Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm about to buy a new tundra. 2014 CM 5.7 SR5 TRD off road. I live in Florida (southeast region) which only sells the Flex Fuel Versions. I could drive several hours to New Orleans (gulf coast region) to buy a non-Flex Fuel version. Is the drive worth it? What are the advantages and disadvantages of the FFV? I've heard of problems from the ECU on the FFV. I will probably never put any E85 in the truck, and I could potentially live in a cold climate soon. Are there any advantages to the FFV, should I be afraid of the FFV?

If go to The gulf coast region (non-FFV), do you have any preferences on local dealers?

Also: Silver, White, or MGM?

Thanks,
Gene

·
Premium Member
10,869 Posts
If you want a Super Charger then you cannot get a flexfool. If you don't care about a super charger then a flexfool is fine, just don't go using that horrible E85 crap though even though you "can". Mine is a flexfool as well.

·
Premium Member
690 Posts
If you want a Super Charger then you cannot get a flexfool. If you don't care about a super charger then a flexfool is fine, just don't go using that horrible E85 crap though even though you "can". Mine is a flexfool as well.
+1

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
Up here in snow country, the flex fuel vehicles are a nightmare. They just don't like cold weather.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Up here in snow country, the flex fuel vehicles are a nightmare. They just don't like cold weather.
What kind of problems are they having? Are they with or without E85? In the military you never know where you will live.

·
Registered
423 Posts
my flexy has been pretty good to me. I'm not looking for a SC and the winters are not really a winter around here. Of course it has never tasted that 85 crap either, especially at the price compared to regular.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Sparks Toyota-Scion Online Performance Parts Catalog

I believe from what I have read in these forums that TRD Sparks has installed Super Chargers on many FF vehicles.

I think the flex fuel vehicles must be built with better fuel distribution elements, due to the alcohol issues with E85. I could see the E85 having cold weather issues, do to condensation and water in the fuel. However, being a FF capable vehicle, doesn't mean you have to burn it. I don't and haven't had any issues.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Out of reliability concerns and principle, I would not purchase a truck with a FFV engine.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I'm about to buy a new tundra. 2014 CM 5.7 SR5 TRD off road. I live in Florida (southeast region) which only sells the Flex Fuel Versions. I could drive several hours to New Orleans (gulf coast region) to buy a non-Flex Fuel version. Is the drive worth it? What are the advantages and disadvantages of the FFV? I've heard of problems from the ECU on the FFV. I will probably never put any E85 in the truck, and I could potentially live in a cold climate soon. Are there any advantages to the FFV, should I be afraid of the FFV?

If go to The gulf coast region (non-FFV), do you have any preferences on local dealers?

Also: Silver, White, or MGM?

Thanks,
Gene
I live in Panama City and I rarely have seen flex fuel tundras on the lot. I believe we are Southeast here. We are right on the Gulf so I'm not sure why its still Southeast region.

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
Reliability wise as long as you're not using the e85 you should be fine. I've had no probs with my truck other than I want a sc and can't get one. (Btw: sparks claims they've done a whole bunch of the ffv sc but yet none of those ppl are around to attest to it) I'd drive to get a regular model instead of ffv. Just my opinion

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I live in Panama City and I rarely have seen flex fuel tundras on the lot. I believe we are Southeast here. We are right on the Gulf so I'm not sure why its still Southeast region.
I'm over near Pensacola. Both, Bob Tyler and Eastern Shore, can only order FFV for the 5.7 SR5 CM. They seem to be limited by their distribution network (I think the vehicles come through Jacksonville-ish and only go to FL, GA, AL, and SC maybe). I think I might have to drive over to LA or MS. Now I need to find a good dealer with the lifetime warranty.

·
Registered
13,893 Posts
fwiw, my flex is fine...

Just can't s/c as easily.
Fwiw, flex will be more versatile, especially when the government mandates 15% or more ethanol... Also the fuel system itself is ethanol resistant far more than a non flex, which is why it is more versatile. It actually offers more longevity over non flex fuel systems technologically speaking. It is made for more ethanol, ethanol offers less lubricity than standard gasoline, the flex is made to take it. Aside from the newer models issues with the ethanol reading there have been no issues so far. Fuel lines will not rot, O-rings on injectors and the injector themselves will not swell/shrink/rot with the ethanol like non flex systems will...

I am safe as far as fuels go till at least 2018... Just I can not s/c as easily. Not impossible, just not as easily.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Haven't seen this mentioned yet......
Toyota recommends the 2013 tundra 5.7 without flex fuel have the oil changed every 10k miles, w/flex fuel have the oil changed at 5k, AND..... if you use E85, every 2500 miles. (see below)

From the 2013 Tundra FFV Warranty & MAINTENANCE GUIDE:

Flex Fuel Vehicles (Use of E85)
When using E85 fuel, your engine oil and
oil filter may need to be replaced more
often. If using E85 fuel more than 50% of
the time, change the engine oil and oil
filter every 2,500 miles or 3 months. If
using E85 fuel less than 50% of the time,
follow the normal engine oil and oil filter
change schedule (5,000 miles or
6 months).

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
I'm not a motorhead, but common sense tells me that with this directive, e85 actually ruins an engine? Or else works it harder, and causes more wear and tear on internals, enough to justify more frequent oil changes?

So, let me get this straight...we buy more corn gas, and at the same time buy more oil? WTF? Biggest scam since Amway :yesnod:
Yup that shit will never touch my tank. The oil change interval difference is in anticipation that ppl will use it nothing more. That's what I was told.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I bought a FF without even thinking twice. The truck was used when I bought it, it was in great condition, low miles, and a really good price, so I pulled the trigger. At the time, mods of any kind never even crossed my mind (with the exception of suspension, wheels, and tires). Now that I have it, I wish I had held out and bought a non FF because even though I don't have an extra 5K just laying around for a supercharger, it really pisses me off that I can't get one if I decide I want one (I know there is a piggyback work around that people say works just fine, but I'm not really willing to risk something going wrong and blowing up my engine). So if it were me and I could do it over I would definitely go with non FF, especially if the only thing I had to do was drive a few hours (I actually drove about 2.5 hrs to get my truck).

·
Registered
277 Posts
fwiw, my flex is fine...

Just can't s/c as easily.
Fwiw, flex will be more versatile, especially when the government mandates 15% or more ethanol... Also the fuel system itself is ethanol resistant far more than a non flex, which is why it is more versatile. It actually offers more longevity over non flex fuel systems technologically speaking. It is made for more ethanol, ethanol offers less lubricity than standard gasoline, the flex is made to take it. Aside from the newer models issues with the ethanol reading there have been no issues so far. Fuel lines will not rot, O-rings on injectors and the injector themselves will not swell/shrink/rot with the ethanol like non flex systems will...

I am safe as far as fuels go till at least 2018... Just I can not s/c as easily. Not impossible, just not as easily.
Power, do you use e85 on a regular basis?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts