Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

41 - 59 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Guys I need some help.

I'm running these in front: https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/tail-brake-turn/74407443-ck-led-bulb-dual-function-27-smd-led-tower-wedge-retrofit/3554/9040/

and these in the rear: https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/rear-turn-signal-light-bulb/194-led-bulb-5-smd-led-tower-miniature-wedge-retrofit-lan/3305/

With the .27 ohm resistors, I get hyperflashing on the dash, and no lights illuminate at all.

With the .22 ohm resistors, I get hyperflashing on the dash, the rears do illuminate hyper, and the front lights don't illuminate at all.

I didn't test them with the stock wire resistors, I wish I had.

I'm not sure what else to do, other than throw an assortment of resistors at it until I find the right combo.

·
Super Moderator
5,323 Posts
Guys I need some help.

I'm running these in front: https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/tail-brake-turn/74407443-ck-led-bulb-dual-function-27-smd-led-tower-wedge-retrofit/3554/9040/

and these in the rear: https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/rear-turn-signal-light-bulb/194-led-bulb-5-smd-led-tower-miniature-wedge-retrofit-lan/3305/

With the .27 ohm resistors, I get hyperflashing on the dash, and no lights illuminate at all.

With the .22 ohm resistors, I get hyperflashing on the dash, the rears do illuminate hyper, and the front lights don't illuminate at all.

I'm not sure what else to do, other than throw an assortment of resistors at it until I find the right combo.
For LEDs on all your turn signals, you need 3 ohm resistors. It is easiest to install them in the rear.

·
Registered
927 Posts
One 3ohm per side does both front and rear LED bulbs. If only running front or rear (just 1 LED per side of truck), put a 6ohm on that light.
This is what I did per Vleds instructions. I will mention if you go the 3ohm route, only put them in the rear. This is per Vleds as well. They stated if you put them in the front, they run to hot because of the dtrl.

·
Cereal Killer
20,307 Posts
Guys I need some help.

Another dude further up the thread used lower valued resistors than yours and his worked, i.e. you have gone further up in sense resistor value and still have issues. This suggests you may have another problem.
The bulbs you bought may not have separate (isolated) circuits between clearance (dim) and flash (bright). If this is correct, you may be getting some current bleed between these circuits through the bulbs. You may have to add diodes to prevent this.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Mr. Creosote, you wrote:

"The bulbs you bought may not have separate (isolated) circuits between clearance (dim) and flash (bright). If this is correct, you may be getting some current bleed between these circuits through the bulbs. You may have to add diodes to prevent this."

Could you elaborate on where one would install said diodes?

As with a couple of other posters, I am only getting hyper-flashing when my marker lights are on. I suspect that this is a result of a bleed through effect, but I would think this is happening inside the LED bulbs.

I have only replaced the front turn signal bulbs with "non polarity" LED's, the rear bulbs are still incandescent.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thank you Mr. Creosote for your speedy reply,

After some testing (in my case), the problem was that the marker light and turn signal functions were both illuminating all of the LED's in the bulb - the marker light function just lights the LED's up half as bright as the turn signal function does.

So, when the marker lights were turned off, the turn signal function was drawing enough current through the flasher module to flash properly (every LED in the bulb flashes from off to "bright").

But, when the marker lights were turned on they provided half the current required to make the LED's become "bright". Thus, when using the marker light and turn signal functions simultaneously - the turn signal function was no longer drawing enough current through the flasher module to flash properly (every LED in the bulb flashes from "dim" to "bright").

So I went ahead and opened up the flasher module - shaved down the two "sensing" hoops to roughly half of their original diameter.

Problem Solved!

Thank you guys for posting such detailed information - Collectively, you guys are Rock Stars!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Did not work on an 05 double cab. Shaved quite a bit off as well. Mine is the version with 6 total turn signal bulbs. 4x front and 2x back. So I ended up ordering a custom flasher relay to fix the issue.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I completed the steps on shaving down the two prongs. Blinkers work only if lights are one click on. When headlights are on they don’t work.
Any suggestions?
the led blinker bulbs are not switch back. They’re just plain 3157 ck amber bulbs

·
Registered
7 Posts
Finally got the LED's Turn signals to work! De-soldered the two wires and re-soldered two .12 ohm resistors! Works like factory!
I just did the same thing, removed the two stock “resistors” and soldiered in two .15 ohm resistors. Works like a charm. Note this was for a 2013 Toyota Tundra in which I did all turn signals (front and back) plus the marker lights. I would have used the route of shaving down the stock resistors, but I tried this and couldn’t get the resistance down enough to prevent hyper flash. By shaving I was able to get the resistance down enough for the blinkers to work without the headlights on, but once the headlights were on it went back to hyper flash. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I completed the steps on shaving down the two prongs. Blinkers work only if lights are one click on. When headlights are on they don’t work.
Any suggestions?
the led blinker bulbs are not switch back. They’re just plain 3157 ck amber bulbs
See my post just below this one, I had the same issue. Buy some .15 ohm resistors (see same thread from another person, there is a link to amazon) and soldier them in. Works like a charm.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Did not work on an 05 double cab. Shaved quite a bit off as well. Mine is the version with 6 total turn signal bulbs. 4x front and 2x back. So I ended up ordering a custom flasher relay to fix the issue.
Where did you get a custom flasher relay? I wasn’t able to find one the mated up to the existing wiring harness

41 - 59 of 59 Posts