Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2013 Tundra and the owners manual states that I have a 26.4 gallon fuel tank.

I normally fill it when its on E, but it only fills 22 gallons.

Is there a reserve of 4 gallons?

Also, what are your thoughts on using e85?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you very much.

It said estimated 370 miles until empty. I have the RW package so I don't have the 0 til empty option.

·
Premium Member
13,349 Posts
Thank you very much.

It said estimated 370 miles until empty. I have the RW package so I don't have the 0 til empty option.
Let me give you some insight. I get 438 miles until empty. I also get between 19-21mpg. When I keep my mpg's at 19.5 or higher I'm well into the 400 mile range. Now add the 4-5 gallon reserve I get 500 miles to the tank. Also back in 07 these trucks were mainly built for towing hence the 4-6 gallon reserve. It comes in handy when you're towing major poundage and need to get to the gas station.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Thank you very much.

Get yourself the info button I think its around $100 bucks and is a simple plug and play mod. Goes right with the other buttons on the dash and you will be able to see the mpg, empty etc. it should come standard but it didn't on my rock warrior so I added it

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This is all great! I appreciate it. I'll buy the plug and play mod ASAP if you can tell where to purchase it. Also Mickey, what is your secret?

·
Registered
162 Posts
Tnx for the info!

from my samsung galaxy - please excuse the typo's

·
Premium Member
13,349 Posts
I bought my info at the dealership parts dept. for $86. They have them on ebay a lot cheaper. My secret is I was a teacher of Smith Driving System an advance driving school. Teaches you how to save wear and tear on vehicle and while doing that you save gas too. Now your other things that can help you. Terrain mountains or plains, weather, 4x4 vs 4x2, street tires like my OEM tires Bridgestone Dulers vs All Terrain tires. Lifted or not lifted. The main thing is to teach your right leg not to push it. Using cruise control all the time except when raining.

·
Premium Member
4,848 Posts
Let me give you some insight. I get 438 miles until empty. I also get between 19-21mpg. When I keep my mpg's at 19.5 or higher I'm well into the 400 mile range. Now add the 4-5 gallon reserve I get 500 miles to the tank. Also back in 07 these trucks were mainly built for towing hence the 4-6 gallon reserve. It comes in handy when you're towing major poundage and need to get to the gas station.
That is WAY higher than I ever got out of my 2010 DC 4x4. I couldn't get anywhere close to that.

500 miles per tank????:confused:

all downhill?;)

·
Registered
830 Posts
Last week I drove my truck to work, it's 45 miles each way. NH isn't what most would call "flat". The route I took had a couple miles of 65mph highway, which I took at 60; the 45/50mph sections of backroads I took at 50. I still had some 30mph sections though, and a couple of lights.

The truck appears to have some learning inside the transmission. After 1,000+ miles I've noticed I can get it to shift and lockup early, having driven it rather lightly. I can get it to lockup after a downshift by letting off momentarily, which helps. Going fast enough to stay in top gear while climbing a hill is best, but on some hills you just have to let it scrub off speed otherwise it will downshift and steal a couple of mpg's for the climb.

Anyhow, a/c off, I managed 23 going to work and 21 coming home. Traffic was a bit worse coming home, and I do gain elevation. Bridgestone Dueler's at 38psi, 4.6L V8, tow package, 4x4, not sure if the tonno cover really helps or not but I have one. High(er) mpg's a doable, but talk about having to really milk it to achieve it.

I also try to coast instead of hitting the brakes. Getting off the gas pedal earlier and letting it slow down on its own helps. Not something that can be easily done in traffic I know.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts