Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1794 bronze mica. I am thinking of paint matching the hood bulge, grill surround, and middle plastic bumper piece - leaving the grill itself chrome and the bumper end caps chrome. Anyone done this and has pics??? Thanks!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That looks awesome. I was thinking about leaving some chrome but the more I see the paint matched front ends I think I will go that route. Thanks for the pic. Good looking truck

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have a 1794 bronze mica. I am thinking of paint matching the hood bulge, grill surround, and middle plastic bumper piece - leaving the grill itself chrome and the bumper end caps chrome. Anyone done this and has pics??? Thanks!!
Same color here, and the more I think about it, the more I want to do it.

·
Premium Member
4,000 Posts
I'd didn't like all the chrome on the front my 2014 SR5.
Replaced the grille and headlights with a TRD Pro parts.
Replaced the hood bulge and grille surround with a painted one.
Also had the 'TOYOTA' letters painted to match.
For now leaving the bumper ends chrome, may change it to painted ends someday.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Automotivetouchup.com

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Where's a good place to get matching paint? Directly from toyota?

I've got the metallic grey and would like to paint the backs of the mirrors.
No. Toyota dealers won't generally sell paint.

The best approach is to go to one of the major paint manufacturers dedicated stores, either DuPont or PPG. My preference as an amateur was PPG.

I haven't done any paint work on late model Toyota's, but paint manufacturer stores are able to work with secondary information beyond the basic color code to provide the most exact match possible without expert painter tweaking. For example, there may be ten different formulas for 2006 Corvette Monterey Red that are virtually indistinguishable with the naked eye depending on which tank car load of paint was used to paint the vehicle. I expect it's the same with US built Tundras, especially with metallics, and in the case of other vehicles, special tri-coat finishes.

·
Registered
47 Posts
We painted our ends. Very happy. Taking the sticker off to, so only chrome will be on wheels and running boards.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
582 Posts
Talk with Roman at Cool Springs...I have a Bronze 2014 Limited and he has a guy who painted the corners for me and they look great. I switched the surround and bulge to Bronze and popped in a Pro grill a few years ago. (see my avatar)

I didn't do the center front bumper section but I am sure that can be done.

If I recall correctly, I think bought the bronze surround, hood bulge and black plastic corners from Roman and he set up the painting for the corners only. He then shipped everything to me. I don't remember the cost...it didn't matter. I swapped in the Pro grill and assembled everything myself.

Given the down time to paint match your surround and bulge, you may want to consider buying the bronze-colored surround and bulge outright and that way your truck isn't without those pieces while everything is getting painted. Not the cheapest way to go but just something to consider if you drive your truck everyday.

To this day the paint looks like a perfect match.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Just did the Sparks Toyota parts swap to wipe the chrome off the mirrors and handles. Bumper caps and grill are next but to do it OEM is like $1000+

Looking into alternatives.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10 Posts
Just did the Sparks Toyota parts swap to wipe the chrome off the mirrors and handles. Bumper caps and grill are next but to do it OEM is like $1000+

Looking into alternatives.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Are those caps/covers that just stick/snap on over the original parts, or are they complete replacements? Looks good either way.

Dan.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts