Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The following is a document which leaked out of Ford and got into Toyota's hands:

F-150 Quick Facts vs. Tundra
We also wanted to share some quick facts on F-150 vs. Tundra. Remember,..more details are on the way including a full tear down of Tundra vs. F-150, but here are some quick facts to consider.

1) F-150 Offers BIC Capability
• F-150 is the first and only U8500 truck to offer 11,000 of towing - Best in Class.

• F- 150 the first and only U8500 truck that has a payload capacity over 3,000 pounds. At 3,050 pounds, F-150 is Best in Class.

• The closest competitor to F-150 has 890 pounds less of payload capacity. Tundra max payload is only 2,065 pounds.

2) F-150 is Built Ford Tough

• F-150’s frame is the strongest in the industry and fully boxed.

• Tundra’s frame isn’t fully boxed (only fully-boxed under engine; rest of the frame is C-Channel)

• F-150’s frame has through-rail, welded cross-members.

• Tundra cross members are not through-welded.

• F-150 has 3” wide rear leaf springs...same size as Super Duty! Tundra has smaller leaf springs.

• With more trucks on the road with over 250,000 miles than any other brand, F Series durability, reliability and ability to get the work done is proven like no other truck in America.
3) Powertrain

• Tundra is featuring their 5.7L engine, but we do not expect this to be their high volume engine.

• While it may look good in catalogs, the real battle will be won with volume engines. F-150’s volume engine is the 5.4L Triton V8 and we expect Tundra’s volume engine will be their 4.7L V8. How do these two volume engines compare?:
F-150 5.4L V8 300 HP @ 5,000 RPM 365 lb-ft. @ 3,750 RPM
Tundra 4.7L V8 271HP @ 5,400 RPM 3131b-ft. @ 3,400 RPM

4) Most Choices
F-150 has more selection to meet all customer needs

• F-150 offers the widest array of series choices of any pickup in America (XL, STX, XLT, FX4, Lariat, Harley, King Ranch) versus Tundra (Tundra base, SR5, Limited)

• F-150 offers 10 different cab/box combinations while Tundra only offers 5

• F-150 has 12 wheels to choose from (17” to 22”) versus Tundra with 5 (four 18” and one 20”)

• F-150 has more than double the number of seating configurations versus Tundra, offering unique interior environments ranging from a base work truck to a top-of-the line crew cab.
When you take into account the full F-Series lineup, F-150 and Super Duty provide the most capable array of pickups in America. From a base XL, Regular Cab, V6 Manual F-l50 to an F-550 Chassis Cab, 6.4L Diesel Super Duty, Ford Trucks come to work with a full mechanics tool chest. Tundra..well...that is what you might call an adjustable wrench. In fact, when Tundra went to film its launch commercials, they posted a “making of” video on their website. Sure enough, the trucks seen in the background of the job site, used by workers to build the massive commercial set, are F-Series.

5) Value Comparison
Throughout the lineup, F-150 offers more value for the money. Some MSRP examples are provided below:
Tundra F-150 Difference
_____________________________ MSRP MSRP
Base Regular Cab 4X2 $22,290 $18,275 $4,015
Base Super Cab/Double Cab 4X4 $37,290 $33,125 $4,165
(Lariat/Limited)
Base Super Cab/Double Cab 4X2 $34,240 $30,125 $4,115
(Lariat/Limited)
Base SuperCrew/CrewMax 4X4 $40,590 $35,525 $5,065
(Lariat/Limited)
Base SuperCrew/CrewMax 4X2 $38,790 $32,525 $6,265
(Lariat/Limited)

6) Design

• Feedback from customers who have cross-shopped Tundra but then purchased an F- 150 demonstrates that many of them have been very disappointed with the Tundra’s car-like interior. Gauge readability, quality of material touch-points, ability to reach key controls and toughness of design are all issues for Tundra.

• The new Tundra CrewMax is making a few headlines for having reclining rear seats and quite bit of legroom, but these are not reasons that most customers buy half ton pickups. After you get by these gimmicks, many are calling the CrewMax awkward looking, especially given the limits of only offering a 5.5 ft. box. Like the Ram Mega Cab, many are questioning if the Tundra CrewMax is trying to answer a question that nobody asked.
7.) F-Series Product and Our Owners Make the Difference

• The Super Duty is essentially all-new and has received rave reviews from the press and customers alike. The Texas Auto Writers Association just named the 2008 Super Duty the “Truck of Texas”...and for good reason as it is America’s most capable pickup...period!

• The new U8500 pickups in the market have benchmarked our F-150. The competition is heating up, but they haven’t caught up. F-150 has won more awards then any other ½ ton pickup in history. It remains the toughest and most capable pickup in America.
There are more F-series owners in American then any other brand of pickup. Make sure your Dealers reach out to their customers and dispel the myth. We have a great F-series story.

· Registered
188 Posts
ford, no way. Not in my driveway either. Sells are down for both ford & chevy. Heck, I don't see how they can even compare the two trucks. The Tundra looks better, drives way better, tows better and offers better safety features wherre you have to pay to get on both ford and chevy. Until they can offer a better truck I think you will see more and more switch to the Tundra. I would almost bet that most truck owners stay with their ford or chevy because they are worried about what people will say. Now thats the wrong reason to keep buying a truck if you ask me.

· Banned
568 Posts
The new Tundra is a good truck with the best powertrain but I wish it was a class leader in everything. Now if the Ford or Chevy had better powertrains they would have nothing to fear from Toyota. I just might wait on buying a new Tundra to see what the competion will come out with in the next year. At least it will drive Tundra prices down along with the 3 dollar a gallon gas.

I am in no hurry to lose a couple of miles to the gallon in an 07 compared to my 01 Tundra. Plus I have had no problems with my 01 and really like it. Just wish it had a little more tow capacity, but I rarely tow anyway.:)

· Registered
17 Posts
• While it may look good in catalogs, the real battle will be won with volume engines. F-150’s volume engine is the 5.4L Triton V8 and we expect Tundra’s volume engine will be their 4.7L V8. How do these two volume engines compare?:
F-150 5.4L V8 300 HP @ 5,000 RPM 365 lb-ft. @ 3,750 RPM
Tundra 4.7L V8 271HP @ 5,400 RPM 3131b-ft. @ 3,400 RPM

This is not a true statement. The 5.7L will be the volume engine. It is rated better on gas than the 4.7L and it is only a little more expensive.

How come no mention from Ford about it's lack of safety features and the fact that it cannot out perform a Tundra?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.