Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok, first this truck never see's off road nor even 4wd. about one a month I will throw the truck in 4wd just to kick the gear oil around and turn the gears.

So the other day I did my routinely 4wd run.....I have to interrupt myself....I dont drive around corners or put any type of strain on the front end when I click it over to 4wd. I'm driving straight and click it over at about 35mph.......

Anyways, so I hear this loud grinding sound, when I get on the gas it pulls to the right so hard I almost went off the road. As if no power is going to the left side of the truck at all. It safe to say the front end is toast. This pisses me off, I dont abuse this truck in anyway and this shit happens.

Well I called the dealership I bought my truck from (West Ashley Toyota), and the head service manager told me that he would need the "ok" from a Service tech who has to come to the store and give them the approval. The service manager says he feels my odds of getting it repaired under warranty is about a 50/50.

I was told the service rep will be in 8/9 july, so i will know then. my fingers are crossed!

UPDATE 23Feb2014

Well dreading removing the front end and basically waiting to see the carnage I finally did it. I will be re-gearing (ordering parts next week) so figured I should pull apart the clam shell to see how destroyed it is and start searching around for my best options to replace parts if not the entire assembly. Well guess what? No metal chunks in the oil and the inside looks perfect. I don't fukking get it! I did have a shop a while back replace the axle on the left side since I melted part of the cv boot when I was grinding off the bump stops. I pulled the axle apart too. Can't find any evidence of damage. I'm going to a professional take a look at it as well, maybe I'm not seeing something?? I'm going to replace the axles, get it all back together and hope this fixes the issue. I don't know. Anyone have any input?

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Punch, that sucks about the diff, being the lazy ass that I am and not checking your build thread are you running the the taller gears? If so then bitch at the installer if not it may be time to upgrade. Toyota has to pay for those recalls somehow and if it means denying claims then oh well to the rest of us sorry sad saps!

·
Premium Member
1,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Truck has 12,700 miles

Well the service manager has seen my truck, and knows how modified it is. I explained to him that the truck has had nothing but premium aftermarket parts and has never been abused. He told me that he has seen modified trucks get warranty work completed on them.

Blown, I spoke to Frank who claims to be the head service guy. and thank you. Oh and also, Frank says the rep that has to come to the store to asses my truck is a pretty lax guy about modified vehicles.

Gearing is stock. never messed with the drivetrain and being it never see's 4wd, that is what is going to be my argument with this. I do need to gear to a 4:88, i just keep putting it off lol. maybe this will be a blessing lol.

Worse case scenario I'll find one in the junk yard or have to buy a new one from Sparks.

Anyone know the cost of a new one?

·
Banned
1,853 Posts
I'm a pessimist, so bear with me for a sec...

40" tires and a ~150-200 lb wheel/tire package on each of the front corners, geared by 4.30 just seems like a grenade waiting to explode to begin with. I don't know anything about the front diffs on tundras, but the rearends are frikkin stout. I only assume that the front diffs have less than half the balls that the rear does, but really, I don't know. With 40" tires, I think you are in the 5.xx gear requirement. These are the things that I assume a warranty approver would take into consideration. Honestly, if I was in his/her position, and my job was on the line over a several thousand dollar warranty repair, I'd deny it...ok, I'm done playing devils advocate :D

With that being said, I really do hope they take care of you :yesnod:

On a side note...I wonder what the stats are on guys running that big of tires on stock gears, who actually use their 4x4? 0%¿

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
Thats the problem - it didn't go off-road. :D J/K hope they cover it but with those mods I would cross my fingers

Reactions: Ogtoyfan

·
Premium Member
1,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have no idea the cost lol. Junk yard and I can have the front diff out in an hour.

and baddad yeah your right if I 4x4'd it but the front end never even turns the tires and if it does its at cruise anyways. I see your point and thats what I'm afraid of, but damnit I'm going to fight it.
We'll find out in about a week. I would of atleast been ok if I broke it beating the shit out of it, but just like this sucks.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Just do yourself a favor and dont let them write a ticket on your truck in case you get a no answer b/c if they deny it and log that on your vin then all future claims are going to be dismissed the same way. The reps name is ken and i laughed at that he is a cool guy but he works for toyota so we will all pull for ya on this one.

·
Registered
9,298 Posts
Be positive. Twice I've seen people who get their engine replaced because they forget to change the oil! Dealer decides to do the work not because the customer was wrong, but to make money and to keep good relations. All depends upon the dealership and how they write it up.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Updates please?

·
Premium Member
1,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Sorry, totally forgot to update this.

Update;

as of last week toyota's district tech rep felt that we opened a toyota service case. I called the 1-800 number opened the case, they called me back with telling that they could not help me and that I was on my own with this one :(.

The service GM said he would offer me the part at cost, which ballpark is about $1500 or so I believe. I never got the exact number but its a little over $2000 for the part and I was told there is usually a 25-30% mark up by the parts guy. so that being said I guess its time to spend another $1500. Grrrr :(. I'll be doing the labor myself as I always do and mine as well do gears while I'm at it.

I deploy in 4 weeks again so I'll prolly just wait till I get in december to do this. It will be a while, but when I get back and swap this part out, I'll take the front end apart and see what part actually failed. next up date in December lol. $1500 sucks but its way better then what I had thought I was expecting like $5000 for some reason.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Man 12k miles you would hope they would help out...
Hell that trucks msrp is 48kish which is CRAZY for any truck.

I think it has nothing to do with the stock gears in the rear. Lot of guys have 35-37"s with zero issues and 60k plus

·
Registered
41 Posts
good luck man

1 - 20 of 75 Posts