advice on different wheel tire combo would be welcome. I was just rattling off hear bc my wife could give two shits about my truck addictions Hahahah. Thanks for letting me vent guys!

·
Registered
8,147 Posts
I had the OME lift and rode with stock tires for a while before upsizing to Trail Grappler (34.5). The most dramatic loss of mpg, as you noted, happened when the tires went in. These e-rated tires are no joke.

·
Registered
226 Posts
So are you factoring in the speedometer/ odometer change when you swap tires?
That's what I was wondering. With the upsized tires, you can't trust the speedo or odometer bc neither is accurate anymore; unless you re-calibrated to the new tire size.

·
Vendor
899 Posts
I would definitely get it calibrated first and then see what it is. I put a lift and tires on my ride and the speedo was off by just over 10% and that makes a huge difference!

Micah

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I had the cops in the city I work for ck my speed and with the tires I was off 2mph at 55 so I never recalibrate. All mpg's were done by hand math and not the truck dash.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I had the OME lift and rode with stock tires for a while before upsizing to Trail Grappler (34.5). The most dramatic loss of mpg, as you noted, happened when the tires went in. These e-rated tires are no joke.

Yep same tires I run.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I had the cops in the city I work for ck my speed and with the tires I was off 2mph at 55 so I never recalibrate. All mpg's were done by hand math and not the truck dash.
Speed wise, 2MPH isn't a huge deal and easy enough to keep in mind, I was more thinking about the fact the odometer will be off as well, so it'll be hard to get accurate fuel economy numbers

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Speed wise, 2MPH isn't a huge deal and easy enough to keep in mind, I was more thinking about the fact the odometer will be off as well, so it'll be hard to get accurate fuel economy numbers

Yes very true. One of the reasons I just rounded off saying 10-11 mpg's. Not trying to state perfect figures just roundabouts. It might be a bit more or less than 5mps difference but it was a larger number than I was expecting.

·
Banned
1,318 Posts
Don't put a ladder rack on as well. Did a 3/2 level and some terra grapplers and system one contractors rack. That thing creates alot of wind drag. Did a trip to Texas and back to jersey with that rack howling. Also larger diameter tires will affect the take off and gearing making it use more gas to get going as well as the fact they are wider creating more friction on the pavement to over come. It isn't only the weight with the set up but weight is a huge factor for accelerating and deceleration. I did notice the braking distance was increased with the larger heavy tire and wheel combo compared to the stock as well. I have to say though I did not loose as many mpgs as you did on average with my set up even with the ladder rack and that extra weight and wind resistance. Do you look like a monster truck getting loaded back into the trailers with the skinny tires on? Lol.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts