Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am sure this has been talked about before, please share any info or links you know of.

My question is: When I go to fill up, the truck says I have aprox "30 miles to empty" and I can usually if I am lucky squeez 18 to 19 gallons in at fill up. If these things supposedly have a 26 gallon tank, why does is show empty so early?? Is this normal or should I have something looked at or recalibrated?? It's kind of annoying, I am lucky if I get 330 miles to a tank but at only an 18 gallon fill up the MPG isnt horrible. I would still like to see a tank last a little longer.

Thanks for any info on this!!

·
Registered
684 Posts
The most I've EVER put in was 20 gallons and that was after driving on E for a while. Guess the reserve is just huge. Test it out by throwing a few gallons of gas in a can and drive till you run out. Throw enough in to get to a gas station then see what happens lol

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2,869 Posts
The most I've EVER put in was 20 gallons and that was after driving on E for a while. Guess the reserve is just huge. Test it out by throwing a few gallons of gas in a can and drive till you run out. Throw enough in to get to a gas station then see what happens lol

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Not a good idea!
The fuel pump uses the remaining fuel to keep itself cool. If you run it out there is a risk of damaging the fuel pump.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have the same issue with my 2013 Tundra C-Max. It is annoying but I guess it's better to be safe than sorry. I get around 16mpg so it's weird to me that if it were to show 0 miles to empty that I could go approximately 112-128 more miles. Seems a bit overkill.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have to agree. That much reserve is a little overkill. I will be taking it on the first roadtrip since I have owned it next week. I sure hope I get atleast 330 to 350 miles out of the tank. Still dont understand why they don't use a bigger tank in these trucks...

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
I agree w/toyota on this one.
Besides keeping the fuel pump cooled and lubed the more fuel you have the less that grungie dirty crap on the bottom stays there.
I think.Sounds good in theory at least.

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
Guys i just tested my truck to see how many miles it could go on after empty tank and i drove it to 40 miles but decide to stop i didnt wanted to go further but i think it will go up to 50 or 60 miles. Then i pumped 27 gallons into my truck i couldnt belive it

·
Premium Member
690 Posts
Guys i just tested my truck to see how many miles it could go on after empty tank and i drove it to 40 miles but decide to stop i didnt wanted to go further but i think it will go up to 50 or 60 miles. Then i pumped 27 gallons into my truck i couldnt belive it
27 gallons... I thought the tank was 26.4 gallons plus you weren't out of gas. I wonder if that gas pump was properly calibrated.

·
Premium Member
690 Posts
Well it should be calibrated my truck is a 2014 with only 5000 miles
I'm talking about the gas pump at the gas station.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I am still confused on what size the tank actuall is. Some people have said 23 gallons, some said 26, and now I see 27. LoL I would not run mine to dead empty (not good for fuel pump, fuel injection, ect..) However I have yet to be able to even get a full 20 gallons in at fill up from what my guage read as "empty".

·
Premium Member
690 Posts
I am still confused on what size the tank actuall is. Some people have said 23 gallons, some said 26, and now I see 27. LoL I would not run mine to dead empty (not good for fuel pump, fuel injection, ect..) However I have yet to be able to even get a full 20 gallons in at fill up from what my guage read as "empty".
Check the manual :D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts