Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

21 - 40 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Thanks, @j_fuggin_t

That is good to know about the P0109 code- i had not seen it before and it had me a bit worried. I'll check with BD in the morning and then reflash. I have to get this truck operational as I have some big tows ahead of me and right now I am dead in the water.

You get your lean issue fixed? What was the problem?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
You get your lean issue fixed? What was the problem?

What is the old saying, a picture is worth a thousand words?

I finally broke down and had it towed to the dealer today. We'll see what those knuckleheads come up with.

I followed everyone's advice (Thanks again, dudes):

1. I swapped in the OEM fuel pump relay to no effect
2. I checked all hoses for leaks and liberally sprayed brake cleaner around the engine bay with no conclusive result
3. I attempted to reset the alch density %
4. I disconnected the battery to allow the fuel trims to reset:

After this step the truck would start normally, but would almost immediately die as if there is a fuel starvation issue. If I try to apply a little go pedal it will bounce between too high revs and almost dying.

5. I removed the Magnusson tune and flashed on the newest tune

My guess is there is not enough fuel pressure - the pump took a $hit?

Hopefully the dealer can figure it out, but I am mostly expecting to hear complaints about the supercharger on a FF truck, blah, blah, blah. I think it is highly unlikely my issue is directly tied to the Supercharger at all, but we shall see. I just want my truck back.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts

I finally broke down and had it towed to the dealer today. We'll see what those knuckleheads come up with.

2. I checked all hoses for leaks and liberally sprayed brake cleaner around the engine bay with no conclusive result

After this step the truck would start normally, but would almost immediately die as if there is a fuel starvation issue. If I try to apply a little go pedal it will bounce between too high revs and almost dying.

Hopefully the dealer can figure it out, but I am mostly expecting to hear complaints about the supercharger on a FF truck, blah, blah, blah. I think it is highly unlikely my issue is directly tied to the Supercharger at all, but we shall see. I just want my truck back.

Damn hope it isn't too bad. There's no capable dealers in my area so I'm just praying for the best on my setup. Lol. Trying to get all the info and upgrades possible to keep me running in top shape for the life of my truck. That being said anyone heard of or have done this fuel pump in their SC'd truck? Thinking of doing mine as a preventative measure. I'm also hearing the fuel system in our trucks is the weakest link and needs upgrading.
http://urdusa.com/store/Fuel-Upgrades-Fuel-Pumps/c79_12/p1260519493/URD-2007+-Tundra,-Fuel-Pump/Filter-Upgrade-Kit/product_info.html

·
Registered
202 Posts
Damn hope it isn't too bad. There's no capable dealers in my area so I'm just praying for the best on my setup. Lol. Trying to get all the info and upgrades possible to keep me running in top shape for the life of my truck. That being said anyone heard of or have done this fuel pump in their SC'd truck? Thinking of doing mine as a preventative measure. I'm also hearing the fuel system in our trucks is the weakest link and needs upgrading.
Underdog Racing Development

are you thinking of the 340 pump? are you supercharged?
someone on here did a pump test with the stock supercharger pump and a 255 and a 340, i do not recall the results. perhaps a search?
fuel injectors, duty cycle, and fuel line capacity quickly become an issue as well....

·
Premium Member
947 Posts
That being said anyone heard of or have done this fuel pump in their SC'd truck? Thinking of doing mine as a preventative measure.
Underdog Racing Development
Out of the pumps listed in the link you provided, none are a direct fit for our trucks as far as I know.
Also, the Walbro 255 lph flows well below the stock Denso S/C pump.
The Aeromotive 340 does not fit without modification.
If you want to updgrade yours, the pump you want to use is the Aeromotive 325 lph part number 11165.
It is a direct fit into the Tundra fuel pump canister.
I have them in both of my trucks.

I'm also hearing the fuel system in our trucks is the weakest link and needs upgrading.
You will max out the injectors well before you max out the fuel pump.
I was running 98% injector duty cycle with full ASP pulley kit at 10 PSI of boost.
If you are running stock boost you have nothing to worry about though, the stock pump and injectors are plenty for that.

are you thinking of the 340 pump? are you supercharged?
someone on here did a pump test with the stock supercharger pump and a 255 and a 340, i do not recall the results. perhaps a search?
fuel injectors, duty cycle, and fuel line capacity quickly become an issue as well....
I did a test of stock pump vs S/C pump vs Aeromotive 325.
The Aeromotive was marginally better than stock with no line restriction.
I did not test them at a regulated pressure.
restosud tested it at higher pressures and the Aeromotive 325 had a significantly higher flow than the stock S/C pump

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Out of the pumps listed in the link you provided, none are a direct fit for our trucks.
The AEM 340 does not fit without modification.
If you want to updgrade yours, the pump you want to use is the AEM 325 lph part number 11165.

You will max out the injectors well before you max out the fuel pump.
I was running 98% injector duty cycle with full ASP pulley kit at 10 PSI of boost.
If you are running stock boost you have nothing to worry about though, the stock pump and injectors are plenty for that.

I did a test of stock pump vs S/C pump vs AEM 325.
The AEM was marginally better than stock with no line restriction.
I did not test them at a regulated pressure.
restosud tested it at higher pressures and the AEM 325 had a significantly higher flow than the stock S/C pump

Thankyou very much for the info. Not planning on going any higher on the boost so I'll just leave it the way it is. What's your take on the fuel filter? Is it really necessary to drop the tank every 30k miles to replace? The external filter is appealing imo

·
Premium Member
947 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Out of the pumps listed in the link you provided, none are a direct fit for our trucks.
The AEM 340 does not fit without modification.
If you want to updgrade yours, the pump you want to use is the AEM 325 lph part number 11165.

the only thing i found was aeromotive stealth 325 with p/n 11165. is this the same/right pump?

·
Premium Member
947 Posts
the only thing i found was aeromotive stealth 325 with p/n 11165. is this the same/right pump?
Sorry, my mistake, that is the one you want, the Aeromotive stealth 11165.

·
Premium Member
947 Posts

·
Registered
650 Posts
Not sure if my 2 cents will be any help.

Back when we were installing the SC on my FFV Tundra, I was running in to a lean condition with my Unichip. After a bunch of BS with Unichip I found that running the stock air box improved the A/F ratio due to the MAF seeing a higher volume of air flowing through the inlet tube. By running the large air box it would throw off MAF because it thought there was less air flow than there actually was.

I have been running the stock air box and have not had any issues with a lean condition.

Just a suggestion.

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Not sure if my 2 cents will be any help.

Back when we were installing the SC on my FFV Tundra, I was running in to a lean condition with my Unichip. After a bunch of BS with Unichip I found that running the stock air box improved the A/F ratio due to the MAF seeing a higher volume of air flowing through the inlet tube. By running the large air box it would throw off MAF because it thought there was less air flow than there actually was.

I have been running the stock air box and have not had any issues with a lean condition.

Just a suggestion.

I haven’t tried that yet. Maybe I’ll give it a whirl tomorrow and see what it does.

·
Registered
177 Posts

Desmodromic - What was the problem with your truck? Did it turn out to be the fuel pump? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Desmodromic - What was the problem with your truck? Did it turn out to be the fuel pump? Thanks!
Well, it turns out that I may be the knuclehead. The service writer said the tech found a leaf in the intake tube. I remove the air filter and pulled the MAF and both were clean. I guess when I pulled the MAF it jostled the leaf and blocked enough air that the truck would not run. Definitely annoying that I was tripped up by a leaf. I spoke to Magnuson, BD, Sparks and polled TT and the issue did not seem MAF related.

Anyhoo, the truck runs fine now, except for the dogsh1t shifts that came with the updated tune from Magnuson/BD. Shifts were mostly fine with the original Mag/BD tune I first installed. Maybe it is because I installed "performance" shifts with the latest tune.

Long story short, save yourself the headache and buy a non-FFV Tundra if you want to SC a Tundra. All the FF options are half-assed at best.

Next up, I need to track down Dustin and see if a DAP tune can finally provide a real solution.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Thanks for the quick reply! But please say it ain't so on the "buy a non-FFV Tundra!" That's all I got and I still want the SC. DAP will most likely be the way I'll go too since I'm in Flower Mound and he's just a short jog over to Fort Worth.

Glad it wasn't more serious and BTW - Kudos to the dealer that was honest about the problem

·
Registered
9 Posts
Well, it turns out that I may be the knuclehead. The service writer said the tech found a leaf in the intake tube. I remove the air filter and pulled the MAF and both were clean. I guess when I pulled the MAF it jostled the leaf and blocked enough air that the truck would not run. Definitely annoying that I was tripped up by a leaf. I spoke to Magnuson, BD, Sparks and polled TT and the issue did not seem MAF related.
Can we start calling your kit a 'leaf blower' now? :lol5:

So recently i've been paying more attention to what the truck is doing, esp once chatting with the guys from DAPtuning and here are some observations that we've come across.

Sensors i'm monitoring:
Timing
Knock
Rpm
Gear
Temps

Results from said sensors:
Timing: 18-21 + advance *until* 4500 rpms
knock: sits steady at 18 (essentially detecting no knock) *until* 4500 rpms

Those are the two important ones along with the AFR, afr is pretty solid in the mid 11's until it gets around 4200 rpms, thats when it gets hairy. 4200 is when it starts to creep up to the 12.1-12.0 range and then the afr drops to 10.3-10.9. So i used the edge insight CTS2 to datalog this. At those times where it drops and creeps up is when the knock sensor detects whats going on for the conditions. The knock sensor reading has gotten as low as 11.5 (not sure exactly how to explain how much that is) but when it does that time timing advance makes it way to maybe +3 - +5. There is obviously some tweaking of the tune that needs to be done. I've given these results to magnuson in hopes that they can remedy the situation.

I've thought of maybe dropping to a step colder plug to help some. I run 93 e10 fuel (unfortunately) and i run the stock fit kit plugs (IKH22 denso).. any of the smart guys have any thoughts, theory's possible remedy's etc.. ??
What does your intake air temperature look like?

21 - 40 of 67 Posts