Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My truck is a 2008 with a 5.7 and supercharger. I've had two trucks before the Tundra, a 2000 Tacoma 3.4L V6 and a 2002 Tacoma 3.4L V6. In both of them I used a fuel additive in every other tank to clean the system out. The almighty butt dyno showed an increase in throttle response, horse power, and quieter/smoother idle. The numbers showed about 1.5 mpg increase as well. My questions:

1. Is it safe to use a fuel additive with the TRD Supercharger?

2. If so, is there any certain one you would recommend for it?

I'm not looking for any "Your truck is a 2008, the system doesn't need to be cleaned", "Your butt dyno lied!", or "It's a waste of money, it won't help anything" responses. It's my truck, I'll do what I want. I just want to know if it's safe. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I'd be curious to know as well. I wish they would make an additive that would reverse the effect of ethanol in our gas. I'd be happy with that!

·
Premium Member
5,489 Posts
Are you looking for a fuel system cleaner or an octane booster?

BG CF-5 works well to keep the injectors clean and carbon to a minimum (Carbon Fighter-5).

Not sure if an addative truly exists that will increase octane and clean carbon. The issue that you are fighting is your SC, it means that you must run a higher octane fuel which will leave carbon deposits (best way on any vehicle to clear them is to open it up and rail on it at least once a month with a good high quality fuel). CF-5 should not harm O2 sensors or your convertors.

·
"Resident Liberal"
12,237 Posts
1. Why did you make a thread if you didn't want answers?

2. You have already made your mind up so just do whatever you want.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Are you looking for a fuel system cleaner or an octane booster?

BG CF-5 works well to keep the injectors clean and carbon to a minimum (Carbon Fighter-5).

Not sure if an addative truly exists that will increase octane and clean carbon. The issue that you are fighting is your SC, it means that you must run a higher octane fuel which will leave carbon deposits (best way on any vehicle to clear them is to open it up and rail on it at least once a month with a good high quality fuel). CF-5 should not harm O2 sensors or your convertors.
I'm looking for a system cleaner. Just something to get all the gunk out of the lines and injectors and help the fuel flow better. I'll look into CF-5 and see what I can find.

1. Why did you make a thread if you didn't want answers?

2. You have already made your mind up so just do whatever you want.
Where did I say I don't want answers? I want answers to my two questions, not a bunch of dumbass comments not pertaining to the questions asked. What have I made my mind up about? That I want to run a cleaning additive in my fuel? Yeah, I made my mind up about that when I bought the truck. But obviously I'm not going to if it's not safe for the supercharger. If you don't like my thread, stay out of it.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I'm also curious about octane boosters and if they'll make a difference with an SC? As for fuel system cleaners, BG is a great brand. If you're looking for a complete cleaner, 44K is another product to consider by BG.

Reactions: Ogtoyfan

·
"Resident Liberal"
12,237 Posts
I'm looking for a system cleaner. Just something to get all the gunk out of the lines and injectors and help the fuel flow better. I'll look into CF-5 and see what I can find.

Where did I say I don't want answers? I want answers to my two questions, not a bunch of dumbass comments not pertaining to the questions asked. What have I made my mind up about? That I want to run a cleaning additive in my fuel? Yeah, I made my mind up about that when I bought the truck. But obviously I'm not going to if it's not safe for the supercharger. If you don't like my thread, stay out of it.
Quit being a whiny little bitch.

·
Premium Member
5,489 Posts
I'm also curious about octane boosters and if they'll make a difference with an SC? As for fuel system cleaners, BG is a great brand. If you're looking for a complete cleaner, 44K is another product to consider by BG.
Yes, 44K is also a good product. I would only suggest it if you have more than 20K and have never run a carbon cleaner through the fuel system ad it will flush the injectors clean.:eek:

We also use the 44K on trucks that do not get services on a regular basis.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
I ran Lucas in mine all the time, no worries here
+1...I've been running Lucas Upper Cylinder Lubricant for the last 8K miles at every fill up. Ratio is 3oz to every 10 gallons of fuel. Now, there is no bigger skeptic when it comes to additives than me. Ever since I was suckered in by Slick 50 in the early 90s I am skeptical about all additives. This stuff really works and it's not expensive! It adds lubricity to the fuel plus it has cleaners in it as well. This is critical because thanks to the environmental nuts, our fuel nowadays sucks. Most of the additives that were beneficial to an engine have been removed thanks to the EPA. I noticed an honest 0.5-1.0 mpg increase solely after starting its use. Power "feels" a little better too, but I'm not going to bullshit and say it added 20hp or some other nonsense. The fuel savings alone pays for the product which is $10 a quart at Walmart.

Now, I still use BG 44K at 30K miles and Chevron Techron at every oil change. Formerly, these were the only two products that ever went into my gas tank. Lucas is now the third.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quit being a whiny little bitch.
You must be a real liked person around these parts.

Yes, 44K is also a good product. I would only suggest it if you have more than 20K and have never run a carbon cleaner through the fuel system ad it will flush the injectors clean.:eek:

We also use the 44K on trucks that do not get services on a regular basis.
My truck has 70k and I don't know what the person before me has done to it. That's part of the reason I want to run some through it, just to clean it up some.

I ran Lucas in mine all the time, no worries here
+1...I've been running Lucas Upper Cylinder Lubricant for the last 8K miles at every fill up. Ratio is 3oz to every 10 gallons of fuel. Now, there is no bigger skeptic when it comes to additives than me. Ever since I was suckered in by Slick 50 in the early 90s I am skeptical about all additives. This stuff really works and it's not expensive! It adds lubricity to the fuel plus it has cleaners in it as well. This is critical because thanks to the environmental nuts, our fuel nowadays sucks. Most of the additives that were beneficial to an engine have been removed thanks to the EPA. I noticed an honest 0.5-1.0 mpg increase solely after starting its use. Power "feels" a little better too, but I'm not going to bullshit and say it added 20hp or some other nonsense. The fuel savings alone pays for the product which is $10 a quart at Walmart.

Now, I still use BG 44K at 30K miles and Chevron Techron at every oil change. Formerly, these were the only two products that ever went into my gas tank. Lucas is now the third.
Thanks for the information. I'm not real worried necessarily with gas mileage or power gains. While some mileage would be nice (I get 14 on the highway) my main concern is taking care of the engine and supercharger. Since it's an 08 and has 70k miles I just want to make sure I keep it healthy lol

·
Registered
13,708 Posts
i have ran seafoam in vehicles, but don't have an s/c, have had turbo'd and it worked good, didn't cause any issues, and made a difference imo.

·
Registered
666 Posts
i have ran seafoam in vehicles, but don't have an s/c, have had turbo'd and it worked good, didn't cause any issues, and made a difference imo.
used seafoam as well on other cars and it worked pretty good. mpg went up a little and butt dyno showed slightly power increase.

·
Registered
152 Posts

The best thing I have found (but haven't tried it with the SC yet) is in the boat section at Wal-Mart called Star*Tron you can also get it at bike shops. When I had my sons 4 wheeler's carb gummed up from sitting over the winter. the bike shop scrubbed the fuel injectors and added that stuff. a few weeks later it started acting up again so I dumped some more in it and shook it up and it came out of it and strarted running like a scalded dog! (I get it from Wally world because it is more concentrated that the stuff at the bike shop and they cost the same.

·
Registered
225 Posts
What about the fitch fuel catalyst? I havent researched it much, but one of the members...highway lizard I believe has it and did a write up on it. If it works it would be alot better than putting an additive every fill up...which can be hard to "remember" everytime you fill up.

·
Registered
152 Posts
What about the fitch fuel catalyst? I havent researched it much, but one of the members...highway lizard I believe has it and did a write up on it. If it works it would be alot better than putting an additive every fill up...which can be hard to "remember" everytime you fill up.
you can use non-ethanol fuel.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Howdy,
Didn’t see a definite answer here. Is it ok to use additives like the Seafoam or Techron fuel injector cleaner on supercharged 5.7 engines?
Thanks,

1 - 17 of 17 Posts