Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just became the proud owner of a Gold 2007 double cab 4WD Limited 5.7L. It has 96,000 miles. The previous owner central California really took good care of it. I found it on Craigslist. They guy retired, sold his boat, and his Sequoia is all he and his wife need now. He hated to sell it, and I loved to buy it.

I bought the Tundra to replace the '97 Chevy Suburban 5.7L 4WD I use to pull my 27', 7,500 lb. travel trailer. The Burb has 235,000 miles, but a new motor and tranny and rebuilt front ends steering/suspension/brakes at 215,000. It is generally just tired, and after owning her for 12 years, decided to replace it.

I wanted a truck, but had bad luck with 2002 Chevy crew cab, long bed, 4X4 Duramax/Allison diesel/tranny. The motor went through three sets of fuel injectors. I sold it a year ago. I looked at Ford F2/350 Powerstrokes and Dodge Cummins, but from internet and personal friends accounts, learned that the early 2000 something Powerstrokes and 2003-2006 Dodges were the most trouble free. But Toyotas? I had a Previa Mini Van I bought from a dealer with 104,000 miles on it and drove it for 10 years and sold it with 325,000 miles on it. It never had a hic-up. Not one. That thing was bullet proof and amazing.

Anyway, in my research I discovered that the 5.7L makes 135 more horses than the Suburban, and 85 more than my Duramax! Way more torque than a Suburban 5.7L, and comparable to the Duramax there too.

So I decided on one and am so glad I did. Today we pulled the trailer around the foothills of the Sierra Nevada Mountains outside of Sonora California and I was truly amazed at how it did. When I lowered the trailer onto the ball (after successfully backing up to it perfectly myself with the tailgate hitch camera it came stock with), the Tundra didn't even lower an inch! I had air shocks on the Suburban and it still settles down a couple of inches. And the Tundra hauls ass with that trailer!

Anyway, I'm excited about being a Tundra owner and belonging to such a great family of owners.

Later,
Sixweeds:)

· Premium Member
1,730 Posts
Welcome to the best Tundra forum on the internet.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Thanks.

What color, the Desert Sand (Gold Metal flake) on mine? I was under the impression that was pretty common, as the guy across the street has a dbl cab (pretty basic trim) 2WD 4.7(8)L in his driveway.

But now that you mention it, that's the only other gold besides mine I've seen.

Hey, has anybody put in the $69 chip advertised on this site? If so, what do you think.

Also, with the tow package, is there a hot wire from the battery to the wiring harness 7 pin plug factory installed to charge the batteries on my camper, or will I have to run one?

Thanks again!

· Registered
8,147 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Congrats. That color is very rare. I don't think I've seen single on in that color where I live.

· Premium Member
1,379 Posts
Shoutin' atcha from the east coast! Welcome to the best Tundra forum on the inter web.
Rob

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.