Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone. Sorry for the long post.

My truck is making a cyclical groaning (whir-whir-whir-whir) sound that sounds like it is coming from the front end driver's side. I hear it between 25-35 miles per hour, and it seems to get louder if I am turning left. I can also feel it in the steering wheel. I do have a suspension lift, but I noticed the noise even before I put the lift on.

I have researched quite a bit and found a couple of possible things to check. I first checked to make sure that there were no strange rub marks on the brake dust/backing plates. They all looked great to me. I spun each rotor by hand to see if I could hear anything. The fronts were silent - the rears seemed to make more noise than I thought they should. So, I decided to take the truck into the dealer since it is still under warranty. The technicians took my truck out twice and said that they couldn't hear anything. They said that they scoped the wheel bearings and that the bearings sounded fine. I asked them if they scoped the diffs to see if maybe an internal carrier bearing was bad - but he said that the diffs are "always noisy" so they are hard to scope (give me a break....). I went out and rode with one of the technicians and pointed out the sound and he said that it was my BFG KO2s. He said that they can develop a strange noise when they wear. I don't agree with this diagnosis. It doesn't feel like a tire issue to me. Plus, I have never had BFG's sound like this. But, to humor the guy, I went and had my tires rebalanced and then rotated to see if the sound would shift at all. It didn't make a difference.

I had planned on changing my diff and transfer case oil at 60,000 miles, but I decided to go ahead and do it a little early (I have about 54,000 on the clock now) so that I could inspect the current oil and see if there was excessive metal on the magnetic plugs. The oil in the front diff looked very good and I didn't see any unusual buildup on the plug - just the standard layer of stuff that comes from break-in and wear over time. The oil in the rear diff didn't look as good, but that is to be expected since it is the one that sees most of the work. Again, I didn't see any indication of excessive wear.

I researched some more and found the issue with the front differential needle bearing that these trucks have. I initially thought this must be it. However, I am not sure, because my sound doesn't go away when I put it in 4WD. But, maybe it is the problem. I qualitatively checked the play for both CV axles where they mate with the differential and the driver's side (where the needle bearing is) definitely has more slop than the passenger side. I have read about the bushing that ECGS sells that will supposedly take care of this. I am considering just ordering it and putting it in, but I just wanted to post up and see if anybody had any other similar experiences or had any other ideas that I could check.

Thanks,

Devin

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Update on the problem. I installed the ECGS bushing this weekend. There is a lot less slop in the driver's side CV axle now at the differential. However, the sound is still there. Maybe the tech was right and it is just the tires. It sure doesn't sound/feel like it though.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Well, it is time to eat some crow. I was convinced that this noise was something from the front diff. It has been driving me nuts. To rule out tire noise, I went ahead and contacted a friend that has a 2013 Tundra RW with stock wheels/tires. Today I went over and swapped wheels with him temporarily and took my truck out for a spin with his wheels and tires on my truck. Noise was gone. Put my wheels back on and the sound was back.

So, the tech was right - it is my tires, or something with my wheels. I have never had wheels/tires that created such a resonant type sound. Anyway, just wanted to close this out for people that may be experiencing similar sounds - make sure you rule out your tires and/or wheels.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Well, it is time to eat some crow. I was convinced that this noise was something from the front diff. It has been driving me nuts. To rule out tire noise, I went ahead and contacted a friend that has a 2013 Tundra RW with stock wheels/tires. Today I went over and swapped wheels with him temporarily and took my truck out for a spin with his wheels and tires on my truck. Noise was gone. Put my wheels back on and the sound was back.

So, the tech was right - it is my tires, or something with my wheels. I have never had wheels/tires that created such a resonant type sound. Anyway, just wanted to close this out for people that may be experiencing similar sounds - make sure you rule out your tires and or wheels.
Thanks for following up.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.