Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This thread is to see how Magnuson will "work" with problems associated with the new release of the FFV supercharger on 3rd gen Tundras updates will come along. Once the dust settles I will add in dates and more detailed information.

Here is the backstory:
16 TRD pro
@23k installed FFV Magnuson supercharger, group buy from sparksparts with BD GT tuner
Installation was done at Toyota Dealership in AZ. as always the shop foreman is the ones doing installations of the supercharger.

2 weeks Tundra ran fine normal driving city/hwy, I don't get on it as I am still breaking in the supercharger/engine. I use my other cars to get around town.
Tundra sat in garage for 2 days, as I start to leave the house Tundra goes into limp mode and will only drive 100yds or so before shutting off on its own. Check engine light on and vehicle will lock the doors when it shuts down on its own.

I have been wanting to get the truck tuned but haven't found a reputable tuner. Bullydog/SCT does not support custom tunes for Tundras. DAP is working on a tune with no ETA and another company I contacted only has a proprietary tune which you are unable to revert back to stock unless you bring it back to them and pay more $$$. The truck will be towed using Toyotacare so I can give you all a experience on that as well.

I know other people have had problems with the BD tune/tuner so please feel free to share your experiences. By the end of the week I will give an update

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
at the current time,if magnuson s/c on a ffv your best bet is the bullydog tune which is included with the magnuson kit.
me thinks you have something else going on.bad connection,sensor etc..
unless you're nailing it from cold which is a big no no.

·
Registered
14,224 Posts
I will try to give an explanation that is easily understandable for those who do not know much about engines.

Think of an engine like a lady.

You don't simply drop the hammer from a cold start.

You have to finesse it, get things warm, get fluids moving. After you know things are nice and warm, then drop the hammer as hard and as fast as you want.

Now, add a S/C, and that is like the bitchy lady. The one that goes from fine to moody when certain conditions are not all met.

If you drop the hammer when things are cold, bad things will happen, fun will end, and limp mode will occur...

:lol5:

·
Registered
115 Posts
Thanks for the explanation.
The thing is that we are here to share experiences and learn. I am new into tuning and really know little. Tnx again.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
2 weeks Tundra ran fine normal driving city/hwy, I don't get on it as I am still breaking in the supercharger/engine. I use my other cars to get around town.
Ok I'd like to clear the air into my background.

First and foremost I am a Engineer for a gov contracting company. Before that I was a ASE certified Technician for Mercedes Benz and Acura, and in my free time while a tech I used to tune cars on AEM, Apexi FC, and Hondata stand alone/piggyback ECU systems.

So when someone says your nailing it while the engine is cold, is an individual that obviously doesn't warm up any of their vehicles prior to driving their vehicle.
Glad to get that out of the way.

I use this forum to share my experiences in hopes it will help others.

Back on topic.
ToyotaCare's towing is impeccable to say the least. Within 30-45 minutes of waiting a flat bed was their to take the vehicle back to the dealer. 5 stars and if you are wondering how much miles is needed before they won't tow it, 36k.

The Tundra:
I spoke with the service writer he informed me Magnuson could not help unless the dealer filled out a form describing the symptoms and they will get a return call in 24-48hrs. That's great I just spent $7k on a supercharger not including install and Magnuson will not help a Technician over the phone during normal business hours. Wow simply put wow.. In my years of aftermarket performance parts Technical service has always been a phone call away and they will work with you right then and there, none of this I'll get back to you crap. I now know that I will not be purchasing the extended warranty offered by Magnuson and to any future Magnuson buyers you have been warned about how they will approach you should an unfortunate event like this happens to you.

A single code was found yes I know the BD tuner has the capabilities to get generic codes as all cars built and sold in the US after 1996 must had what you call a "OBD" port. On board Diagnostic if your asking. During 98-00 it went from OBD1 to OBD2 with CAN functions. The BullyDog GT tuner gives you what we techs call generic codes as the reason I opted to wait for the Tundra to get scanned by a Toyota specific scan tool.

The problem I described in the original post was duplicated by the Technician that did the supercharger installation, he is awaiting what Magnuson wants to do as it is still covered under Magnuson's original warranty 3yr/36k.

My next update will be once the truck is fixed and how Magnuson approached this situation.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
at the current time,if magnuson s/c on a ffv your best bet is the bullydog tune which is included with the magnuson kit.
me thinks you have something else going on.bad connection,sensor etc..
unless you're nailing it from cold which is a big no no.
A generic tune is what is means a generic tune for everyone across the board. A lot of factors come in to play altitude, temperature, and driving conditions e.g dust/humidity.
A company named Off range in Utah sent a Tundra for retune from BullyDog themselves. On 93 octane got 476hp. I asked for that software (mind you I am willing to pay for the license normally big $$$) and they said we don't support it sorry. WTF is that??? Magnuson adds the Bullydog tuner to allow custom tune files to be loaded but BD/SCT that has the software doesn't support the Tundra Platform.

I contacted DAP tuning which I know Shrek is a member of this forum and an avid tuner for Tundra's. At this moment DAP tuning is building a tune for FFV S/C Tundra's. Once it is available I will purchase his tune or try to fly him out to my location and tune it himself.

DAPtuning has said on their website that knock is common in the 5.7 Bullydog/SCT and Unichip pulled timing while DAPs tuning doesn't. When DAP uses their proprietary software and his dyno is able to get the knock to basically 0. I used to tune vehicles but for me being out of the industry for a while a lot has changed. I would like a custom tune to get more power and a more efficient fuel/timing map for my specific vehicle.

·
Registered
14,224 Posts
A generic tune is what is means a generic tune for everyone across the board. A lot of factors come in to play altitude, temperature, and driving conditions e.g dust/humidity.
A company named Off range in Utah sent a Tundra for retune from BullyDog themselves. On 93 octane got 476hp. I asked for that software (mind you I am willing to pay for the license normally big $$$) and they said we don't support it sorry. WTF is that??? Magnuson adds the Bullydog tuner to allow custom tune files to be loaded but BD/SCT that has the software doesn't support the Tundra Platform.

I contacted DAP tuning which I know Shrek is a member of this forum and an avid tuner for Tundra's. At this moment DAP tuning is building a tune for FFV S/C Tundra's. Once it is available I will purchase his tune or try to fly him out to my location and tune it himself.

DAPtuning has said on their website that knock is common in the 5.7 Bullydog/SCT and Unichip pulled timing while DAPs tuning doesn't. When DAP uses their proprietary software and his dyno is able to get the knock to basically 0. I used to tune vehicles but for me being out of the industry for a while a lot has changed. I would like a custom tune to get more power and a more efficient fuel/timing map for my specific vehicle.

While tuning my Grand National, I aimed for 0 knock retard.

Previous tune installed had anywhere from 2.0 to 3.8 depending on temp.

I had attained my 0 for the most part. It is just a toy, and it has many other issues, so play time is scarce. Work gets in the way, as does life in general...

Once I got close I was at 0-.2 for KR, which was acceptable for pump premium, 10% eth, and the conditions that my car see's.

A 0 knock/0° knock retard is the best for the engine. I added fuel, sacrificed a little timing, but the drive-ability and power gains over what it was before were astounding.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I contacted DAP tuning which I know Shrek is a member of this forum and an avid tuner for Tundra's. At this moment DAP tuning is building a tune for FFV S/C Tundra's.
Any idea when this will happen? :dunno:

Reactions: Mr. Creosote

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
preachin to the flex s/c choir..

you should have a p0109c as a soft code as well, thats the pressure switch grounding out the high flow setting on the stock pump when it sees a set amount of boost. Bullydog's or magnusons tune outright sucks, the truck gets stupid and starts hesitating and jerking, not to mention the 2-3 stutter shift. I monitor my truck with a edge cts2 and the knock sensor calls to pull timing nearly everytime at 4200rpm's.. DAP will be the only one that can fix it i'm guessing besides a full stand alone which is more than i'd ever want to do. Worst case scenario i sell the truck and move on.

·
Registered
657 Posts
rajahDAT,

Sorry you are having problems with your setup. I purchased my 2015FFV new 3 years ago and immediately put on the SC with a Unichip. This was not ideal and I had my fare share of issues working out what worked with the package and what did not. Finally about 6 months ago I called Sparks Toyota as the Unichip was acting up, they had a small parts kit along with the Bullydog tuner for the FFV. I purchased the kit and BD tuner and installed the items, I called Bullydog for the FFV download and they literally jumped on my computer and loaded the software on to my tuner remotely. It was a simple phone call and they were just Awesome to deal with. I went out to my truck with the folks from Bullydog on the phone and they walked me through the reflash in about 5 minutes. It was fast, easy and the Truck runs like a raped ape.

A few weeks ago my check engine light came on and it was due to Alcohol density being high. Mine was at 85%. I went to my dealer and there was a TSB from Toyota for that problem. We went through the reset procedure and all has been well since.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Final Update:

Its been a month of going back and forth with Magnuson. But on the bright side the truck is working at the moment.. cross my fingers Yes I didn't have any use of my Tundra for a month
I will explain the whole process in dealing with Magnuson on warranty issues and what went wrong on my truck.
*As a refresher this is a Gen 3 FFV S/C with a bullydog tune.*

Before you call Magnuson you or your technician must have diagnosed the issue, once the issue is found to be a part of Magnuson's S/C then YOU THE CONSUMER will have to go on Magnuson's website and request for the part or parts that have failed/broke thru their online contact form. I am not joking, normally whoever the technician is diagnosing the vehicle he/she will be the one to contact the manufacturer for the part on your behalf so that the consumer doesn't order the wrong part. Nope I had to ask for the part myself and hope they will send it out..
This is the best part of my story, diagnosis and labor to fix the issue IS OUT OF POCKET!!! YOU PAY TO FIX YOUR NEWLY INSTALLED S/C!!! Magnuson only covers the parts that went faulty in the warranty.. Yes you read that right the warranty covers parts only!

What went bad is a fuel relay harness supplied in the S/C kit.

In those 3 weeks was a lot of headaches, I called Magnuson for status update on the part nothing. I call the dealer they said they haven't received and parts which I have to say isn't their fault cause they did their diagnosis and found the harness to be faulty and need another fuel relay harness to fix the issue. What I got was miscommunication from Magnuson to the consumer/dealer. I was surprised when the rep told me that they will be shipping the part to my home address instead of the dealer??? Umm I don't have the truck its at the shop what good is it for you to send me a part that the shop needs to fix my truck... They then made an exception to send it to the dealer... WTF this truck has been "broken" for weeks and I have been waiting for a simple harness. Long and behold the wiring harness shows up and vroommm truck starts and drives again.

I learned a few things from this whole kerfuffle...
1. I am never buying a Magnuson product ever again.
2. Customer Service is behind on the times, Yes Magnuson I know you are a member on this forum take note.
3. I should have never supercharged the truck.

All the headaches with the truck I'm considering selling the truck cause its just not worth it. A product was promised as drop in power with turn key performance but the support on the platform is no where to be found.
I know I will have questions of installation was done by a rookie or someone that doesn't know what they are doing. This supercharger was installed by a Toyota Master Technician aka the shop foreman.

Another question is what will I do with the tune.. Many issues that a S/C owner never talks about is the tune which is sad that I must fork out more time and money to get it done correctly. I have the option to get it locally tuned for $1500.00 with no way to revert back to stock unless I pay another $250 and I have no hand held tuner like a cobb access port, the bullydog, or whatever. Cause the supplied tune sucks flat out.

For those looking at purchasing the Magnuson supercharger think about what I just mentioned in this post. Cool I can get the supercharger but your question should be, if something goes bad will I get support on parts/replacement parts so that I can drive my truck again? I'm fortunate enough to have other vehicles to pick on what I would like to drive but if this is your daily driver I would tell you not to s/c your Tundra.

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
its the tune you need to worry about.. the trd tune messes up better off going to DAP for a tune once your s/c is installed
yep, & he's not finished with it yet, partly decoded but still some time to go on it. Better off babying that truck until he gets it done, i've driven mine maybe 8-9 times since i've found out just how bad it is

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
my 2017 FFV runs flawless with the magnuson... I was actually terrified because I read your thread 2 days before Right Toyota was supposed to install it, and honestly, I couldn't be happier now. Im still annoyed I cant tune it myself, but it drives like factory, makes fantastic power, and overall is incredibly fun to drive! I bought the kit through the dealer and had them install it, and they told me issues are all taken care of in house. Considering they do 5-7 magnuson superchargers a month, it sounds like they have it together pretty well. Hopefully I don't see any issues and you get yours figured out!

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
I’d be willing to bet that “flawlessly” is a stretch. The ffv tune is terrible, as well as the shifting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
I’d be willing to bet that “flawlessly” is a stretch. The ffv tune is terrible, as well as the shifting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
When did you drive my truck? Im sure you saw my thread ready to trade the truck in over TCS issues, so rest assured, if there is anyone on here sensitive to drivability issues, its me. It drives LIKE FACTORY, only with a lot more power.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.