Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 20 of 285 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I installed this a little while ago and couldn't be happier. I bought the Evo-One with the Toyota T-Harness from a forum member. If anyone is considering getting a remote start, I highly recommend the Fortin. Stupid simple install.

This is a picture of the wire harnesses that comes with the unit.

Picture of the T-Harness.

Using the T-Harness you eliminate having to cut into your ignition harness. Another huge benefit to this system is you cut down on the number of wires you install. I think you have to tap into 7 wires and cut 2 others. So you go from the harness above to only needing the wires in the following picture.

The install instructions say you have to cut two wires. Once the wire is cut, you attach two wires from the Evo-One to both cut ends of the factory wire to complete the circuit / loop. I didn't want to cut any wires so I removed the wires from the factory harness. You can find the instructions on how to remove the wires in this thread.

http://www.tundratalk.net/forums/tundra-lighting-electrical/418305-anytime-fog-ligt-mod-no-cutting.html

I wanted to be able to go back to stock if I wanted so I had to buy two new wire terminals. Instead of cutting the wire I unplugged it from the harness / connector. I then wrapped the metal end of that wire to one of the wires from the Evo-One. I attached the second wire to the wire I bought and then plugged it into the factory harness / connector. That way I eliminated any cutting. These are the part numbers for the new wires. They were about $12 each.

If anyone is considering a remote start system, don't hesitate to buy this one. After I had everything installed I ran into some issues and literally spent over an hour on the phone with the seller as he helped troubleshoot the problem. I was dumb and tried to remote start the truck with the hood open.

I'm happy with the range I get with the factory keyfob it. I had a range extender I was going to install but decided against it.

If anyone has any questions I'll do my best to answer them.

---------- UPDATE ----------

I noticed I didn't talk about any of the other wire connections I made. One of the points I made above was using OE connectors so I didn't have to cut anything. I also didn't cut any other wires I tapped into. I used the following method to attach the Fortin wires with the factory wiring.

https://youtu.be/9O39sGw4RX0

Instead of using electrical tape I removed the wire from the harness so I could slide a piece heat shrink tubing onto the wire. Removing the wire also gave me some slack to work with attaching the wires together. Once the wires were connected and heat shrink applied I plugged the factory wire back into the harness.

·
Premium Member
3,545 Posts
How much did it cost?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Does it use your factory alarm key fob to start the truck? Does it force you to turn off the car after it is remote started and your ready to get in and drive like the factory unit?

·
Premium Member
891 Posts
Does it use your factory alarm key fob to start the truck? Does it force you to turn off the car after it is remote started and your ready to get in and drive like the factory unit?
I have the same system also purchased from Door Ding and no, once you hit the lock button on your factory remote 3x's, the truck starts, when you walk up to your truck and hit the unlock, the truck will continue to run, when you open the door the truck will continue to run, all you have to do is insert the key into the ignition and turn to the "on" position and off you go, at no point will the truck turn off.

I have noticed though, if you have entered your truck and do not insert the key and push down on the brake, the truck will shut off. The truck will also shut off after 10mins of continous running and no key is inserted

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Nice thanks. That is much better than the factory remote start.

How hard did you think the install was?
More time consuming than hard. I had to figure out how to remove the wires from the harnesses again. I did it on my 08 years ago and forgot. Once I got that down it went pretty quick.

During my install I removed all the wires from the harnesses, even the ones I just tapped into. I wanted the extra slack in the wire when I stripped the jacket off.

Here is a PDF of the install instructions to give you an idea of what needs to be done.

https://fortin.ca/download/26681/evo-one_thar-toy2_toyota_tundra_-gkey-_(2010-2015).rev-20150112.pdf

Stepping on the brake disables the remote start. If the key is in the ignition in the on position the truck continues to run. If the key is not in the ignition the truck turns off. If you're in the truck and it's already running, hitting the lock button 3xs allows you to remove the key from the truck while it continues to run. Nice for quick trips in and out of the truck.

·
Registered
113 Posts
My truck is an 07. What is weird is the T-harness online says it is for 08+ which is weird because I thought 07/08 were pretty much identical...

·
Registered
483 Posts
@MMichaelJJ - Thanks for this. I might look into getting this now. How far is the range of the remote?

·
Registered
380 Posts
The T harness doesnt work with the 07 due to different ignition wiring needed. Also the 07 Evo connection diagram does not have any provision for CAN bus connections which is where the EVO picks up the lock signal from the OEM remote. It may be possible to connect to the can if the wiring is present in the OBD2 plug to see if it sees the CAN, but I dont have access to an 07 to investigate this. Can anyone with an 07 post a photo of the OBD2 plug from both the front and the back so I can take a look?

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
@MMichaelJJ - Thanks for this. I might look into getting this now. How far is the range of the remote?
Do you have a factory keyfob? The range will be whatever you normally have with yours. I've never tested how far out it works. I'm guessing a couple hundred feet. I usually only use it to warm it up in my driveway and when I walk out of the gym with the truck parked in the back of the lot.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Also wanted to add the factory memory seats on the platinum no longer work like normal. Usually when the key is put into the ignition, the steering column and seats move. Now when the vehicle is remote started and I insert the key, the steering wheel and seats don't move. I'm sure there's a feature built in that can address it, I just don't mind. I know I have to press the preset seat button. I do that as I'm getting in. By the time I'm sitting in the seat, it's already moving forward.

It functions like normal when the remote start isn't activated.

·
Registered
197 Posts
sub

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
SUB (marined)

I have an 07, seems like I could be the odd man out with this tech.

Reactions: joe's toy

·
Registered
8 Posts
MMichaelJJ, do you know which pin part number was for the auto light terminal? I'm looking at purchasing two of that one so I don't have to tap the parking light wire.

For the OBD2 connector I'm debating if I could use/modify a TLTH1 OBD2 t harness instead of tapping the wires directly. From looking at their install guides I know it has the CAN high and low pins already tapped. It looks like I might have to tap the INNO pin. Either way it would make for a plug and play install under the dash.

If I purchase the Flashlink Updater 2 FLU-100.2 am I able to download the firmware and flash the unit? Or do I need to be an installer with Fortin in order to obtain the firmware files?

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
MMichaelJJ, do you know which pin part number was for the auto light terminal? I'm looking at purchasing two of that one so I don't have to tap the parking light wire.

For the OBD2 connector I'm debating if I could use/modify a TLTH1 OBD2 t harness instead of tapping the wires directly. From looking at their install guides I know it has the CAN high and low pins already tapped. It looks like I might have to tap the INNO pin. Either way it would make for a plug and play install under the dash.

If I purchase the Flashlink Updater 2 FLU-100.2 am I able to download the firmware and flash the unit? Or do I need to be an installer with Fortin in order to obtain the firmware files?
I'll have to take a look when I get home in a few hours. I don't remember which terminal went to what. I'll try to respond tonight.

Yes. You can download the software installer, or whatever it's called directly from fortin' site. From there you can change options within the software / program. I'm not familiar with that portion of the Evo. Door Ding would be the person to contact with those questions or the retailer.

1 - 20 of 285 Posts