Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

241 - 260 of 285 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #241
So I went to install my fortin one evo remote start yesterday that i purchased on a group buy from tech12volts and month or two ago. Got all of the wiring completed and double checked to make sure everything was wired correctly. Once i went through the learning sequence with the module where i plug the remaining plugs in with the key in the ignition, all of the lighting sequences flashed in the proper order saying it was ready to function. Hit my lock button 3 times on the key fob and nothing.... unplugged the module and went through the sequence a couple more times and still nothing. Doesn't turn over, click, etc. I have a 2016 Platinum and cant figure out what is wrong. It came programmed specific for the tundra but is there a possibility the flash could have somehow been erased? Anyone else have any issues similar? I was wondering if my Amp steps plugging in to the obdII sensor would mess with it at all? Any insight or feedback is much appreciated. The truck currently runs and all the stock features operate as normal.

Shoot JRT an email. He’ll be happy to troubleshoot with you on the phone.

I added the MyCar module to the Fortin yesterday and he helped me with it. Both the Fortin and the MyCar were bought somewhere else. He still helped me because I’ve bought other stuff from him.

Awesome dude.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,044 Posts
Shoot JRT an email. He’ll be happy to troubleshoot with you on the phone.

I added the MyCar module to the Fortin yesterday and he helped me with it. Both the Fortin and the MyCar were bought somewhere else. He still helped me because I’ve bought other stuff from him.

Awesome dude.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I hit him up yesterday but he is dealing with some family stuff and I don't want to bother him with a remote start haha. I was poking around to see if anyone else had any insight. I'm sure he will get back to me at some point.

·
Registered
24 Posts
So I went to install my fortin one evo remote start yesterday that i purchased on a group buy from tech12volts and month or two ago. Got all of the wiring completed and double checked to make sure everything was wired correctly. Once i went through the learning sequence with the module where i plug the remaining plugs in with the key in the ignition, all of the lighting sequences flashed in the proper order saying it was ready to function. Hit my lock button 3 times on the key fob and nothing.... unplugged the module and went through the sequence a couple more times and still nothing. Doesn't turn over, click, etc. I have a 2016 Platinum and cant figure out what is wrong. It came programmed specific for the tundra but is there a possibility the flash could have somehow been erased? Anyone else have any issues similar? I was wondering if my Amp steps plugging in to the obdII sensor would mess with it at all? Any insight or feedback is much appreciated. The truck currently runs and all the stock features operate as normal.

Maybe it was programmed to the Lock-Unlock-Lock sequence instead of the Lockx3 sequence??

·
Premium Member
3,044 Posts
Maybe it was programmed to the Lock-Unlock-Lock sequence instead of the Lockx3 sequence??
Negative, that didn't work either. Will the system work without the valet button installed? It just dawned on me that the switch was sitting on my garage floor this morning.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Negative, that didn't work either. Will the system work without the valet button installed? It just dawned on me that the switch was sitting on my garage floor this morning.
When I installed mine it wouldn't start at first and the unit was in Valet mode by default. There's a way to do it with the key and the brake pedal, but the easiest is with the button installed. I eventually gave up on the 3x factory fob lifestyle and use the RF remote kit that I bought because of its MUCH longer range. Plus it doesn't cycle the locks excessively either.

Reactions: StormTrooperRW

·
Premium Member
3,044 Posts
When I installed mine it wouldn't start at first and the unit was in Valet mode by default. There's a way to do it with the key and the brake pedal, but the easiest is with the button installed. I eventually gave up on the 3x factory fob lifestyle and use the RF remote kit that I bought because of its MUCH longer range. Plus it doesn't cycle the locks excessively either.
Ok, i'll hook it up tonight and see if that is my problem. If valet mode is on is there supposed to be a red light or will the red light come on when valet mode is off? Cuz i have no red light right now. the module flashes blue anytime i lock or unlock the truck though.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Ok, i'll hook it up tonight and see if that is my problem. If valet mode is on is there supposed to be a red light or will the red light come on when valet mode is off? Cuz i have no red light right now. the module flashes blue anytime i lock or unlock the truck though.
With mine I had already buried the module under the dash, so I'm not sure. However, anytime I did the 3x lock to start it, the parking lights would flash three times, indicating Valet Mode. I think there's instructions somewhere, let me see if I can find it for ya. I think I have a pdf lying around.

edit: Looks like it's a combo of the brake pedal and the valet switch

http://cdn.fortin.ca/download/33021/rf642w-install-guide-33021.pdf

Reactions: StormTrooperRW

·
Registered
13,660 Posts
So the RF add on stops the 3 locks, unlocking, then re-locking again after started?

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
So the RF add on stops the 3 locks, unlocking, then re-locking again after started?
No, that's a programmed thing in the flash for the module. Actually the 3x lock thing has to be turned on to even work, its an option. The lock before and after, as well as how the key takeover works are all options in the flash. I bought the Flash Link Updater (a little module that connects the remote start to your computer) and downloaded the Flash Link software and set mine up myself. Its a little confusing at first because the description for things is ridiculously vague and / or translated incorrectly it seems. (I think Fortin is a "French" Canadian company). The best thing I've found is to put the software on a windows tablet or laptop so you can bring it down in the truck with you to program and see how the different options work so you understand what they do and how the truck will function. Time consuming for sure, but it beats sending the module out for programming if you want to change something.

Edit: I'm sorry, I think I misinterpreted the question, lol. You still have to set up the options correctly if you don't want to have to lock the truck before a remote start, and if you want the truck to stay unlocked after it starts. However, with the RF kit, I just push the remote start button on it and the truck fires up, I have mine set to lock after it fires, so in order to get in the truck I have to unlock it. If for any reason its not locked and one of the doors is open, the truck shuts off (if I don't hit unlock first).

The programming isn't 100% solid on these modules. Sometimes, after starting my truck, and unlocking it, as soon as I open a door it'll kick off anyway. Minor inconvenience, but still annoys me. There's a setting for when "takeover' occurs and mine is set for when the doors open. As soon as the doors open, my fogs come on and the dash lights kick on as well with the HVAC control lighting too. (I leave my headlight switch on all the time). Then the truck waits for the key and the brake pedal tap for full control to be back in the hands of the truck. I think I'm going to try and change the setting to either have the takeover happen instantly, or to have it wait for the brake pedal tap. Either one should solve the door opening issue.

Reactions: Powertechn2

·
Registered
13,660 Posts
No, that's a programmed thing in the flash for the module. Actually the 3x lock thing has to be turned on to even work, its an option. The lock before and after, as well as how the key takeover works are all options in the flash. I bought the Flash Link Updater (a little module that connects the remote start to your computer) and downloaded the Flash Link software and set mine up myself. Its a little confusing at first because the description for things is ridiculously vague and / or translated incorrectly it seems. (I think Fortin is a "French" Canadian company). The best thing I've found is to put the software on a windows tablet or laptop so you can bring it down in the truck with you to program and see how the different options work so you understand what they do and how the truck will function. Time consuming for sure, but it beats sending the module out for programming if you want to change something.

Edit: I'm sorry, I think I misinterpreted the question, lol. You still have to set up the options correctly if you don't want to have to lock the truck before a remote start, and if you want the truck to stay unlocked after it starts. However, with the RF kit, I just push the remote start button on it and the truck fires up, I have mine set to lock after it fires, so in order to get in the truck I have to unlock it. If for any reason its not locked and one of the doors is open, the truck shuts off (if I don't hit unlock first).

The programming isn't 100% solid on these modules. Sometimes, after starting my truck, and unlocking it, as soon as I open a door it'll kick off anyway. Minor inconvenience, but still annoys me. There's a setting for when "takeover' occurs and mine is set for when the doors open. As soon as the doors open, my fogs come on and the dash lights kick on as well with the HVAC control lighting too. (I leave my headlight switch on all the time). Then the truck waits for the key and the brake pedal tap for full control to be back in the hands of the truck. I think I'm going to try and change the setting to either have the takeover happen instantly, or to have it wait for the brake pedal tap. Either one should solve the door opening issue.

Thanks, lemme know how it works out.

I am interested in the extended range now that we sold half of our parking lot.

And if it stops locking a bunch of times... We have annoyingly shitty lock units apparently. Hahaha.

My truck turns on the lights if dark, or just the leds if light out when I open the door. I have not had any shutdown other than if I forget to put the key in before hitting the brake pedal.

Reactions: riccnick

·
Premium Member
3,044 Posts
Just an update. JRT is sending me a new module. He thinks that there is either an issue with the module because based on the light flashing configuration during setup, all the wiring is correct, or the flash was corrupted. Either way he is sending me a new one with the updated flash specific for the truck so I don't have to bother getting the flash tool. Hopefully it'll be plug n play and be done!

·
Premium Member
3,044 Posts
Received the new module on Saturday from JRT. Swapped it in and the truck didnt start.... stupid battery just so happened to die this weekend. Jumped it, got it to keep a charge for a while and the remote start worked. Replaced the stock battery yesterday and everything has worked great since. Has anybody else had shitty battery life with the stock batteries? This one lasted a little over a year. Same thing happened with the stock battery in my '12. It barely lasted a year as well.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I installed my Evo one today it was easy but as someone mentioned very time consuming. When I remote start mine I get a tpms error, and when I put the key in and turn it to on it goes away and tpms works. Is this normal? Does anyone else here get a tpms error? Thanks.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Looks like Fortin has some new cables. The THAR-ONE-TOY7. Comes with ignition T-Harness (THAR-ONE-TOY2) and others for OBDII, TPMS, etc. By the looks of the instructions, there's no cutting or splicing involved and completely plug n play unless you have factory alarm.

Anyone know where I can get one, like today lol? I've emailed anderson, but a quick search reveals nobody has it for sale quite yet.

·
Registered
18 Posts
From my digging it looks like the THAR-ONE-TOY7 will not be available till the end of January. if anyone has different information let us know.

Thanks, Mike

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks to everyone for all the info - bought the evo one and the mycar for my 2018 platinum (H key) - like everyone said, pretty easy and straight forward to install, but I can't get the mycar to program to the evo one.

-Evo one works fine - I can't unlock doors without inserting the key after I remote start it- still can't figure out how some tundra's this works and some it doesn't, but guess i'm a bit unlucky. Also the hold down of the lock button doesn't work for me - need to push it 3 times.

-I didn't realize the mycar just needed the plug into the evo one and not the additional power, ground and yellow that are on it, so I did a little extra wiring/unwiring.

- I can't for the life of me get the mycar to program to the evo one. when I follow the instructions on programming, the only way I can get the evo one to flash blue/red is to unplug everything and then plug in the 6 wire harness while holding down the programming button (like I started the initial evo one programming). Is this what i'm supposed to do? then plug everything in (including mycar?) I've tried it 3 times and different ways and the mycar still won't work. I suspect it may be programming - both were programmed before shipping so I don't have the flashlink but am willing to buy if it finishes this up. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

·
Registered
13,660 Posts
The Evo one uses 3x lock push to start. The oem used a lock lock hold.

·
Registered
57 Posts
-Evo one works fine - I can't unlock doors without inserting the key after I remote start it- still can't figure out how some tundra's this works and some it doesn't, but guess i'm a bit unlucky. Also the hold down of the lock button doesn't work for me - need to push it 3 times.
Mine was like this. My workaround was to quickly unlock the doors before the truck actually started. So my sequence was lock-lock-lock-unlock-unlock (to unlock all doors). It was a lot of button pushing, but really what's two more button pushes? I also had a problem with the alarm going off sometimes when it started, and this sequence prevented it because the unlock function also disarmed the alarm. After frstratingly going back and forth checking connections, re-flashing the unit, and calling tech support, i settled on this fix. Hope this helps.

-k

Reactions: Chris2e

·
Registered
13,660 Posts
Mine was like this. My workaround was to quickly unlock the doors before the truck actually started. So my sequence was lock-lock-lock-unlock-unlock (to unlock all doors). It was a lot of button pushing, but really what's two more button pushes? I also had a problem with the alarm going off sometimes when it started, and this sequence prevented it because the unlock function also disarmed the alarm. After frstratingly going back and forth checking connections, re-flashing the unit, and calling tech support, i settled on this fix. Hope this helps.

-k
That isn't right.

I can lock lock lock, it unlocks, then starts, and re-locks. Then I unlock, get in, put the key in, hit brake and go.

Something isn't right in both or your trucks.

241 - 260 of 285 Posts