Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello Tundra Engineers,

It has been well documented on this site that the '09-'13 model Tundra's equipped with a JTEKT steering rack had a flaw causing them to fail.
This happened on both stock and lifted Tundra's.

At one point Toyota had a tech tip released on this.

There has been multiple part numbers for different revisions of the rack that we can only assume has been in an effort to resolve the issue.

With the 2014 TRD Pro Tundra coming out with a factory installed mild lift, we can only assume that you feel confident in the revised steering racks abilities.

Are you planning to release a TSB to cover the owners that own affected Tundra's with the faulty racks or an extended warranty like the Air Induction Pumps(AIP's)?

Can you please clarify the issue?

Thank you.

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Thank you oat, this needs to be addressed.

It is safe to say that it is Toyotas goal to gain more market share in the pickup truck market (as well as other markets), With the Tundra being the full size option from Toyota.

The most effective way to do that would be to attract buyers that would otherwise purchase a domestic brand. Those folks (myself included) are going to need confidence in their decision to leave their brand for the Tundra, not the least of which is the reputation that Toyota has built in the past decades of making top quality automobiles and taking care of its customers.

As a domestic brand truck buyer, I bought into the long standing reputation of Toyota quality, and it's well known history of taking care of their customers. And I'm not just talking about the obvious things, I'm talking about above & beyond (i.e. Offering to purchase older Tacomas with prematurely rusted frames...etc.). Continuing, I bought into what I believe (and still believe...for now) was one of the most solid, long lasting vehicles on the road.

Now, imagine my surprise when I discover that this manufacturer has put out a vehicle (just so happens to be the one I bought) that has 2 major flaws (steering rack failures, AIP failures) that could cost the owner thousands of dollars to repair (each incident) once they are out of the factory warranty?!?! Never mind the fact that either of these can easily leave the owner, his family, his gear (trailer/camper/whatever he/she is pulling/hauling) stranded wherever the failure occurs. We are not talking about a nuisance CEL or something, this is total failure of the system involved and preventing someone from driving the vehicle, in light of preventing further damage which they are quite possibly liable for!! Furthermore, there are a significant amount of people that are not being covered while they are within their factory warranty period because they have done a very mild lift/level (regarding the steering rack failures) to their Tundra. That can't be right, we are talking about Toyota right?!?!

Now, we are all quite aware that the AIP has a special extended warranty. That certainly helps us as buyers mitigate risk regarding that system. However, the continued denial of Toyota to officially address these steering rack failures, as well as using any/all excuses to deny warranty repair claims on trucks that have mild lifts/levels is concerning to say the least. These racks are failing on stock trucks, as well as mildly lifted trucks. This is a manufacturing/system issue, and the fact that modified (lifted) & non-modified trucks are having rack failures is evidence thereto. This is not the Toyota that we bought into.

I certainly hope that Toyota takes their position as one of the most reputable automobile manufacturers seriously. Because there are a lot of us that bought into that reputation. These issues, and Toyotas perceived responses to these issues is certainly not indicative of a top tier automobile manufacturer. I can only hope that the engineers & management at Toyota takes this matter seriously, because as buyers we certainly do.

I look forward to your response. Thank you for your time.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
185 Posts
Well put. I am in the steering rack problem group.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I'm not in the group yet, I'm in the "I've bought a tundra and a 6" lift and wheels/tires and now won't put them on because I've seen all the issues and don't want to deal with it. I've had lifted fords and Rams forever and never had a single issue with work use and towing constantly. Now I'm scared to lift my current Tundra because they are popping steering racks like crazy and Toyota won't stand behind them? Kinda makes me regret my decision to make the switch.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Popping racks like crazy is a slight overstatement. Yes there have been posts about it but nowhere near enough to say its a crazy amount. I do believe toyota needs to step up and resolve these issues without question though.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Popping racks like crazy is a slight overstatement. Yes there have been posts about it but nowhere near enough to say its a crazy amount. I do believe toyota needs to step up and resolve these issues without question though.

May be a bit of an overstatement but I was researching on another forum and the 10-13 lifted trucks that had problems in the poll was in the low 20% range, thats about 18% past unacceptable. Granted it's going to be more prominent because those with problems are more likely to complain but that's more than too many by far. Never in my life have I though will I break something as simple as a steering rack by adding bigger tires.

CV joints wear out faster, yes, obviously. Ball joints, sure. Even premature transmission wear due to the constant extra load I could understand to an extent (by premature I mean 125k miles instead of 150) but 3 racks in 10,000 miles for some people is just flat out ridiculous.

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
What's the latest with this? I have a 2012 Toyota Tundra, and the dealership wants $2200 to repair the Steering Rack?!?!

Still no official TSB or Recall?

I have billstein 5100 at the medium setting, and upsized my tires 1 size.

The dealership mentioned nothing about my "lift" if you can call it that, they said im simply out of warranty because I have 66,000 miles :(

·
Premium Member
1,942 Posts
What's the latest with this? I have a 2012 Toyota Tundra, and the dealership wants $2200 to repair the Steering Rack?!?!

Still no official TSB or Recall?

I have billstein 5100 at the medium setting, and upsized my tires 1 size.

The dealership mentioned nothing about my "lift" if you can call it that, they said im simply out of warranty because I have 66,000 miles :(

Call Toyota.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Call Toyota.
What number should we call, i was told that mine is going to cost 4,000 dollars.. i almost fell out. I have a 3" lift with 35's and a extended warranty. they said because of the lift it is not in warranty.. so pissed, want to sell the truck.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts