Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So we all know the issues that many 2010+ owners are having with their steering racks blowing out on lifted applications and that 2009 and earlier generally are not having any issues with the steering rack when lifted. I have read virtually all the threads about it and done research through Google but no one has ever been able to come up with the real reason why this is happening (bad batch of racks/racks made in Japan vs USA/change to variable power steering in 2010, etc). Per the last information I could find, Toyota had issued a technical service tip but that was last summer or so and I have not seen any updates on it.

With all the info out there about this, I have never seen anyone collect data on truck build dates. So, that's what I want to accomplish with this thread - if there is a correlation with model year, did changes get implemented at the start of the model year or sometime in the middle? I want to lift my 2010 but I don't feel confident to do so at this time.

2010 owners - please post your Tundra's build date (found on door jam sticker) and whether you are lifted/leveled and if you have experienced rack failure.
My truck - build date 4/09 (must have been a very early 2010), no lift, no rack failure

Thanks for your help with this!

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Common guys this is important, post up please!

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK well I thought this post would get lots of replies and be helpful to all of us by gathering data that hasn't been gathered before. 140 views and no responses tells me either a) that this topic has been beaten to death and I am late to the party and no one is interested in discussing it anymore or b) no one owns a 2010 but me (which of course is false). Sad because clearly Toyota isn't going to step up to the plate and help us so we should be working together to help try to solve/isolate this. I am sure I am not the only 2010 owner hesitant to lift their truck because of this. I'll let this thread die then if there is no interest from my fellow Tundra owners. :(

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The better question is did you read them? There is nothing in any of the threads about build date. Read my post and those before you comment.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Seems to me that IT DOESNT FACKING MATTER WHAT THE BUILD DATE IS.... they re-designed for 2010 with a variable pressure pump which is causing the problems (possibly related to VSC). There have been a couple earlier models but not very damm many.

I have a 2010 and I will be putting on a 3/1 level as soon as possible... its supposed to arrive today. Would it suck if the rack blew.... absolutely. Will I take it to Toyota to get it fixed hopefully on warranty... absolutely.

Buck up dude... ain't nothing you can do about it and if you think Toyota gives two rat shiits about a thread on TT about it you are sorely mistaken.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
452 Posts
Seems to me that IT DOESNT FACKING MATTER WHAT THE BUILD DATE IS.... they re-designed for 2010 with a variable pressure pump which is causing the problems (possibly related to VSC). There have been a couple earlier models but not very damm many.

I have a 2010 and I will be putting on a 3/1 level as soon as possible... its supposed to arrive today. Would it suck if the rack blew.... absolutely. Will I take it to Toyota to get it fixed hopefully on warranty... absolutely.

Buck up dude... ain't nothing you can do about it and if you think Toyota gives two rat shiits about a thread on TT about it you are sorely mistaken.

Dudue, is it just me or are noobs getting a little annoying on this site lately? I haven't posted in a while because of some of the non-researched, know-it-all responses I get on posts. Just my vent.....

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Dudue, is it just me or are noobs getting a little annoying on this site lately? I haven't posted in a while because of some of the non-researched, know-it-all responses I get on posts. Just my vent.....
I'm not a FACKING NOOB I've been driving Toyota trucks my entire life. I've done the research, hours of it. I don't post much because of people like you who think they know it all. Thanks for participating in ruining my thread that was meant to be helpful. Just my vent.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

It SEEMS to you? Wow, that is real factual! It may very well FACKING MATTER what the build date is as many owners are NOT having the failure so we DO NOT know that it is related to the redesign or a bad batch of racks, etc. We know the redesigned it but redesigns don't always happen for the ENTIRE model year. THAT is the point I am trying to make and help us figure out! I know Toyota doesn't give a hoot about this thread, it was meant to help US OWNERS gather more data and make a better informed decision! Go buck up yourself. Thanks for ruining my thread.

Moderators, please lock this thread, clearly no one is interested in actually HELPING.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
A bad batch of racks.... over 3 years.... no, sorry.

After 8 seconds of research I've come to the conclusion that ALMOST every single one of your posts on this forum is concerned with lift kits and build dates. Why are you so obsessed with this? At the rate you are going you will buy a new truck before you ever decide to lift your current one.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
A bad batch of racks.... over 3 years.... no, sorry.

After 8 seconds of research I've come to the conclusion that ALMOST every single one of your posts on this forum is concerned with lift kits and build dates. Why are you so obsessed with this? At the rate you are going you will buy a new truck before you ever decide to lift your current one.

Well considering that almost half of my entire post count is in this one thread, that would make sense, no? I would hope that anyone who is considering dropping big coin on a mod for their vehicle would do their due diligence before making the decision. If that is obsessing to you, then so be it. It's all about making the best, informed decision I can for myself and my family. I just don't get why you and others are all over my back when all I want to do is help myself and fellow Tundra owners.

·
Registered
8,147 Posts
If you are really serious about collecting data, why didn't you make a poll? (or is this just a feeler thread?) The way you come across in this thread (simple observation on my part) and the linked thread (2010 owners - please read/respond) does not give the members much confidence on the relevance of what you are asking, your capacity to analyze the data once collected, and any sort of good will that we will benefit from the endeavor (or any combination thereof).

Reactions: riccnick

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
If you are really serious about collecting data, why didn't you make a poll? (or is this just a feeler thread?) The way you come across in this thread (simple observation on my part) and the linked thread (2010 owners - please read/respond) does not give the members much confidence on the relevance of what you are asking, your capacity to analyze the data once collected, and any sort of good will that we will benefit from the endeavor (or any combination thereof).
I didn't think a poll would work too well since I was looking to collect specific manufacture dates/is it lifted/was their failure. There would have been too many choices to choose between. I had hoped to get enough of a sample size to see if there was any correlation between them and post up the results in a fashion that allowed members to see the data clearly without searching through pages of responses. I have the capacity to analyze the data, I can promise that, it's part of what I do for a living. Maybe my work wouldn't have shown any correlation, but at least then we would all have known.

Thanks for the professional reply, I appreciate it, and I apologize if my original posting didn't come off in a way that it was to be beneficial for all to contribute.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
I still don't see its benefit. You can easily see in the threads provided earlier that there is a range, spreading over several years, where these failures exist. How are build dates going to help us at all.

Answer that for me and I will be happy to participate and stop busting your balls.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I still don't see its benefit. You can easily see in the threads provided earlier that there is a range, spreading over several years, where these failures exist. How are build dates going to help us at all.

Answer that for me and I will be happy to participate and stop busting your balls.

I understand that. We know the failures started in 2010, but we don't know if perhaps there was a specific point in time in the 2010 model year that they started. We also don't know if the change to variable power steering started with the first truck off the assembly line in 2010 model year or if the change occurred mid model year, for example. If we could isolate this by collected the build data it might give some 2010 owners at least the confidence to lift their trucks. I just want to help, that's all.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Its a design change for 2010 model year... if you have a 2010 or newer you are at risk. I don't think there is enough data from this forum that you can collect to get a 100% answer to your question. Just not big enough of a sample size.

Lift it and save $400 to buy a new rack in case it fails. Or don't lift it and buy something else for the truck.

Sorry I pissed in your thread but I just feel like you will be dissapointed with the lack of info you will get and you will be right back where you started.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts