Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
VA lift law "prohibits the use of front lift blocks"....

Today I went in for a state inspection (NO.VIRGINIA). The inspector (young buck) looked at my lift and said that he cannot pass it due to the "blocks installed in the front. I said "what blocks" and replied "Its a strut spacer". So we got into a disagreement and it went no where fast. I didn't think the spacers to be considered as blocks. So I asked the the inspector another question about the level kits and said "those are okay"....I replied, "its a similar setup just higher". What a douche bag young buck...so I left and went to another inspection station and they passed my truck....

·
Premium Member
5,489 Posts
What's a state inspection?

No really, if I go buy a brand new vehicle, I can remove the emissions systems and drive it all day long with no issue. But if I go south to Santa Feel or ABQ I have to pass an emissions test.

My bronco is so screwed if I ever move.

·
Registered
5 Posts
What's a state inspection?

No really, if I go buy a brand new vehicle, I can remove the emissions systems and drive it all day long with no issue. But if I go south to Santa Feel or ABQ I have to pass an emissions test.

My bronco is so screwed if I ever move.
Ya, I have an el camino that's thanks to some "help" from my mechanic friends, will pass smog. But without any help, I would have to junk the polluter.

slo car detailing
san luis obispo auto detail

car detailing in san luis obispo
car detail slo
93401 auto detailing

·
Registered
6,445 Posts
Those who revel in no inspections and nice vehicles should be upset. That means others don't have to fix their unsafe vehicles. Next time your freshly waxed vehicle gets sprayed with spew form that old clunker or rear ended because they didn't replace their brake pads replaced.

In NY, inspections get entered into a state computer so you cannot go to another station for a second opinion.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I wish they would bring back inspections here. I don't have enough time in the day to write up all the pieces of junk some people try to pass as transportation.

Reactions: Wacked

·
"The Midnight Modder"
11,213 Posts
VA lift law "prohibits the use of front lift blocks"....

Today I went in for a state inspection (NO.VIRGINIA). The inspector (young buck) looked at my lift and said that he cannot pass it due to the "blocks installed in the front. I said "what blocks" and replied "Its a strut spacer". So we got into a disagreement and it went no where fast. I didn't think the spacers to be considered as blocks. So I asked the the inspector another question about the level kits and said "those are okay"....I replied, "its a similar setup just higher". What a douche bag young buck...so I left and went to another inspection station and they passed my truck....
Young Buck isn't the description I was thinking but it does rhyme. It's the same everywhere. When I got here, first shop failed me on tint and second failed me on having one inch block in back. Then went on to say my halo's and drl leds would not pass. Halos I could understand because that was aftermarket mod to headlights, but the drl leds are oem factory panels. He said, "Well I nevah seen stock panels like that". Like if he never saw it before then it couldn't be stock. Third shop coached me to say right thing. He said "So all you did was put bigger rings and tires, right?" He was even nice enough to tell me my tires weee getting bald and may not pass next time. Cool dude.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Spooge Guzzler
6,318 Posts
Dude its just big brothers way of digging in your pockets. If a car is that bad the cops should take care of it.

No, it's only $21 a year for an inspection. It's one of the few things in NY that make sense and isn't a money grab.
It keeps pieces of shit off the road. More states would do well to have an annual safety inspection. If you have a busted windshield or no brakes or bald tires or no working turn signals, etc, you have to have it fixed before you can pass. And if you get caught without an inspection sticker or with an expired one, its only a ticket and small fine and if you get the vehicle inspected before the court date, they will likely dismiss it. People shouldn't be allowed on the road if any of those things are wrong with their vehicle anyway.
I don't see operating a 3 ton machine at highway speeds, on public roads, something that's a matter of personal taste or liberty. If it's a safety hazard, get that POS off the road. I find it odd that any state wouldn't make safety inspections mandatory. Honestly, you leave it to the owners to determine if their vehicle is safe enough to drive? Have you met the human race?

·
Registered
4,315 Posts
In Denver there is a half ass inspection and emissions testing on gas vehicles. Denver and Colorado Springs has emissions on diesels. From what I've seen on the roads here, we could use some inspections.
The other day I was driving home from work and was hesitant to pass a car that looked like the drivers front wheel was going to fall off. Glad the Tundra has a lot of ass under the hood to pass and get the hell out of the way.
For a small fee, I wouldn't mind.

·
Registered
717 Posts
inspections are more popular up north due to the snow and how fast road salt will eat your vehicle and thus making it unsafe and most people are to stupid/lazy/cheap to check their vehicles themselves to ensure they are safe. I know back home they check just underneath primarily to ensure nothing has rotted out.

Than you have California and they just want to rape your wallet every chance they get

Reactions: Wacked

·
Registered
13,893 Posts
heres the thing about inspections...

If you are 17 and have 1000, what do you do?
You can not buy a car for 1000 bucks that has new brakes, passes smog, and isn't a shitbox. SO does this mean that you have to find work within walking distance>??

Back when my state had inspections and smog tests I remember soo many people using cheater additives to pass smog.

I have insurance. If someone hits me, it is still insured. If they drive a shitbox, it is still insured. if they have no insurance it is still insured. If everyone had a great vehicle and knew how to drive there would be no accidents and thus no reason for insurance.... So if inspections are so great, then why do inspection states still require insurance?

·
Registered
4,315 Posts
You have a valid point, but what you didn't take into account is human error. I'm pretty sure new vehicles off the lot can have accidents too.

The insurance is a great thing to have as well, however not everyone walks away from getting smashed into just because they have a great insurance policy. My wife has been in more accidents than I would like to admit, and not one has been her fault. All but one, she was at a standstill. Colorado has a DUI problem to say the least for various reasons (college towns, military bases, etc). At least the government is going to make you hate life if you get a DUI here. First one will cost you ~8600.00.

At least vehicle inspections would keep the people off the road that don't maintain their cars whether them being 17 or 65 years old. If someone can't maintain a car because of cost, bus tickets are cheap. (Unless you live in the middle of nowhere)

I hate paying for inspections and registrations, but it is a necessary evil in my opinion.

On a side note, nice quad you have. Those KTMs are beasts. Race or recreational?

·
Registered
360 Posts
That sucks dude. California is not much better. Especially with our bull shit registration fees. Apparently you get charged some kind of "business use" fee if you have a truck regardless of if it is used for work or not.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

1 - 20 of 35 Posts