Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else have problems making tight turns in 4x4 with front spacers installed? I had a front end shimmy and axle bind in turns.

Today I added 1" diff drop, and it helped the 40mph 4x4 shimmy, pretty much went away. But tight turns, still a very noticeable bind in the front axle.

I am thinking of removing everything as I now have a grease leak in my front CV boot. :banghead:

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
This doesn't sound like anything to do with the level, if you are making these turns on a hard surface like cement or asphalt, that is your problem. The system is not designed to be used in conditions like that.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
When I first noticed it, it was actually on a muddy road. Slipping and sliding on a fairly steep down grade. As soon as I got home, I washed the mud out and started checking things out. I went into my back yard, loose dirt, and I had the 4x4 lope with binding in the front axle. So to make sure, I got the wifes 4 runner out, and did the same circles. No lope, no binding, no load clicking. But here axle is level, while mine has a distinct rake in the axle at the cv joints. I just wondered if everyone else has the lurching, binding in tight to semi tight turns in 4x4. I remember my old Ford doing this, but it was common back then. I never tried turns in my Tundra in 4x4 before the front spacers. But I assume it was ok. I love the level look, and the slight lift to the whole truck. But I don't want to tear the front end up. My differential lowering kit, seems to help. But I only got 1/2 an inch with a 1 inch diff lower.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Is the 4Runner full time 4WD or part time like the Tundra? I had a 2003 4Runner and it was full time 4WD.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts