Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

Front Differential Noise/Failures

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just had my 2008 DC 5.7 start making noise, looks like replacement is in order. Just wondered what others have experienced. Feel free to make comments.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Should have noted it started around 105K miles. The previous owner never used 4WD. I may have used it a total of 3 miles in short spurts.

·
Registered
416 Posts
I had my front diff replaced last year, even though there is a TSB I had a fight to get mine replaced. You are past your 5/100,000 powertrain, do you have an extended warranty?

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I had my front diff replaced last year, even though there is a TSB I had a fight to get mine replaced. You are past your 5/100,000 powertrain, do you have an extended warranty?
No extended warranty, I bought it at 101K miles the PO didn't get one when new. I checked into an aftermarket warranty. $1800 for 12K miles and one year. I'm struck with this, found a wrecked 2012 with 8K miles and bought the diff for $560 shipped to my door. I'll install it this spring unless it really starts acting up sooner.

I've owned heavily modified Land Cruisers that I beat the crap out of that never gave me issues that this truck has. Really let down by Toyota on this one. I can accept wonky throttle issues, easy fix there. Diffs should last 400K miles without issue. At least it's an easy fix for the most part, hope this new diff is made correctly. I did note that they are made in Japan. Same as my starter that failed....hummm?

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Power train warranty on these trucks is 5/60,000 right?

Unless you bought an extended warranty.
Factory expires at 60K. Unless it is emission related, then it depends on the state.

·
Registered
669 Posts
TSB 0121-08 Rev2 applies to trucks produced “before” the production change
effective VIN shown below.

5TF#M5F1#BX021992 – Engine 1UR-FE
5TFK#5F1#BX004608 - Engine 3URF-F##
5TF##5F1#BX185288 - Engine 3URF-F##
5TFC#5F1#BX011966 - Engine 3URF-F##

The front diff issue occurred at late at 2011/2012 model year.
The original TSB has been revised to include later production years.

Reactions: Yota Man

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
I just had the diff and left axle replaced on my 2008. I didn't have to fight with them at all. I just walked in with a copy of the TSB, handed it to them, and said this is exactly what my truck is doing. A week later I had a new diff and left axle.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I think I'm having this issue on my 2011 at ~16k miles... can anyone tell me the updated TSB number?... or even post it if you have a copy?

Thanks!

·
Registered
669 Posts
TSB 0121-08 Rev2 applies to trucks produced “before” the production change
effective VIN shown below.

5TF#M5F1#BX021992 – Engine 1UR-FE
5TFK#5F1#BX004608 - Engine 3URF-F##
5TF##5F1#BX185288 - Engine 3URF-F##
5TFC#5F1#BX011966 - Engine 3URF-F##

My 2011 had this problem was just before the cut off to fix/update.

Reactions: eddiemeddiem

·
Registered
154 Posts
My VIN is 5tf##5f13bx179XXX, so I read it to be covered in your list above for Rev 2 of the TSB... correct?

Does anyone have a copy of TSB 0121-08 Rev2 that I can print out and take to the dealership?

·
Registered
669 Posts
Yes, you are reading it correctly. It appears that your Tundra was made shortly before mine. Do a search for "TSB 0121-08" and you shoud be able to find the .pdf file describing the TSB. The dealer did not have the parts on hand, so they provided me with a free loaner as my truck had to stay the night. Also, the symptons are more noticeable during cold mornings, low 20's (farenheit).

Reactions: Ayersek

·
Registered
430 Posts
It does say in the manual to engage the front diff. once a month for a few miles,can't remember the exact distance but 3-5 miles would be good. That's in a straight line of course. I do this and have not had any problems so far: I checked and I did have this done on the '08 DC with a TSB. But my '11 seems to be fine but will double check this be fore I drop the lease in July. thanks

·
Registered
154 Posts
Yes, you are reading it correctly. It appears that your Tundra was made shortly before mine. Do a search for "TSB 0121-08" and you shoud be able to find the .pdf file describing the TSB. The dealer did not have the parts on hand, so they provided me with a free loaner as my truck had to stay the night. Also, the symptons are more noticeable during cold mornings, low 20's (farenheit).
Thanks again. I did some searching earlier today, and did find TSB-0121-08 and saved it to print. I was just hoping to find Rev 2 that includes 2011 in the text, but it's not too big of a deal. I guess if the dealership tries to argue that 2011 trucks aren't included, I could always get them to pull up Rev 2 to prove it.

I agree, it has been much more noticeable over the past couple weeks with the colder weather (~30 deg and below). I'm not sure if it goes away as everything warms up, or if it's just because I'm going faster than the ~15-30 mph range that the TSB suggests when I get onto a main road. I'll switch it to 4x4 and see if that makes it go away too.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
2011 lifted.... Haven't had an issue yet..."knocks on wood". I do engage 4wd on a regular basis per the owners manual. I also have the 8 year 125K Platinum Toyota warranty.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Just got my truck back today from the dealer and a warranty repair. Didn't seem to be making a noise when anymore when I picked it up, but I'll check again in the morning when it's colder just to make sure.

·
"Resident Liberal"
12,237 Posts
How do you start noticing when the Differential is starting to go?

·
Registered
154 Posts
In colder weather (less than 35 F), I started hearing and feeling a slow whaa-whaa (one whaa every couple seconds) sound between 20-35 mph coming from the front axle under my feet.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I bought a Tundra LTD in 2008 and they replaced two front diffs before the 60K warranty had expired. I traded around 90K for a 2010 in hopes that the problem had been resolved. No such luck and the dealer replaced another diff at 50K. Both trucks had mild front leveling kits. I traded for the Ecoboost at 70k miles. Love it. I loved the Tundra too.

I have not been on this site for quite awhile and I am surprised to see folks still having diff issues with newer trucks. I cannot consider another Tundra until they revise something significant on their front drive system. Why would Toyota keep producing this truck knowing that there is a problem? This has been going on for more than 5 years now.

1 - 20 of 81 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.