Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are considering offering customers an option to have our 07+ Tundra 2wd lift spindles powdercoated for an additional $50 charge. Currently, they come with what we call an "E-coating" which is just a basic flat black textured almost "raw" finish. The powdercoat option will give people the opportunity to have a smoother and glossier less textured finish to the spindles. We are looking to get opinions from people as to what they like or if anyone even cares about what finish is on the spindles at all. Again, it would just be an option. It would take about an extra week before they ship if you opted for the powdercoat and it would be an additional $50 to the price. Any feedback would be great! Thanks guys!

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is the "E-coating" going to allow them to rust quickly?
No it does not its just a textured non glossy coating. Just a basic coating that is very strong and durable designed to prevent rust actually. We would be shooting the powdercoat over the E-Coating which will just smooth it out a bit and make it glossier and just have a more appealing look. We are more so wondering if people actually care if the spindles are aesthetically pleasing to the eye and if they think the $50 and 1 week wait for the powdercoat will be worth it. Thank you for asking I should have mentioned that in my original post! Let me know what you think! Thank you!

·
Registered
179 Posts
Thanks. Personally, I don't think I care. Its going to just get dirty anyway and blend in with the background.
I agree.

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
No it does not its just a textured non glossy coating. Just a basic coating that is very strong and durable designed to prevent rust actually. We would be shooting the powdercoat over the E-Coating which will just smooth it out a bit and make it glossier and just have a more appealing look. We are more so wondering if people actually care if the spindles are aesthetically pleasing to the eye and if they think the $50 and 1 week wait for the powdercoat will be worth it. Thank you for asking I should have mentioned that in my original post! Let me know what you think! Thank you!
Sean,

PM sent regarding this.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Just installed my 6" MT. I noticed the top of the spindles and a few other spots do not have any coating. Im sure this is due to seating of the balljoints etc. I do have surface rusting after the first rain, so I'll be spraying those areas as you can see those while looking into the wells.

On the coating option I like the hammer like finish that came with them. However while changing the brakelines, one slipped from my hands and fluid poured onto the spindle. The fluid melted the coating and now has streaks of bare metal showing. I resprayed the spindles to protect them.

I would of gladly paid to have coated parts. After seeing the rear blocks, I asked this question during the install. BTW those coated blocks are NICE!

And off topic, but I wanted to give you a Big Thank You to MaxTrac. While installing this kit, any bolts with the exception of a few, that replaced a factory bolt are the same size socket. You can not believe how welcomed this was. Most other kits you need a metric to remove the factory bolt and then a standard socket to replace the supplied bolt. Double trips to the toolbox. Its an ongoing joke at our shop that if we ever make an accessory that we would supply the same size bolts. Awesome detail!

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just installed my 6" MT. I noticed the top of the spindles and a few other spots do not have any coating. Im sure this is due to seating of the balljoints etc. I do have surface rusting after the first rain, so I'll be spraying those areas as you can see those while looking into the wells.

On the coating option I like the hammer like finish that came with them. However will changing the brakelines, one slipped from my hands and fluid poured onto the spindle. The fluid melted the coating and now has streaks of bare metal showing. I resprayed the spindles to protect them.

I would of gladly paid to have coated parts. After seeing the rear blocks, I asked this question during the install. BTW those coated blocks are NICE!

And off topic, but I wanted to give you a Big Thank You to MaxTrac. While installing this kit, any bolts with the exception of a few, that replaced a factory bolt are the same size socket. You can not believe how welcomed this was. Most other kits you need a metric to remove the factory bolt and then a standard socket to replace the supplied bolt. Double trips to the toolbox. Its an ongoing joke at our shop that if we ever make an accessory that we would supply the same size bolts. Awesome detail!
Thank you very much we appreciate the feedback and the support. Glad to hear you liked the product. This thread is quite old now and general consensus seemed to think the flat black e-coating is just fine. The parts we leave bare are just a few surface parts where tie rods, ball joints and hubs will go. We tell everyone that they are welcome to paint the top of the spindle if they would like but to please be extremely careful to not get it inside the threads or cause too much paint build up to where the ball joints will not seat properly. Most people will just leave it while others will hit just the top portion with a quick touch of rattlecan black. completely just personal preference. As far as brake fluid on the spindle coating that is definitely a first time hearing that from anyone. I can see how it could eat right through that coating though. All in all We are finding that people are happy with our product, happy with the ease of installation, the finish/coating and the price. Thanks again for the feedback we are glad to know you like the product and are happy with how your truck turned out. Maybe we will get to see some pictures of it posted up soon? That would be awesome. Take care! -- Sean

1 - 8 of 8 Posts