Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Attached!

Sorry I only got the first 5 pages, I'll try to get the full file when I visit the dealer the next time.

NOTE: Do not take the original TSB 0121-08 to the dealer if diagnosing or fixing the differential problem, it is obsolete now.

EDIT: See posts 8-10 for the full REV2 TSB, it is too large to fit in a single post.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
212 Posts
Thanks for posting this here...

They have to replace mine, as I just happen to be in the market for a new Rav 4 for the wife, and if they want my business on the new car, they will replace my front diff, on my lifted with 35's :lol5:

·
Registered
100 Posts
Any luck on getting the entire file? I'm just out of warranty by less than 1k miles and of course I now have this issue. If I knew exactly what the problem is, I have the tools and skills to rebuild a differential, If it truly needs more than new bearings and another gear setup, then I'd like to see the rest of this procedure and understand what they are truly pointing their finger at.... grrrr. Thanks for anything in advance!!

·
Banned
3,314 Posts
I was just wondering about this. I can here it on mine, but i thought it was my change to a used set of BFG all terrains. Im going to try to rotate the tires this weekend and see if it goes away.

oh wait, i see its not on the grade models, wonder why that is, I'll have to check my vin.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Thanks for posting this here...

They have to replace mine, as I just happen to be in the market for a new Rav 4 for the wife, and if they want my business on the new car, they will replace my front diff, on my lifted with 35's :lol5:
LMK how this goes would ya? I am in the same boat, I'm pretty sure I got the howl from this problem but I'm getting shutdown because of my lift kit.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Any luck on getting the entire file? I'm just out of warranty by less than 1k miles and of course I now have this issue. If I knew exactly what the problem is, I have the tools and skills to rebuild a differential, If it truly needs more than new bearings and another gear setup, then I'd like to see the rest of this procedure and understand what they are truly pointing their finger at.... grrrr. Thanks for anything in advance!!
I'm picking up my truck from the dealer tomorrow, I'll ask the service manager to print out the whole thing. Might have to split it into several PDFs, it's 21 pages total :eek:

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
There you go guys! :lol5:

Just got my truck back from the dealer, and I'm glad I got this done even though it cost me a few bucks. $2000 total, Toyota will comp me $500 as some kind of goodwill token. (They should really extend the warranty to 150k as they did for the AIP issue...)

·
Registered
7,071 Posts
According to that the extended factory warranty doesn't cover the repairs, its only the original warranty. Great, guess I'll drive it till it dies.

·
Banned
3,314 Posts
Welp, this pretty much confirms that I have this. Need to get it looked into as I'm at 52k miles.

Bought mine used from a Chrysler dealer, guess it's time to make an appearance.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
If you have the growl, and the dealer denies warranty because of coilovers and 35's, would a swap to 4.88 gears with a master kit resolve this issue, or is it a different part causing the problem? Sorry, I'm not that familiar with differentials and parts.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
57 Posts
I just noticed that my truck makes a sort of cyclical sound when driving in my neighborhood (20 mph) and I do not notice it any other time. It isn't really a grind, but more of like a low hum as if the wheel bearings were going. At first I thought it could be tire noise, but it sounds as if this is the culprit. Any other descriptions of the sound?

2011 SR5 Double Cab - Supercharged

·
Banned
3,314 Posts
I just noticed that my truck makes a sort of cyclical sound when driving in my neighborhood (20 mph) and I do not notice it any other time. It isn't really a grind, but more of like a low hum as if the wheel bearings were going. At first I thought it could be tire noise, but it sounds as if this is the culprit. Any other descriptions of the sound?

2011 SR5 Double Cab - Supercharged

Wum- wum-wum is wot the tundra sez.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Very timely. I had new tires put on, and it's made this noise ever since. It's possible it's still the tires; I did have to have two replaced immediately due to balance issues.

Tomorrow I'll try driving in 4WD and see if that changes the noise. If so... :( Then again, I am still inside the CPO warranty, so I shouldn't be worried.

Edit: Crap. The noise goes away in 4WD. HOWEVER the TSB says it has to make noise below 30mph--I can only hear mine around 35-40mph.

·
Banned
3,314 Posts
all models years are game, I thnk. The TSB that i have is noted revised to include the 2011, my year.

I'm still on the fence. I talked to the dealer, and they say bring t in, of course, but since then I haven't heard it consistently. Problem is since I'm an audio engineer I can pick out these sounds and isolate them pretty well, while other people can't. So I'm trying not to be overly sensitive to the noises and make sure that its genuine, and not my worn out rugged trails adding to it.

I think I'm going to swap my tires out this week, I've got a set of Michillens that I picked up off CL with the rims, so I'd just swap em out and see what happens. only at 57k miles, so I've got a wee bit of time to experiment.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts