Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
i know alot of you would rather swap out your flasher relay than install load resistors to stop your LED turn signals from hyper-flashing, but thats not an option on our truck. so this is how i modified my flasher relay to fix the problem.

DISCLAIMER: attempt this at your own risk. i accept no responsibility if you F your truck up trying this. blah blah blah. lets proceed.

first, find your flasher relay. start by grabbing a 10 mm socket and removing your kick panel and bottom of your dash on drivers side underneath steering wheel. now turn on your hazards and listen for the clicking. you should hear it above your parking brake pedal, to the left of the main ecu. if you put your hand on the correct black box you will feel it. heres a few pics:

there is one 10 mm bolt holding the relay bracket on, remove the bolt and pull the relay box out:

now unclip the wiring harness and you have the flasher relay. should look something like this:

now remove the small black cover that surrounds the white plug on the relay box. its held on by two clips. once you do that you can slide the relay board out of the black box, which will leave you with this:

now see those two metal hoops? you need to grab a dremel or something and shave those down. DONT FORGET YOUR SAFETY GLASSES AND DUST MASK! remove material off of both sides and the top until they are probably half the thickness they were when you started. if you pick one to do first you can compare its size to the one you havent touched yet. like this:

then do the second one to the same size as the first one. now take it to your truck and plug it back in. install your led turn signals and try them out one at a time. (NOTE: use 1 turn signal at a time and not your hazards because your hazards will flash at the correct speed even with an un-modified flasher relay so that wont tell you anything.) if they are still hyper-flashing then you probably need to shave off a little more material. the amount i removed worked for rear led turn signals with the stock bulbs in front. if you are doing led's both front and rear you will probably need to remove more material off the metal hoops, and i actually can not confirm this will work with led's on all 4 turn signals, so if thats what you are looking for proceed at your own risk. if youve tested both your turn signals and they both flash at a normal speed then you can put your flasher relay back together and re-install it on your truck and put your truck back together. job well done.

the turn signal bulbs are GP Thunder red 36 led bulbs

·
Cereal Killer
20,307 Posts
Those metal rods must be sense resistors. By trimming them you are raising the resistance, which changes the current threshold at which a fast flash occurs. Much better than adding power resistors near the bulbs. :D

The only thing I would suggest would be to use a low range ohmmeter to actually measure the resistance as material is removed. I would bet this resistance could be taken without removing the bands, since the value is probably quite low. Once a number was known, others could use this as a target to more accurately remove material, as opposed to trial and error with checking the flash rate each time. Also a fixed sense resistor could be swapped in place of the whole band. :D

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
that website says it will work with toyota/lexus cars that have a "standard flasher module" so im not sure it will work on our trucks, but the 81980-xxxxx is the same so i guess we will see. but even if it works its a $50 part and this mod is free.....

Those metal rods must be sense resistors. By trimming them you are raising the resistance, which changes the current threshold at which a fast flash occurs. Much better than adding power resistors near the bulbs. :D

The only thing I would suggest would be to use a low range ohmmeter to actually measure the resistance as material is removed. I would bet this resistance could be taken without removing the bands, since the value is probably quite low. Once a number was known, others could use this as a target to more accurately remove material, as opposed to trial and error with checking the flash rate each time. Also a fixed sense resistor could be swapped in place of the whole band. :D
it wasnt hard to find the right amount to remove, i hit it the first time. i dont think it needs to be exact by any means.

·
Chief of Grammar Police
2,497 Posts
This is exactly the same as the mod that is over on the Tacoma boards. I did it to the flasher on the Tacoma when I put LEDs in the front. The only difference I see so far is the Tundra looks to have two of the resistor hoops or shunts. It can be a little bit of trial and error but if you grind off too much you can solder more material back on and start over. The other thing to do when testing is let the turn signal run for several minutes to make sure you aren't on the threshold of the resistance limit, too close and they will start to hyper flash after being on for an extended time.

I am stoked to know this works, i was going to dig in there over the weekend to check this out since I am going to take the LEDs out of the Tacoma and replace them with Triton V3s. I found out the the ones that are in the Tacoma are actually switchbacks and aren't bright enough for DRLs, they were supposed to be amber turn/amber DRL, but when I plugged them into the Tundra to check them walah white running LED and amber turn signals.

·
Cereal Killer
20,307 Posts
That can be accomplished with light output / intensity. :D

On that note I want those Vled Triton bulbs bad. Sure wish they weren't so expensive. :dunno:

·
Chief of Grammar Police
2,497 Posts
That can be accomplished with light output / intensity. :D

On that note I want those Vled Triton bulbs bad. Sure wish they weren't so expensive. :dunno:
Come on dude, troll for coupon codes! I used a 20 or 25 percent off code when I ordered mine and paid 75 bucks for 2 lights, resistor boxes and adapter plugs. I will wait for another code to order the rears for the Tacoma and front/rear for the Tundra.

And

What Creo said sounds reasonable.

Reactions: Mr. Creosote

·
Registered
625 Posts
I somehow missed this thread earlier.
Put it on the to do list

·
Registered
455 Posts

·
Trans-Immigrant
15,629 Posts
Rb, I spoke with them to confirm that the part would work, as the part #'s did match up.
However, when i received their flasher relay, the wiring harness did not match up. I called and spoke with them, but they could not give me an answer, so i returned it, was out about $20 for shipping both ways...
wish it wouldve worked, i really like the one touch functionality...
And boy was it a royal PIA to get the stock flasher relay module out...

·
Registered
455 Posts
Rb, I spoke with them to confirm that the part would work, as the part #'s did match up.
However, when i received their flasher relay, the wiring harness did not match up. I called and spoke with them, but they could not give me an answer, so i returned it, was out about $20 for shipping both ways...
wish it wouldve worked, i really like the one touch functionality...
And boy was it a royal PIA to get the stock flasher relay module out...
Thanks for the detailed reply.

Really bummed to hear it didn't work out for ya. :(

(It seems there is fairly positive feedback for these on the Prius forums...)

·
Registered
455 Posts

I am in the process of ordering a stock flasher module, and some new resistors.
De-soldering the existing ones and replacing them with lower resistance looks [to me] like a < 10 minute job, based on the pics the OP posted (thanks!). Slightly more elegant than Dremel'ing it, but should accomplish same thing.

Will bump this thread when I get this done. Looking forward to getting rid of hyper-flash!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Guys,

I signed up at this board so I could share my work concerning this thread's topic.

I've been working on LED turn signal relays since last year.

Here's the DIY thread that I wrote over at an alternate Tundra forum that seems to be of complete and utter disinterest to the people over there.:dunno:

LINK

Best of luck on your own mods; if I can help with any questions let me know.

Cheers~

·
Trans-Immigrant
15,629 Posts
Welcome and Nice work! I also have noticed that on TS the members are not very engaging or as friendly...

It seems as if you are electronically inclined, any chance you would have any knowledge on how to make a "one-touch" relay for the flasher? I tried purchasing one that had the same model # as ours but the connectors did not correspond...
had i had any true electrical knowledge maybe i couldve opened it up and made it work....
Any how, just throwing that out there, if you could figure out a way to make our trucks have the one touch flasher, i'm sure you'd be able to sell a lot of them, that is a really nice feature that toyota should have incorporated...

http://www.webelectricproducts.com/
Guys,

I signed up at this board so I could share my work concerning this thread's topic.

I've been working on LED turn signal relays since last year.

Here's the DIY thread that I wrote over at an alternate Tundra forum that seems to be of complete and utter disinterest to the people over there.:dunno:

LINK

Best of luck on your own mods; if I can help with any questions let me know.

Cheers~

·
Registered
64 Posts
It seems as if you are electronically inclined, any chance you would have any knowledge on how to make a "one-touch" relay for the flasher? I tried purchasing one that had the same model # as ours but the connectors did not correspond...
had i had any true electrical knowledge maybe i couldve opened it up and made it work....
Any how, just throwing that out there, if you could figure out a way to make our trucks have the one touch flasher, i'm sure you'd be able to sell a lot of them, that is a really nice feature that toyota should have incorporated...
Hey Dragos,

From a little online reading, it looks like spliced-in module might work in our trucks. I was checking out some info here: One-touch turn signal module - E31Wiki ..although that was written with BMW's in mind, the concept could work in a Tundra possibly.

Making one from scratch without a blueprint is beyond me, though.

Maybe there's a generic one out there that could be spliced into the Tundra's wiring harness. One thing I can note, while the Tundra flasher relay is easy enough to remove, there is not a lot of wire harness length to access for modding.
Unless somebody developed a module that incorporates input/output connectors that would allow it to simply be plugged in between the wire harness and the flasher relay, it could be a real trial.

·
Premium Member
920 Posts
Guys,

Hey if they don't want ya we need ya here and I garuntee more than one person would respond to that write up over here, btw great write up and the pics say it all thanks and welcome from N. Texas!

1 - 20 of 60 Posts