Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hate the antiquated wire antenna. Has anyone replaced their factory antenna with a Short or something similar? How do you like it and did it diminish your stereo reception?

·
Registered
361 Posts

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
The whip antenna is that length for a technical reason... but if looks are more important then ok. It's not antiquated. Physics does not get 'dated'.

Reactions: Ed Zeppeli

·
Registered
156 Posts

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
What about AM sports talk radio? Will the stubby work?
What station and how far away will you be operating the vehicle while wanting to listen to this station? Really if you are close to a 50,000W clear channel station you can pick it up with maybe just a screw stuffed into the antenna socket, while if you're trying to pick up a 1,000W directional pattern station 200 miles away you might lose it when you remove the antenna.

·
Premium Member
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The whip antenna is that length for a technical reason... but if looks are more important then ok. It's not antiquated. Physics does not get 'dated'.
Look around man, most cars do not have whip antennas anymore - they are antiquated, replaced by antennas in the glass. I can't remember the last car I owned with a whip antenna.

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
Look around man, most cars do not have whip antennas anymore - they are antiquated, replaced by antennas in the glass. I can't remember the last car I owned with a whip antenna.
Antennas that use the same trace material as the defrosters are a compromise between visual looks and technical performance. Same with integrated antennas in many cell phones these days. They're a compromise for the average consumer who values looks and fashion over technical performance. More so these days as some automakers seem to believe that people don't really listen to terrestrial broadcast radio anymore and it's low on their list of priorities.

I work on commercial telecom systems (land mobile and microwave) for a living and if conductive traces on glass panels were really the pinnacle of RF technology we'd be all over it right now. It's really a step backwards in technical performance in favour of streamlined design and the 0.000000001% better aerodynamic drag reduction and possibly reduced wind noise.

I do notice these things but other full-size pickup trucks sold today also use whip antennas for broadcast band reception.

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
I have no issue with you not liking the looks of a whip antenna, but I disagree with your term that it is 'antiquated' - basically implying that there is something better out there. My argument is that it is not technically better, but you believe that it looks better and the reduction in technical performance is not significant to you as long as the visual aesthetics are pleasing.

That's all fine, but it's a tradeoff is all I'm saying, not a win-win.

Reactions: dissipator16
1 - 17 of 17 Posts