Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed the Flowmaster American Thunder kit on my 2015 CrewMax 5.7 4x4. It took about 2 hours doing it myself and was VERY easy. No welding, cutting, or anything else. I have a compressor so that makes it a bit easier, but you could certainly do this with a socket set. I picked it up from a vendor on eBay for ~$600, brand new. It's a catback and uses the 40-series big block muffler. I've pretty much done a Flowmaster on every truck I've owned for the last 15 years, although I know there are other great choices out there as well.

The power feels better from low end to high end, although i'm sure that's mostly because the sound/feel. If it gives any power, great, if not, I really just wanted it for the look of the rear exit pipes and of course the sound! :D

Here's a quick video post install:

·
Registered
8,147 Posts
Nice sound. Congrats.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Looks awesome! Are you noticing any drone?
The only times I notice it is if I'm going uphill, in top gear, giving it some gas to stay at speed, and it's maybe 1,600rpm. But not drone like a usual droning noise, it's more like the deepness of the exhaust coming in. But that's compared to stock. Most aftermarket setups have way more "drone" than this. I think this setup is a great compromise of a deep rumble, ripping tone when you get on it, and nearly silent at speed with only the slightest deep/drone noise where I mention it above.

For me, I wanted to install it myself and put it back to stock by myself if I ever wanted to rather than a welded in kit (I usually spend $450 at the local shops to weld in a 40-series and piping, with tips). I didn't want too loud, or too quiet. Flowmaster makes two other setups, one louder and one quieter. The louder one they say has a lot of drone, but really sounds mean outside of the truck all the time.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Weedo,

Sounds Sweet and looks great! Which model Flow master did you go with?
I want to do mine, still undecided. Flow, Borla, BAmuffle.

Thx
It's the Flowmaster American Thunder kit (comes with the 40-series Big Block muffler, all piping, clamps, tips, etc...). Figure at a bit over $600 installed (by me, ha) it was WELL worth the look and the sound. Also very high quality kit, obviously with mandrel bends.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
I just installed the Flowmaster American Thunder kit on my 2015 CrewMax 5.7 4x4. It took about 2 hours doing it myself and was VERY easy. No welding, cutting, or anything else. I have a compressor so that makes it a bit easier, but you could certainly do this with a socket set. I picked it up from a vendor on eBay for ~$600, brand new. It's a catback and uses the 40-series big block muffler. I've pretty much done a Flowmaster on every truck I've owned for the last 15 years, although I know there are other great choices out there as well.

The power feels better from low end to high end, although i'm sure that's mostly because the sound/feel. If it gives any power, great, if not, I really just wanted it for the look of the rear exit pipes and of course the sound! :D

Here's a quick video post install:

Flowmaster American Thunder - 2015 Toyota Tundra - YouTube
I know you have this BIG A$$ smile on your face when you hop in your truck. I know the feeling. :D

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
The only times I notice it is if I'm going uphill, in top gear, giving it some gas to stay at speed, and it's maybe 1,600rpm. But not drone like a usual droning noise, it's more like the deepness of the exhaust coming in. But that's compared to stock. Most aftermarket setups have way more "drone" than this. I think this setup is a great compromise of a deep rumble, ripping tone when you get on it, and nearly silent at speed with only the slightest deep/drone noise where I mention it above.

For me, I wanted to install it myself and put it back to stock by myself if I ever wanted to rather than a welded in kit (I usually spend $450 at the local shops to weld in a 40-series and piping, with tips). I didn't want too loud, or too quiet. Flowmaster makes two other setups, one louder and one quieter. The louder one they say has a lot of drone, but really sounds mean outside of the truck all the time.
This you cannot find that sound on any other exhaust system and may I add that muscle hot rod sound. I have own Flowmaster since the early '90 and I admit I'm a fanboy of Flowmaster sound.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts