Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up a kenwood DNX6190 and it has the USB lead that goes somewhere in the truck. My question is, can I tap into the factory port and splice it to utilize the factory USB port from Toyota? Or is the wiring super sensitive on USB?

Reactions: ricosuave

·
Registered
50 Posts
I would love to know this as well....my old ass alpine has a usb input on the back and i'm currently running a cable and tucking the usb flash drive up under the side of the center console

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My initial thought is it should wire up no prob. They're both female USB connectors etc.

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
read a couple things that said yes you can, guess i'll be the guinea pig lol

Reactions: larankevin

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I tried tonight and so far it's not working. I need to order a new piece for the awsc so when I put that in ill tackle it again.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Answer is yes.. I did it on my GF's FRS and it had the same USB/Aux plug as the Tundra.

I plan on doing it to mine when I upgrade my system.

I used a similar process to what Clean-Slate linked.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I just found this thread and thought I'd add my 2 cents. I tried the above mentioned way and never had much luck with it. After modifying the USB cable the connection was not very secure and would loosen up on me.

I just recently found this adapter at Crutchfield that should work perfectly - I haven't purchased it yet so I can't say for sure. Here is is:

Metra AX-TOYUSB-2 Cable for Toyota and Lexus Allows you to connect the factory USB port on select 2010-up Toyota vehicles to a new car stereo at Crutchfield.com

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
I just found this thread and thought I'd add my 2 cents. I tried the above mentioned way and never had much luck with it. After modifying the USB cable the connection was not very secure and would loosen up on me.

I just recently found this adapter at Crutchfield that should work perfectly - I haven't purchased it yet so I can't say for sure. Here is is:

Metra AX-TOYUSB-2 Cable for Toyota and Lexus Allows you to connect the factory USB port on select 2010-up Toyota vehicles to a new car stereo at Crutchfield.com
It works as long as your truck is not factory navigation, the nab radio users a different one

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
160 Posts

FYI, I tried both the AX-TOYUSB-2 and the AX-TOYUSB in my 2012 non-navigation Tundra, and neither of them worked!!!

·
Registered
663 Posts
Just modify the USB cable and the back of the USB/AUX connector and you are good to go. Mine was not very loose but if you are having an issue with it falling out, you could always use a little hot glue to hold it in place.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've got the USB port added to my 2008. Did it similar to the link above, but with much less chopping. I didn't cut anything off the port and only trimmed the metal off the sides of the USB plug, then only trimmed enough off the plastic sides of the USB plug so that it would fit snug in the port. It's been working fine for months.

Reactions: BamaMan44

·
Premium Member
774 Posts
I was pulling my hair out trying to find a clean way to install my USB and aux plugs from my Pioneer AVIC. Here's what I finally came up with. I popped out one of the metal cigarette lighter power sockets and used the housing for my plugs. They fit so tight in there that I didn't need to do anything to attach them other than just squeeze them in. I can shut the cover and its completely hidden. Yes, I did lose a power socket, but I have a splitter I can plug into the other if needed.

[/URL][/IMG]

Reactions: pdizzle

·
Premium Member
774 Posts
That's the factory Tundra lighter plug housing with the USB and aux cable ends that came with the Pioneer AVIC head unit. I just removed the metal sleeve from the factory plug and shoved the two plugs in together.

·
Registered
305 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
I was able to splice in an old USB cord after some careful work with the multimeter to figure out which cable went where.

By the way, the only reason I did it was because I didn't know the Metra adapter cable existed...

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 20 of 64 Posts