Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just pulled the trigger on a mcgaughys 4/6 lowering kit with rear shocks. After a lot of research and debate between the DJM 3/5 or mcgaughys 4/6, I finally decided on the mcgaughys since I have used their kits on other trucks with no issues before. How is the quality of the spindles and the ride quality once installed with the drop kit and rear shocks? Rear shocks are temporary as I will eventually install the mcgaughys or trd racing rear airbag kit. Just trying to buy once, cry once. thanks to everyone who replied to my previous posts, and thanks in advance to those who will give input and reply to this post.

thanks,
roger

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
I haven't installed the 4/6 kit but i have done both the basic 2/4 and the deluxe 2/4. both ride well, the 4/6 should as well since it is both of those together.

Do you plan on different shocks when you add the air kit?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@ nastyn8. I didn't know I needed shocks with the helper bags. I thought the bags were going to replace the shocks. Still need to do more research since I have always been a GM guy with lowered fullsize Chevys. If anyone has info. on the helper bag setup that I want to do, please enlighten me about if I need shocks as well as the bags?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
@ Bobby B. First off, I like your truck... Bad Ass!!!
I wanted 24's so bad but there is really no wheels with the correct offset that will not rub the fenders or the fender wells on a truck with this lowering kit, so I have my eyes on a set of the 22" TRD forged wheels. But they are hard to find.

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
@ nastyn8. I didn't know I needed shocks with the helper bags. I thought the bags were going to replace the shocks. Still need to do more research since I have always been a GM guy with lowered fullsize Chevys. If anyone has info. on the helper bag setup that I want to do, please enlighten me about if I need shocks as well as the bags?
You typically keep the same shocks whether you run the bags or not, i beleive the tundra racing is the only one for trucks with flip kits

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So, are you saying I didn't need the mcgaughys shocks that were recommended for lowered vehicles by Godfather Customs rep?

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
You will need those, you won't need to change those when you add the bags. The factory shocks are too long for the lowered axle

Reactions: rvillan78

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Gotcha!

Do you know about the quality of the mcgaughys shocks? When I had them for my lowered '08 Silverado, they rode like crap, and I replaced them with something else. The rep told me they were better quality and that he remembered the old ones being trash, and assured me these were better.

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
They are pro comp shocks, just a basic shock. Not a performance application. The Tundra Racing kits use a performance based shock designed for the gen 1 tundra at stock hieght, but i am not sure if they are short enough for a 6" drop

Reactions: rvillan78

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
@ Bobby B. First off, I like your truck... Bad Ass!!!
I wanted 24's so bad but there is really no wheels with the correct offset that will not rub the fenders or the fender wells on a truck with this lowering kit, so I have my eyes on a set of the 22" TRD forged wheels. But they are hard to find.
Thanks!
When I bought my CM I was going going to that same drop kit, and I know for sure the MHT wheels on the Mcgaughys sema truck fit MHT 20X9.5 and the Boss 330's fit as well. If your into that look, I personally think 24's are sic! and a little trimming and cutting is not a big deal. the TRD 22's are nice too.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yea, I saw all those wheels, but Boss is a cheap quality wheel(chrome peels fast, don't balance right, etc.) and the MHT wheels are a little too busy for me. I am more of a basic 5 spoke billet forged wheel type of guy(Billet Specialties, Intro, Budnik, etc). But I can't see myself dropping $6000 on wheels & tires anymore. Especially now that I have a family, mortgage, bills, etc. you know... life.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Yea, I saw all those wheels, but Boss is a cheap quality wheel(chrome peels fast, don't balance right, etc.) and the MHT wheels are a little too busy for me. I am more of a basic 5 spoke billet forged wheel type of guy(Billet Specialties, Intro, Budnik, etc). But I can't see myself dropping $6000 on wheels & tires anymore. Especially now that I have a family, mortgage, bills, etc. you know... life.
I here you bro either way I can't wait to see the end result

·
Registered
315 Posts
Did you do a mini C-notch with this drop?

·
Registered
413 Posts
Shouldnt have to notch with a 4/6.... I've never done a fullsize on 6 inch drop in the rear that needed a notch...

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Rvillan I've got a hook up at a local dealer. He was able to find the 22s you mentioned pm me if you want the guys number. He might be able to work some thing out for you.

·
Registered
315 Posts
1 - 20 of 31 Posts