Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Generally speaking when should I change all these fluids? 07 Tundra 5.7 33000 miles. Truck has seen no hauling and has lived a very easy life, in fact as the milage indicates around 5000 miles a year driven only.

·
Registered
13,962 Posts
I'm getting ready to change my diff's and t-case and I am at 20k...

The rear at 20 k will come out dark and black, and thus needs to be changes in my opinion, the front will come out pretty decent looking, and the t-case will look new...

I am swapping over to synthetic, then I should be good till about 80-100k... The trans I will likely change at about 50k.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Don't waste your money. If you're taking it easy and never haul anything, those fluids will last you to 100k miles easy.

·
"Resident Liberal"
12,237 Posts
Don't waste your money. If you're taking it easy and never haul anything, those fluids will last you to 100k miles easy.
No lubricant is doing it's job at 100K.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
No lubricant is doing it's job at 100K.
I respectfully disagree. Degradation of a lubricant depends on numerous variables. So you think the wheel bearings need to be regreased before 100K miles?

·
"Resident Liberal"
12,237 Posts
I respectfully disagree. Degradation of a lubricant depends on numerous variables. So you think the wheel bearings need to be regreased before 100K miles?
I disagree. Probably not as respectively as you.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I have 34,000 on a '09, Tow a 7500 TT about 2K miles a year. In the process of changing all of the fluids as money comes available. Changed the rear diff first time last week. I was amazed that it came out fairly clear, very little odor, and very little metal on the drain magnet. I'll probably due the transfer case next.

·
F&@k Y'all, I'm from Texas
13,742 Posts
Do the rear diff by 40K. Front diff and transfer case case can wait until 60K if you don't use 4Hi often. No way would I wait until 100K. 60K would be my maximum on a lightly driven truck.

·
Registered
13,962 Posts
I guess define easy...

I changed my fj out at 20k, and it was black, smelled bad, and needed to be changed...

I also had an increase in mpg from then on.

I mean, it's not like we have rear diff or axle bearing issues... or front diff issues, what the hell, why even ever change it...

lol.:rolleyes::lol:

·
F&@k Y'all, I'm from Texas
13,742 Posts
Oil is a lot cheaper than a rear differential.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I guess define easy...

I changed my fj out at 20k, and it was black, smelled bad, and needed to be changed...

I also had an increase in mpg from then on.

I mean, it's not like we have rear diff or axle bearing issues... or front diff issues, what the hell, why even ever change it...

lol.:rolleyes::lol:
You know whats funny, my brother has a 96 tacoma and has never greased, changed any fluid what so ever, except the engine oil every 10,000 miles or so with Advanced Auto 2 dollar dino oil and the vehicle has 252,000 completely trouble free miles on it. He also hauls firewood, goes 4wheeling and basically runs the shit out of this vehicle...lol. It's because of this is why I bought my Tundra.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts