Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Premium Member
829 Posts
The ecoboost is the biggest joke of an automobile I have ever seen. My 2009 GMC Sierra Z71 4x4 V8 gets better gas mileage highway and mixed than the ecoboost junk.
I do know that my GMC is inferior to the Tundra, but I will eventually get a Tundra.
I dont know if I will own another ford product or not. Every time I decide to give ford a chance it seems that their autombiles spend more time in the shop than any where else. I will never ever ever own another dodge product period. I had more problems with it than it was worth.

Reactions: Mr. Creosote

·
Registered
59 Posts
Where did you get my picture from! I don't get people without real experience(own or at least seat time) putting their thoughts out, brand loyalty aside every vehicle is different regardless of manufacturer.

The ecoboost is the biggest joke of an automobile I have ever seen. My 2009 GMC Sierra Z71 4x4 V8 gets better gas mileage highway and mixed than the ecoboost junk.
I do know that my GMC is inferior to the Tundra, but I will eventually get a Tundra.
I dont know if I will own another ford product or not. Every time I decide to give ford a chance it seems that their autombiles spend more time in the shop than any where else. I will never ever ever own another dodge product period. I had more problems with it than it was worth.
I've owned lots of new vehicles, but bought every one based on what suited my needs and likes, not by brand. All had good and bad. My 14.8 lifetime average is great for a truck under my particular driving conditions(Washington DC area), on the highway there is no problem getting 22mpg. I know a lot about engines, won't go into bunch of details, but the Ecoboost is built very well. It is not a marvel of new technology, just a nice combo of existing technology. Your GMC is so far behind in power, payload, towing capacity, interior quality etc., that it would be impossible to compare, but I would like your GMC for what it is. I had the opportunity to drive a new police interceptor with the Eco, and it is impressive, and outperforms the GM and Dodge offerings in almost every way. Get ready to see a lot of them, you would be surprised how many law enforcement agencies are implementing them. Bottom line...I don't think it is junk, drive one they are fun. Ok no more Ecobabble fom me, I'm here cause I own and like my new Tundra a lot and can't wait to start modding it.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I have both, and like them equally for different reasons. The Ecoboost is amazing, mine is lifted with 3.31 gears, and(sure ill take a beating for this) but it is faster than the Tundra, stock with 4.30 gears. Nothing like the sound of a v8 though. The mileage hype from Ford is a joke on the Ecoboost, 14.8 lifetime average for me(all else aside, that is good mileage for a heavy lifted pickup). The way it makes torque is why it is cool, max torque at 2500 rpm and pretty much flat the rest of the way. Eco is for itching my need for speed, $400 dollar tuner and your running mid 13s. The Tundra is getting Camburg coil overs etc., and I have to have an 8' bed with the ability to haul the family in comfort, it is one of the only and best choices for this. Build quality, duh, there is no comparison, Toyota. Just my 2 cents.
Your need for speed in an ecoboost over a tundra???? Lets examine this,

The tundra stock in 4x4 dc config will pull off a 0-60 of 6.5. The only ecoboost that will do that in 4x4 screw config is a 3.73 or 4.10 geared max tow package truck.

$400 tuner and your lifted on larger tires with 3.31 gears and you think your going to pull off mid 13's LOLOL Good luck with that one!

A 30yr racing buddy of mine tunes those trucks all day long. Plus a good friend has a ecoboost 4x4 screw with 3.73 gears, a tuner, cai, exh, and the best he can manage on a cold day is a 13.80 @ 99 mph at sea level on stock tires.

The best you are going to see with just a $400 tuner lifted 4x4 screw would be a very high 13 to low 14's at sea level ! on a cold day !

With that tuner you also just voided the powertrain warranty on your $40.000 truck.

Im not a fanboy of ANY make or model of truck or car. just a 50yr old horspower and speed junky that has been building and racing turbo and supercharged trucks and cars on the tracks and street for 30+yrs.

Your best bet for power would of been to just pony up the money for the supercharger for your tundra.

Then with a 4x4 dc config you could of surpassed your expectaions of running mid 13's with very low 13's to high 12's @ 103-106 mph on stock tires at sea level with easy mid 13's lifted on larger tires and not voided your powertrain warranty either. Plus 4.4 0-60 times in 4x4:D

You think that the way the ecoboost makes power is amazing. Go find someone that has a blower on a tundra and take that for a ride.
It makes driving my buddys ecoboost feel like a slug!

·
"Resident Liberal"
12,237 Posts
Everyone knows you get good gas mileage hauling a truckload of Cheetos. Now a truck load of Fritos is a different story.
There is even a difference between hauling baked cheetos vs fried (crunchy) cheetos.

·
Premium Member
829 Posts
Where did you get my picture from! I don't get people without real experience(own or at least seat time) putting their thoughts out, brand loyalty aside every vehicle is different regardless of manufacturer.

I've owned lots of new vehicles, but bought every one based on what suited my needs and likes, not by brand. All had good and bad. My 14.8 lifetime average is great for a truck under my particular driving conditions(Washington DC area), on the highway there is no problem getting 22mpg. I know a lot about engines, won't go into bunch of details, but the Ecoboost is built very well. It is not a marvel of new technology, just a nice combo of existing technology. Your GMC is so far behind in power, payload, towing capacity, interior quality etc., that it would be impossible to compare, but I would like your GMC for what it is. I had the opportunity to drive a new police interceptor with the Eco, and it is impressive, and outperforms the GM and Dodge offerings in almost every way. Get ready to see a lot of them, you would be surprised how many law enforcement agencies are implementing them. Bottom line...I don't think it is junk, drive one they are fun. Ok no more Ecobabble fom me, I'm here cause I own and like my new Tundra a lot and can't wait to start modding it.
I have driven an ecoboost. I was not impressed at all. It was very laggy just like other fords I have driven. I am not brand loyal, I get what works the best for me. I should have considered a Tundra a lot sooner, then I would probably have one instead of my GMC. Like I said I will never own another dodge again. I did test drive several gm trucks before I bought my current one and some of them with the same motor were laggy/sluggish. The one I got was not. My GMC is behind the Tundra in towing and payload but not behind the fords of the same year I looked at the numbers and test drove both before I bought it. I recently test drove Tundras and they blow all other trucks out of the water. My next truck will be a Tundra. I have to wait a little longer until I can get one. The only ford I would consider would be an older F250 or F350 with the 7.3 power stroke. I am also a person that believes that a full size truck should have a V8 in it. Also my GMC has plenty of power and towing. Yes it is less than a Tundra. When I drove my GMC from Texas to Oregon last year for a family emergency it went up steep mountain grades without a problem, it cant be that far behind in power or towing. I have towed quite a bit with it and no problems in that department either. The Tundra however does have more horse power, and more towing capacity.

·
Registered
389 Posts
If the Ford dealership had not pulled a bait and switch on me I would have bought a 2012 5.0 SuperCrew. They advertised a sweet deal on a loaded demo with like 1,000 miles on it for like $24,000. At the last minute they said they couldn't honor that price, they said it was a misprint.

Then after I had time to think about it I figured the cost of ownership would be less with the Toyota.

So I bought the one I have now and traded in a 2002 F150 SuperCrew with almost 200,000 miles. It was a pretty good truck but I felt it was nearing its end.

I think the new F150 with a 5.0 is a great truck, I just doubt it will outlast a Toyota.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Ford wants a pretty penny for their trucks, a similar equipped truck to my 2012 Tundra was 6-10k more depending on the dealership I went to.

.... I promptly drove off the lot.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Ford wants a pretty penny for their trucks, a similar equipped truck to my 2012 Tundra was 6-10k more depending on the dealership I went to.

.... I promptly drove off the lot.
I always figured a selling point of Ford F150 was a lower price vs similarly equipped Tundra. The reputation of Toyota seems to be pay a little more for the vehicle but it will outlast the others. I would not consider paying the same amount for the Ford either.

·
Registered
623 Posts
I'm telling you arguement about the tundra not being American is getting to me.tundras are built in San antonio,tx.i used to have a f150 I liked it but it was nothing close to the tundra.the tundra has alot of power for being stock.i would put it up against engines in other 1/2 tons for sure.one guy said that if you want good towing go f150.mine was a dog at pulling and the people I know with new ecoboosts say its alright.but nothing like the tundra.i see more goosenecks in tundras then f150's

·
Premium Member
1,933 Posts
Ford, Dodge, and Chevy have been building full size trucks for many many moons. Toyota came out with the full size Tundra in 2007.

For almost six years now Ford, Dodge, and Chevy fan boys have had to defend their trucks against the Tundra.

Oh it's ugly.
Oh, the frame.
Oh, it's not an American truck.

Whatevs. Just laid a bit of spanking on an Ecoburp today on Valley View. Didn't kill him, but I didn't loose. He was none too happy.

·
Cereal Killer
20,307 Posts
Every few years I buy the quickest mass produced truck available.
In 2008 the biggest stick was a Tundra RCSB with 5.7L :lol5:

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Honestly, it was the looks that made me get the Tundra. All trucks look good when lifted (Yes even the Titan and the Ram), but the Tundra just looks way better. As far as reliability goes, I believe that if you take care of your truck, it will last regardless the make.

My cousin drives a Raptor and he loves his truck but only thing he doesn't like about it is that it is made by Ford and has the F150 badge on it. Kinda doesn't make sense to me but it is what it is. LOL.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I guess that makes me a Toyota fanboy now?
yes

Funny, it came down to Toyota and GM for me. In the end, I went with a Silverado because IMO they look better and were cheaper. Toyota are great trucks, and if i wanted a truck to race i would of gotten the 5.7. But if I wanted to race, I would have kept my old mustang with an LSX swap that ran a mid 9 in the 1/4 mile or I could just hop on my CBR1000.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
I added a link to carcomplaints.com over on the BITOG post. Lets see what these guys come up with to attack that. haha. You guys should check this carcomplaints site. Lots of complaints, TSBs, and recalls for all makes/models/years. Good tool I think.

·
"TT's SLO'est 5.7"
434 Posts
I like the ford, but due to price, reclining rear seats, and electronic window of the Tundra, my choice was already made.

And I don't think any of their comments were harsh, nothing out of the norm that you don't see on any forum, including here.

·
Spooge Guzzler
6,318 Posts
yes

Funny, it came down to Toyota and GM for me. In the end, I went with a Silverado because IMO they look better and were cheaper. Toyota are great trucks, and if i wanted a truck to race i would of gotten the 5.7. But if I wanted to race, I would have kept my old mustang with an LSX swap that ran a mid 9 in the 1/4 mile or I could just hop on my CBR1000.
Yes, if you want to race, you don't get a truck, that part makes perfect sense.
But, if you want a truck, you don't base your decision on looks and price.
You base it on what's a better truck.
So, your logic is flawed on that part.
You could have found a Tundra for a great price.
Not all Tundras are expensive.
Only the whiz-bang platinum trims.
You can get a 5.7 4x4 dbl cab for under $30k, all day long.
I got a brand new '11 4x4 5.7 crewmax for just over $30k.
After tax, fees and 8yr, 75k mi warranty, I was right at $35k OTD.
And I'm gonna pay $1700 in interest, over 5 yrs.
So, I think people are basing their choices on looks alone. Because if you break it down and do the math and homework, the Tundra is a better truck and pound for pound, NOT more expensive.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Three years ago I drove a Chevy, Ford, and a Toyota when shopping for a replacement for my 2000 Tundra. I don't foresee buying anything else when I give this one to my son in 10 years. (he's 7 now and said he wants it already...)

21 - 40 of 48 Posts