Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning all.
I have recently purchased my first tundra. A 2017 doublecab sr5 TRD.
This is my third Toyota truck that I have owned. The others were a 2001 and 1997 Tacomas.
I have always been a Nissan truck guy and have had around 10 Hardbody Pickups, 3 frontiers (98, 2002, 2006) and of course several titans (2004, 2008.5, 2010, 2012, 2016 and 2017)

I have great loyalty to the first gen titans but after purchasing 2 new body diesel trucks I can't say I'm pressed. Mainly quality control issues at the first Nissan UNION plant (imagine that). So with that said I went and picked up the tundra.

I've owned it for two weeks now and trying to get used to it as it drives nothing like a Titan (all I have to compare it to)
Here are my likes and dislikes in comparison to the Titan (sorry in advance)

Dislikes:
HP is there in paper but can't feel it (got my doors blown off by a 2004 Titan with 240k miles

Sound system / infotainment (I won't go into details as I've seen multiple threads on this)

Useless manual shift mode that always goes to 4th and doesn't hold the gear you want

HUGE plastic shift knob

Huge AC knobs

Road noise

Flat seats / no support (I'm skinny)

No technology from this century

Not even one LED :(

Lack of gauges (trans temp) and gauge cluster info displays

So far I've replaced the shift knob with my old faithful 1967.5 datsun Roadster one. Still need to cut the stalk down and re thread it.

I love and hate the simplicity of the truck but it leaves so much to the imagination.

Sorry if I offended any of you hardcore Toyota fans! I'm keeping the truck for sure.

Also any mods anyone can throw my way to make the truck better, I would be thankful.

I work on cars for a living so I have no problems tearing things apart when time allows. First order is to install Focal speakers, alpine 5 channel amp and LC7 that I have laying around.

Looking forward to learning more about the truck

Ash

· Registered
1,183 Posts
Good morning all. First order is to install Focal speakers, alpine 5 channel amp and LC7 that I have laying around.

Ash
Welcome from Bamaland Ash. In reference to the above there is A BUNCH of great great information/recommendations/advice on here if you want to increase the quality of your stereo (I'm old school) and do it right the first time.

Welcome aboard sailor.

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good morning all. First order is to install Focal speakers, alpine 5 channel amp and LC7 that I have laying around.

Ash
Welcome from Bamaland Ash. In reference to the above there is A BUNCH of great great information/recommendations/advice on here if you want to increase the quality of your stereo (I'm old school) and do it right the first time.

Welcome aboard sailor.
Thank you sir! I will definitely be sniffing around the forum any chance I get!

· Registered
674 Posts
Useless manual shift mode that always goes to 4th and doesn't hold the gear you want
I'm one of the few who read auto manuals. S mode is for picking the highest gear you select. It defaults to the top gear being four, blocking out both overdrive gears. Now the truck won't go any higher than the gear you selected. I imagine this is good for heavy loads, or mountains. I think people think it's a manual transmission mode, but it's not. Hence, it's doesn't do it well.

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm one of the few who read auto manuals. S mode is for picking the highest gear you select. It defaults to the top gear being four, blocking out both overdrive gears. Now the truck won't go any higher than the gear you selected. I imagine this is good for heavy loads, or mountains. I think people think it's a manual transmission mode, but it's not. Hence, it's doesn't do it well.
Your exactly right! I personally find it useless. And the flimsy frame on the truck doesn't seem to be a good match for a heavy load. I'll just leave it in D haha

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.