Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

Few Noob First Gen Questions

4K views 28 replies 7 participants last post by  Worstenemy453 
#1 ·
2005 Spectra ( i think ) blue DC 4x4.

First - Im thinking of doing satoshi or buying the paramount satoshi. What can i do about the chrome piece on the bumper that is supposed to match the grill, i hate that thing lol.

Second - Truck will be getting a respray soon, what is under the door mouldings ? Please tell me they are just taped on and not clipped, i would love to delete those when i debadge.

Third - Thinking about doing the bilstein 5100's and 33"s. It seems that all you do is buy them and stick them in and insta lift, just double checking to make sure im not missing anything.

Im going to use this thread for any questions so i dont noob up the forums with threads. Im a long time forum go-er in several catagories but this is my first toyota forum. This is my first Yota other than my 01 4runner limited i had for a few weeks.

Reactions: Drunk
#2 ·
First- Paint it!. It is on by soldered clips and by double sided tape. I used plasti-dip to black it out, looks a little better.

Second-The door molding are held on my clips also so body work would be required for the wholes.

Third- 5100's are that easy for the most part. If you have a 4x4 you might want to think about a differentall drop. It is not manditory but is recommended. Also keep an eye on the cv joints because the clips are weak and throw out the grease once lifted.

#3 ·
Ill just paint match it when I do my grill so it's not noticeable.

Is there anything else to do wit them ? I hate those things. Has anyone taken them off and jus welded the holes and re painted.

I was planning on doing the worm drives on them like I've read on here so they are clamped and just clipped. I want to do 5100s with add a leafs in the back. My stock sprigs just go on the front correct. I want to do 18x10 moto metal 962s in black with like 33s. I might need spacers. I'm excited though. I'm a long time ford drive and yota lover. I still love my fords.

I'm torn on exhaust between dynomax race bullet, aero turbine or may afpoe. Ill most likely do a single 3" dumped before the rear tire on the passenger side.

#4 ·
Welcome to the forum! Good to have a new first gen guy here who wants to modify.
The door moldings can be removed if you are willing to do body work to fill the holes. It has been done and looks great when done correctly. You could go the alternative route and paint them with bed liner like I did, it made a world of difference for me.

You might have a hard time getting that bumper strip painted, I've heard from numerous Tundra owners that paint shops refused to spray them because it's a funky material and paint doesn't stick to it well no matter how you prep it. You might look into finding a bumper cover from a limited since those are color matched, hard to find in your color.

Add a leaf works well on the back, 5100s with stock springs is proved to work well.

CAREFUL with the exhaust, these trucks develop a nasty drone if you shorten the tail pipe too much. I ran a 3" blowmaster dumped where the cab meets the bed, it sounded cool for a run to the liquor store, but any freeway time caused me to drive with my head out the window. The aero turbine is a cool muffler but you'll be better off sticking to 2.5" and keeping as much pipe as possible. Stock piping is a weird size, more like 2 and 3/8ths.

#5 ·
I will definitely check on the exhaust, i will be refabbing everything from manifolds back. I will most likely run 2.5" off each side and then bring them together into a single 3" pipe. I could dump behind the axle or something, not a big deal. I will be deleting any cats that i can, so i dont know if i need simulators or anything, but i think i want to run a magnaflow, i cant find any dynomax race bullet videos on youtube so i guess those arent put on these often. If anything i might do a resonator also.

I believe im also going to go ahead and fab up a CAI that will drop a filter down somewhere around the bumper, i need to get under my hood and see my options. Also going to do HID's, a sound system, the wheels/tires, tint and then maybe some custom bumpers.

I will be repainting the whole truck soon anyway so i can just grab a limited bumper at that time, i think i might need a bumper anyway, this truck has a lot of scrapes and bruises and my brother is a painter. I think i want to go ahead and get rid of the door mouldings, is it completely flat underneath them ?

I own my own business selling performance and upgrade parts for pretty much anything so my truck will be advertising.

#6 ·
It's flat, here's a good thread from the "other" forum, Erki's Tundra has always been one of my favorites.
My new truck.

You might lose power increasing the diameter of your piping that much. These trucks don't respond well to large diameter pipes.

#12 ·
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :banghead:

I'm going to weld the holes most likely and then use body filler as a skim coat to smooth it all out. I'm not going to fill holes with body filler

How would 2.25 off each manifold to a single 2.5" pipe do ?
This should work out fine. I run JBA headers, they have a 2.5" collector which is odd because right where the cat ends the piping is more like 2.25" :rolleyes:
Then my Y pipe goes to 2.5" to the muffler, after the muffler is a short run of 2.5" followed by the stock pipe over the axle and out the side.

Magnaflows get mixed reviews on these trucks, some drone and some don't. The aeroturbine might be cool, if you can find HighwayLizard (LizardKing) he might be able to chime in. I know he runs one but he added a resonator to control the sound.

#9 ·
I'm going to weld the holes most likely and then use body filler as a skim coat to smooth it all out. I'm not going to fill holes with body filler

How would 2.25 off each manifold to a single 2.5" pipe do ?

#11 ·
What about aero turbine 2525XL or a dynomax race bullet with an added resonator.

Also I have access to a 2008 Ford edge double din nav system and every component of that system from the edge for free. Is there any way to get the nav to work and steerin wheel controls. It would be awesome to do a free double din nav upgrade.

#14 ·
The mangaflow issue isn't a brand problem, it's a model problem. Chambered mufflers tend to get nasty drone with these trucks, however the magnapak has been used with great results. The straight through glasspack design works on these trucks for that mean growl without the drone.

MBRP might work well if it is the straight through design. Here's a helpful thread from another forum, the author has been hand making and selling his muffler with tremendous success for a few years and I have yet to hear of one complaint. I got to see one personally and it was much heavier than I expected it to be. There are other mufflers with designs similar enough, like the magnapak.

How a properly built exhaust system works

#15 ·
I just found 2 of my old Dynomax 2.25 Race Bullet straight throughs from my old F350, i think im going to run a dual with those and a good ole X pipe and see what happens. Might add some resonators later, lets see how loud this poor tundra gets.

Also i am planning to put an 8" sub in each rear door since there is no box room, i will be building ported boxes that hopefully fit inside the door and the port will be coming back through the door panel. Im still in planning phases as i need to get a door panel off and see whats up with the windows and all. If i cant do an 8" then i will be doing 2 6.5" subwoofers from Digital designs in there instead. I need my good booms.

#17 ·
What happened to the storage department under the seat ? Did you just fill it ? Im most likely deleting the jack and all that because ill be doing the bed floor drawer box things and ill stick a high lift in there.

#18 · (Edited)
#21 ·
Is there any difference between the 4.7 and 4.7 VVTI, my truck is an early 05 and i dont believe any of the engine covers mention VVTI and i know toyota likes to plaster that on the top. Could an early 05 have a non vvti engine ?

#25 ·
After having 2 8's in a stealth box under the seat of my AC, now in my DC, it's just not enough. And to have good rich bass the box rigidity it paramount. I plan on cutting the floor board out under the rear passenger feet, welding a drop down box on each side, doing angle iron supports, lining the boxes with MDF, sealed with fiberglass, topped with heavy metal grate, and putting the carpet back on. Should be an interesting build. Either doing two 10's or 12's have not decided yet. Then I'll put the focal's from my 03 in the doors.

Keep the CG lower as well. I'm going steel plate on the entire underside after that... it's gonna be a long project :) I think 8's in the doors might be a little rattle happy

#26 ·
I would completely deaden the doors and fasten down the panels more. I used to do competition audio so im used to doing trick installs lol. I need to figure something out. I have some awesome batteries for it haha.

#29 ·
Very nice.

Has anyone built their own O2 simulators for the rears. Im about to do fake cats when i do my exhaust system and need to get that handled. If anyone has the schematic/parts light to build one i can definitely get one built.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.