Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone,

I bought my first Truck in 2009, it was a 2009 Tundra Crewmax Limited 4x4. The goal was this truck was going to be my toy and I was going to supe it up. I even made sure I financed the supercharger when I bought the truck. Then the sales man called me after I had the truck for a week and told me the supercharger had some parts that were on back order and needed to give me my money back on that and redo the loan docs. Damn dealership lied to me. The parts weren’t on back order, my truck was a flex fuel and superchargers are no go’s. Of course they strung me a long for a while telling me that the parts are still on back order. Thanks to you guys on Tundra Talk I was able to find out they were screwing me without the courtesy of a reach around.

None the less I love the truck. It had great power and I used the heck out of it. After having it about 3 years I decided to improve the sound system. I installed a Kenwood, HD9990 head unit w/gps, two JBL low profile 10” sub woofers, each powered by their own JBL MS-A5001 amp, A pair of JBL 660 GTi’s in the front doors, a pair of Boston’s in the rear doors (I can’t recall model number), and some infinity’s in the dash for the center channel. I was still having some issues with it not sounding exactly how I wanted it then I put in the MS-8 by JBL and boy was I amazed. About a month after I got this truck sounding the way I wanted it I hydro planed in Louisiana on my way to Florida and flipped the truck when the rear bumper struck the concrete divider. The only thing I was thinking while rolling over was, “Damn, I just got this thing sounding good”. Needless to say this turned into an opportunity to get a non-flex fuel 4x4 crewmax.

This turned out to be a bit of a more complex task than I would have thought. Gulf States Toyota refuses to order non-flex fuel 4x4’s. (They get Tax credits)
So I called a dealership in California and placed my order. They didn’t have the color combo I wanted so to save a hassle of them trying to locate it I decided to have them place an order with the factory. They screwed it up but fortunately after talking to their GM they located me what I wanted but with a few extras. What I ended up getting is a Tundra 4x4 Crewmax Platinum edition. The dealership had already installed the remote start, TRD air filter, front skid plate. I added to it rear bed step, TRD rear sway bar, TRD Exhaust, Bed extender. I just signed the loan docs and the truck should be shipped to me between the 12 and 15 of June. I cannot wait. Once it gets here I will have the Supercharger put on. I can’t wait. Oh, yea I also bought the 125k warranty.

I will post pics when I get it. In case you are wondering. Shipping for San Francisco to Texas is about 1,500 but even with shipping and all the extras I paid almost as much for this truck as my other old one. Go figure.
So, what I would like is advice on upgrading sound system. I put all my old stuff into my Honda Accord. I think I want to keep my factory radio since the aftermarket radio pissed me off by messing up my hand free talking, and not using factory rear view camera.

Sorry about the book. Just wanted to share the experience. If you live in Texas and want a non-flex fuel Tundra just order it from Cali. You might even find it cheaper.

·
Trans-Immigrant
15,631 Posts
First off, welcome to the site! LOL
Glad you werent injured in the flip over!
It seems as if you got a sweet ass truck coming your way! And you're getting it SC! AWESOME! I only dream of getting a SC :D

As for your stereo, keep the stock HU, it looks soo nice and the finish cant be compared with aftermarket.
On mine I have a sub & amp, but it sounds like you want really good sounds, I'd recommend researching Line Out Converters, there are cheap ones, like the one i have on my sub, and there are top of the line ones that will take the sounds from your HU & make it competition quality

Good luck & congrats on the sweet truck! Post pics when you get it!!

·
Registered
7,273 Posts
that's interesting that they get a tax credit, I've always wondered why y'all were stuck with flex fuel.

anyone need a cali resident to either drive or tow their tundra to them out in Texas?

oh ya, welcome from San Diego Ca

·
Registered
8,147 Posts
Welcome to the forum. That's one interesting story. Glad it turned out to your advantage.

·
Registered
872 Posts
Welcome from Houston!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts