Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just thought i'd throw it out there for anyone considering the Falken Wildpeak AT3W tires. I have a set of 275/60R20 on stock limited wheels and have put close to 55,000 miles on my current set in the past 16 months. I like them well enough that i just ordered another set of them today. I do mostly highway driving but some off road driving when i'm on the job site at our coal mines. I've owned a lot of other all terrain tires in the past and i have to say that these hold their own compared to the set of BFG KO2's that i had on a previous truck and for $300-$400 less per set they are well worth it. At this point i still have around 6/32" of tread depth left and i think i could probably get another 10,000 miles out of this set but i'm not one to try and stretch a set of tires to the ragged edge especially since i drive a lot for work and we use my truck as a family ride. They have stayed balanced well, they've been quiet, and wore very evenly. I was pretty religious about rotating them every 6,000-7,000 miles which i'm sure helped to extend the life of the tire. Any way just wanted to give my opinion and hopefully it will help someone else if they are looking for a great all terrain tire at an extremely good value compared to the competition. I should have a brand new set of them on my truck tomorrow afternoon!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have been looking at these as I have bfg ko2. But these are very tempting for next tire.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
I considered getting another set of KO2's because they are a dang good looking tire but when i priced them compared to what i could get the Falken's for it was a no brainer. I was able to get a set of the Falkens from a local tire shop for $795 out the door including taxes where the KO2's would have cost me around $1200 out the door including taxes. I also looked at the Mastercraft Courser AXT's which were the same price as the Falkens, Toyo Open Country ATII in a 285/55R20 they were almost $1400 for the set, and some of the Nitto options but everything was $200+ more for the set compared to the Falkens. All i need is a good tire that will get me through another year and it will be time to trade trucks so i just stuck with what i knew would hold up well and didn't break the bank to much.

·
Registered
289 Posts
jp1170, what tire psi are you putting for the front/rears? i just ordered a set LT 285/55/20 and figuring out whats the best psi for even wear.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
jp1170, what tire psi are you putting for the front/rears? i just ordered a set LT 285/55/20 and figuring out whats the best psi for even wear.
I usually ran around 35 psi front and rear...that was a little too much for the rear but for the front if i ran them any lower it would really wear on the shoulder of the tire. I would assume you will probably need to run 40+ in the tires you are getting since they are an E rated LT tire. The 275/60R20 that i had were a C rated tire so they didn't require as many psi as an LT tire would. Best of luck with them...i'm on my second set and still don't have any negative reviews. One thing to point out to your installer is to make sure they align your valve stems with the yellow dot on the side wall. The set that i'm currently running i had to take back to the installer after talking to Falken directly and have them adjust the tire on the rim. They were vibrating pretty bad on the interstate until they aligned the valve stem with the yellow dot as directed by Falken and then everything smoothed out.

·
Registered
289 Posts
thanks for the tip on the valve stems.. Will let the installer know this. .I'm gonna probably ask them to put 45/48 psi and see how they are and go from there

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just thought i'd throw it out there for anyone considering the Falken Wildpeak AT3W tires. I have a set of 275/60R20 on stock limited wheels and have put close to 55,000 miles on my current set in the past 16 months. I like them well enough that i just ordered another set of them today. I do mostly highway driving but some off road driving when i'm on the job site at our coal mines. I've owned a lot of other all terrain tires in the past and i have to say that these hold their own compared to the set of BFG KO2's that i had on a previous truck and for $300-$400 less per set they are well worth it. At this point i still have around 6/32" of tread depth left and i think i could probably get another 10,000 miles out of this set but i'm not one to try and stretch a set of tires to the ragged edge especially since i drive a lot for work and we use my truck as a family ride. They have stayed balanced well, they've been quiet, and wore very evenly. I was pretty religious about rotating them every 6,000-7,000 miles which i'm sure helped to extend the life of the tire. Any way just wanted to give my opinion and hopefully it will help someone else if they are looking for a great all terrain tire at an extremely good value compared to the competition. I should have a brand new set of them on my truck tomorrow afternoon!
Hello ,
I have the same exact set up. What psi are you running ?

Thanks,

·
Registered
237 Posts
Thanx for sharing this. It is always good to get an objective tire review from someone who put many miles on them. Wow, you do some serious miles buddy!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hello ,
I have the same exact set up. What psi are you running ?

Thanks,
I don't have the Tundra anymore but i'm pretty sure i ran around 38 psi in the front and 33 in the rear. I noticed that the shoulder of the tire would wear pretty quick on the front if i ran anything less than that. I bought a new set and put on my Tundra and then about 7,000 miles later i traded it for an F-150 and moved the tires over to the F-150. I've since put 44,000 miles on the F-150 and will probably be able to get another 10,000-15,000 miles before they will need to be changed. I've been running both front and back around 33 on the F-150 but it's a little lighter truck than the tundra. I loved my tundra but had to get something that go a little better fuel economy with the amount of miles that i drive. I've had quite a few issues with the F-150 that makes we want to go back to a Tundra and just put up with the poor fuel economy.

Thanx for sharing this. It is always good to get an objective tire review from someone who put many miles on them. Wow, you do some serious miles buddy!
Yeah i used to drive 40-50K a year mostly for work but now i've moved a little closer to my home office so i knocked off about 15K a year.

How about dry road handling, and wet/hydroplaning conditions?? Thoughts??

Thanks
Dry and wet handling have been great in my opinion. I've not had any issues with hydroplaning...i can really only recall maybe once or twice that my truck tried to hydroplane and it was a flat out coming down and that set of tires was nearing their end of life.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts