Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

Finally said good-bye to the Tacoma!

886 views 14 replies 12 participants last post by  gangis 
#1 ·
Hi everybody! Picked up my new Magnetic Gray 5.7 TRD Double Cab (4X4)yesterday after 13 years in a 2000 Tacoma and 211,000 reliable miles. I have wanted a Tundra for a long, long time. I'm hoping to add a bed cover soon, but will leave the thing pretty much stock other than that. I have one question rigt now; What kind of trip range (interstate highway) are some of you guys getting out of your 5.7s?

Thanks!

Heavy-D

#3 ·
Welcome aboard from the four corners.

I can get about 350 miles on a tank if I keep my foot out of it. I went from farmington, NM to Fountain Hills, Az (just outside Phoenix) last June (385miles) on a tank before my low fuel light came on.

Reactions: dikkie
#6 ·
Thanks very much, that kind of what I had figured. I'm planning to drive it to Fla. later this spring and wondered how far it might go on a full tank. Of course, I've got to let it break in a little and I'm varying my highway speeds top polish those rings in real nice!!:D

#8 ·
whats the secret??

Hey Troy, am wondering about your truck configuration (5.7vs4.7; CM/DC/RC, etc)., that seems like GREAT MPG under those conditions, also what mods have you done to enhance the mileage? Stock tires?

Howzit Heavy D!!! I am a new guy too, been lurking for a few weeks though, :cool::cool:

Great site with lotsa info and feedback, thanks and Aloha to all!!!

#9 · (Edited)
This past summer I went down to Maryland to visit my sister. This was the trip meter reading when I arrived in Maryland.

The second picture was the trip meter reading when I got back home.

The trip was mostly highway (no cruise control) with some DC suburb traffic. Terrain was mountainous (Colorado members might call it hilly). As you could see, I could've easily gone close to 400.

My suspension is stock and I have TRD exhaust and intake. I suspect the same trip with the winter blend will net a smaller range.

Attachments

#11 ·
What did you do with the 2000 Taco? Been looking for a 200-2004 Taco as a project truck. Welcome to the family. I owned a 2005 Tacoma then went to a Frontier and drifted slowly to the Tundra. Enjoy it! It deff has its perks but then its pain in the butts, like the gas pump prices

#12 ·
I ended up trading it in and they gave me 4K. KBB and NADA were saying it was worth more but I thought 4 grand for a 13 year old truck with 211,000 on the clock was pretty damn good, so I took it. I had taken meticulous care of the Tacoma. Had 2 timing belts changed, always ran dinosaur oil (4K between changes) and just took very good care of it. It was a 3.4L V-6 and ran like a raped ape. Still burned rubber when I punched it. I bet if you did a leak down test on it, it hadn't lost a bit of compression. Took it to Houston and back a couple years ago and averaged 21.7 MPG. Sorry to see the old girl go, but it was time for a change.

#13 ·
welcome aboard from the netherlands..!!

and congrats on the new truck..!! :yesnod:

WHAT SILTUNDRA SAID SOUNDS REASONABLE..!!

:D dikkie :D

#15 ·
I also traded my tacoma for a tundra. I drove the tacoma from Idaho to seattle, in the winter over passes, and did it with a quarter tank left over. I have driven the tundra with the same results, quarter tank left over. I found the range to be the same, you just have to put 3 or 4 more gallons in the tank compared to the tacoma. I believe the tacoma has a 20 gal tank while the tundra has a 25 or 26. I'll be happy to spend an extra $12.00 to $15.00 a tank for the security and comfort I get out of my tundra.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.