Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First time I've changed my own oil.

Drained, changed filter. Added just under 8 quarts. Warmed up, drove around the neighborhood, parked on level ground, let sit for ~ 8-10 minutes. And it reads dead nuts halfway between the low and high marker on the dipstick. Is this normal? Should I add .5 quart?

When I have mastertec do my oil change, it is always just below the H marker.

Also, I didn't pre-fill my oil filter housing, I screwed the filter on dry - is that ok? Much appreciated and if this has been discussed I did my best to search first.

·
Registered
4 Posts
You'll be fine w/.5 low but make sure you keep an eye on it. When it gets to almost a full qt. low then add the .5 qt ... Better to run little low than to overfill. I hope this helps.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
No need to fill the filter. You'll be just fine. Just check it after driving first 50 miles or so. Let it set 10 minutes and check again. Keep it between the lines.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have a metal housing for the oil filter, the shop must have replaced. Do u clean this up when changing the oil? I sprayed it with brake cleaner and I'm kind of freaking out that I shouldn't have done this. I did mop it up and I think it dries up pretty quickly. I thought I read somewhere about doing this.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I wouldn't use any cleaners. I figure it's just like spraying that inside your engine. Probably wouldn't hurt it, but my feeling is just to have straight oil in the engine and nothing else.
I do clean out the filter cartridge housing real good each time I change the oil. I use clean rags, take it apart and wipe it down good.
Just my 2 cents...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Page 407 of my 2015 Tundra owners manual shows normal range anywhere in between the 2 markers. I just throw in 8 quarts and call it good. Mine always measures pretty much dead center.

I do not clean the filler housing personally but doing so is not a problem but I wouldn’t recommend using any type of chemical cleaners.

·
Registered
151 Posts
The best time to check your oil is in the morning before you start the engine. Park on level ground the night before, and check it before you leave in the morning. All the oil will have drained back to the pan and you will get a perfect reading on the dip stick. It is OK for the oil to be between the top and bottom mark. The two marks represent 1 quart of oil, so if it is below the top mark, add oil accordingly to get to the top mark and you are good to go.

Also, check your oil level every 1000 miles or so to make sure it stays full. When you get to oil change time, you will know if your engine is using any oil or not by the level at that time. This will tell you how often you actually need to check your oil. I run Mobil 1 0W-20 advance fuel economy and can run 10,000 miles on a oil change and only be down about a half quart. As such, I usually only check my oil level at about 5000 miles and again as I get closer to 10,000 miles. Note, you do have a low oil level light that will come on if you oil level gets too low as a backup in case you develop a leak of some kind that is not detected.

I don't bother to clean the oil filter housing, but it certainly does not hurt anything to do that. Even cleaning it with a solvent is OK, as long as you dry it out before re-installing it.

One more thing. I hate taking the skid plate on and off to change the oil. Especially because my truck has NEVER left the paved road in its life. So, I pulled it off, sold it for $100 on ebay, and now the oil changes are super easy. Oh, and that little locking tab for the housing is nice, but not needed. By accident, my tab did not survive the first oil change, but I have learned it was not really needed by not having one for the last 240,000 miles. It is hard to get that housing off as is, and it has never come loose, and it sure makes the oil changes easier not having to deal with that little thing.

·
Registered
823 Posts
I modded my 2018 skid plate with a nice round 7" hole right under the oil filter , 2 coats of rubberised undercoating on the whole skid plate and Heavily greased all the mounting bolts since they will not be used for quite some time. Been that way for two years , no issues and easy oil changes .

1 - 10 of 10 Posts