Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I was to careful to take lots of pictures of my serpentine belt making sure I put it back on correctly. But, Now I can't figure out how my skid plate goes on. I know the hooks on the skid plate hook up front but it doesn't fit.. I can't figure it out for the life of me.. And nope not drunk.. Actually been puzzled for a few weeks now. I gave up and am asking for help. .. anyone???

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
check out the DIY section for changing your own oil. It explains how the plate comes off/goes on....might help
yeah, I looked in to that already.. Only found one 5.7 oil change that didn't give enough detail. but, thanks anyway

Anybody else???

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Post pics of what part of the skid plate doesn't fit to give us a better idea.

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
:rotf: im loving the turpentine belt!

its really a serpentine belt

Reactions: Pranqster

·
"Resident Liberal"
12,237 Posts
Getting the skidplate off took me more time than anything when I did my struts and diff drop.

Reactions: SP

·
Premium Member
6,874 Posts
I just did my own oil change. I think you line up the hooks with the holes and slide to the drivers side just a 1/4" or so. Then it locks on in the front. Very annoying and stupid. Its a nice idea but the execution sucks. It sounded like I was raping a donkey while trying to put the rusty thing on.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Reactions: Powertechn2

·
Registered
13,893 Posts
thanks tundrak.. but, my skid plate looks different.

I'll try and get some pics up soon
That is the add on skid there...

You are talking the original engine skid plate/guard.

If I remember correctly, you have to put the hooks up in there and then slide it over. I was getting ready to cut the bastid off when I did my oil change then eventually got my head up in there enough to see wtf I was doing wrong.
Then it went back on easily.

Hook, then slide, then rotate up.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

OK, so, the two blue circles are where you hook up into the truck. I get that.. But the area in the red is what is in the way.. I don't get how it went in.. Maybe I'll just wait till I get an oil change and have toyota reinstall it.. Or maybe I can find another one locally to compare.

·
Registered
143 Posts

OK, so, the two blue circles are where you hook up into the truck. I get that.. But the area in the red is what is in the way.. I don't get how it went in.. Maybe I'll just wait till I get an oil change and have toyota reinstall it.. Or maybe I can find another one locally to compare.
Mine looks just like this. The hole where that red circle is is one of the bolt holes. Your bolts should go through that hole an screw into the frame of the truck when you line it up correctly. I also have bolts for mine that go in the holes just to the right of each blue circle in your picture.

I too bent those hooks down and didn't use them when I reattached mine. I got longer bolts to use after the diff drop and I could not get the hooks into their holes when using the longer bolts, so I just bent them down and now everything works well.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Just an update, Today I finally figured out how to mount it. Turns out There was only one bolt in the back while two bolts go in the front along with the three screw. go figure. that only took what, 5 months. The problem was I thought the section in the red circle was suppose to connect to the frame and screw in. After all there was a spot where a bolt screws in.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Does it make it harder to remove the skid plate if you have a bullbar install? From reading TRD sparks removal procedure it look like a pain in the azz.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Does it make it harder to remove the skid plate if you have a bullbar install? From reading TRD sparks removal procedure it look like a pain in the azz.
push bar you mean. :) The mounts for the push bar aren't anywhere near the skid plate. Yes, I wouldn't be doing in all the time.. Let's just say if I would doing my own a oil changes, I would never put it back on.. seeing how I never go off road anyway.

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
That is odd for sure. It is a pain to try to hook those 2 clips in upfront I go up, then slid to the passenger side and they fit in the slots, is a pain to do though and sometimes I get lucky and the hooks slide right in other times takes me 1-2 minutes. Once hooked in upfront, I push the back of plate upwards and bolt holes line right up.

You have to angle the back down a tad to get the hooks to go up and then slide over to the right (passenger side) to get them to hook. Maybe you have the skid plate level and is an issue with that back red marking on your plate? I find it easier to put the back of the skid plate downwards an inch or so to get the front hooks in their slots first.

Yes, poor design and a pain in the butt to do. I even first time had to call the dealer and ask them in 2007 where the heck is the oil filter. They said have to remove skid plate and I was like what the F! Removing all 8 bolts/screws is a pain in the butt and to top it off, my oil filter wrench kept slipping on the oil filter and still does what a pain in the butt that was 10x worse getting off, darn oil filter canister P.O.S.

·
Banned
513 Posts
There is nothing simple about the 5.7l oil change including the skid plates. It's messy with the cartridge design.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts