Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2017 Limited CM and have the horrible excuse for factory remote start. It was added at port with the glass breakage sensor and I want to know what was involved in the install. Is it plug and play or was there splicing of wires?

Reason for asking is I want to have it removed and get a Viper or like remote start installed that will not shut off when I unlock it.

I’m trying to avoid a double hack job

·
Registered
14,226 Posts
The fortin is close, but you still have to splice a few wires, but it is very minimal in comparison to most.

Reactions: BOOSTEDSVT03

·
Registered
14,226 Posts
If you are a Viper dealer and not best buy is the installation quality good?
Anywhere is likely better than the hacks at BB.

I am not a dealer.

I purchased mine online pre-flashed for my truck and took it to a local place where I know the manager and I deal with a lot. Charged me $80. Said it was stupid simple.

There are only two dealers I will ever have anything done at. One is actually the retail shop attached to the distributor who owns that shop. However they were silly on pricing. So I went with the other place.

Generally speaking, install shops vary too much with quality. You have to find a shop that is good, or find a recommended shop with good experiences.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I install tons of Compustar Cm7200 Remote Starters with the Blade AL bypass and if your handy its a simple solder install you can do yourself. If your interested in tackling this job let me know I can give you a list of what you need.

·
Registered
450 Posts
We just had a 2 way Viper installed in the wife 2015 RAV4 and it came with a T-Harness, so there wasn't any splicing.

I asked the installer directly if they were going to splice into any wires and he said "NO" the unit had the t-harness and no splicing.

BTW -
I installed the GBS on my 2011 Tundra. It was also plug and play. That unit should be installed directly below you knees right inside the drivers kick panel.

·
Registered
14,226 Posts
Even with the T harness you typically have to tap the tpms signal, the light switch, and I think 2 other wires. I forget exactly.

Reactions: BOOSTEDSVT03

·
Premium Member
41 Posts
I just installed the Fortin Evo. Got it from James Randy Taylor over at Tech12volts.com/FB TundraCrew page. It includes the "T" harness, schematic, and youtube video. I did it in about 2 hours and that stopping to double check the few wires I did have to splice. I hit one small snag in programming the unit, sent a message over to James thinking I would have to wait until Monday to get a response, he called me back and walked me through the process and I was up and running. This was at 9:30 on a Saturday night. I know some of you have your go to "shops" but I seriously don't think they will have this kind of customer service. This unit keeps your factory key fob, and has a few of those monitor the unit through phone app add-ons if you want it. For under $180.00 for remote start it was one of the best DIY's I have completed on my truck.

Reactions: Powertechn2

·
Registered
39 Posts
With the Fortin, it should tun for 15 minutes I believe. From what I've heard, as long as you unlock the door, insert key in ignition and turn 2 clicks to on position BEFORE pressing the brake pedal, it will remain running.

·
Registered
14,226 Posts
Thanks for the info! When does the truck shut off or does it remain running when the key is inserted?
The run time is programmable.

I believe default is 10 min, I had mine set for 15 min.

·
Registered
14,226 Posts
Anyone remove the factory system? How much is there to remove? Looking at getting the Fortin Evo 2 now based on the reviews
Pretty sure the oem is plug and play. Or unplug and remove.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Pretty sure the oem is plug and play. Or unplug and remove.

OEM is plug and play install as I put one in my '17. I thought I would be ok with its limitations but it's not much of a help really only running about 5 minutes and shutting off at door unlock is a slight irritation but it's getting to bother me more than I anticipated. You can get install directions for OE online and it's fairly simple. Have to take the glove box out and the radio to get to all the connections. If I had it to do again, I'd do the Evo.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have a 2017 Limited CM and have the horrible excuse for factory remote start. It was added at port with the glass breakage sensor and I want to know what was involved in the install. Is it plug and play or was there splicing of wires?

Reason for asking is I want to have it removed and get a Viper or like remote start installed that will not shut off when I unlock it.

I’m trying to avoid a double hack job

@BOOSTEDSVT03 what's wrong with the remote start? Toyota owes me money in parts and I was considering having them instal a remote start on my 2017 Platinum.

·
Registered
14,226 Posts
@BOOSTEDSVT03 what's wrong with the remote start? Toyota owes me money in parts and I was considering having them instal a remote start on my 2017 Platinum.
The factory remote start shuts off when you open a door. So you have to re-start once you get in before driving off.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.