Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
I'm pretty sure I've got the non-JBL system. No subwoofer... that's the difference, right. Anyway, I was surprised (like many after I searched around a bit) to find a tiny amp under the front passenger seat. I'm putting in 5-channel amp, sub, all-new speakers, and replacing the OEM head unit. Can I just ignore that little thing under the seat? Or do I need to take it out?

·
Premium Member
4,002 Posts
I'm pretty sure I've got the non-JBL system. No subwoofer... that's the difference, right. Anyway, I was surprised (like many after I searched around a bit) to find a tiny amp under the front passenger seat. I'm putting in 5-channel amp, sub, all-new speakers, and replacing the OEM head unit. Can I just ignore that little thing under the seat? Or do I need to take it out?
No JBL for you..:eek:

I'm guessing you're going to use a Maestro Idatalink for your new HU.

iDatalink - Maestro - Home

If you want to use the OEM wiring for your new HU and amp, you can make a harness for that.

http://www.tundratalk.net/forums/tu...n/373441-2014-factory-amp-wiring-diagram.html

You can get to all 4 door speaker output wires, front and rear amp inputs (unless you're running RCAs straight from the new HU), a 12v acc on for your amp remote on lead, from those connectors under that seat.
You'll just have to run your amp power line from the battery and sub wires.

I mounted my 5 channel amp under the front pass seat where the factory amp was..

I also ended up running another speaker wire to the front doors to the crossovers for my mids since they are bi-amped off my 5 channel amp.
Tweeters use the OEM wiring to the crossover.

I run the rear door speakers straight off the HU..
I ended up disconnecting the dash speakers too.

If you don't have tweeters in your front doors and would like to add them, you can buy OEM tweeter door sails.

Using the connection where the underseat amp keeps everything plug and play.
I can put the stock Entune, stock speakers, and factory amp back in fairly easily if I sell or trade the truck.

You can also retain the the factory dash USB by using this adapter to your new HU.

iDATALINK MAESTRO ACC-USB-TO2

iDatalink - Maestro - UTO2

Good luck...

·
Registered
131 Posts
Yes, got the Maestro Rr. Along with uTO2, sTO2, and TO2. And I'm going to run RCAs from the head unit back to the amp. I'm putting separates in the doors and for the tweeters, I'll put them in the stock corner locations on the dash. Thought it was odd there were 4 wires going to the stock speakers in those locations....

The sub is going in an enclosure from Net Audio and I'm going to put the amp right next to it under the (Double Cab) rear seat. I'll lose that nifty little factory storage box, but oh well. Only had a set of jumper cables and a little fire extinguisher in there. I'm sure I can rig up something simple under the seat to keep them in place.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Since you mounted the amp under the passenger seat I'm guessing that means I can pull the little factory amp and leave it disconnected?

·
Premium Member
4,002 Posts
Yes, got the Maestro Rr. Along with uTO2, sTO2, and TO2. And I'm going to run RCAs from the head unit back to the amp. I'm putting separates in the doors and for the tweeters, I'll put them in the stock corner locations on the dash. Thought it was odd there were 4 wires going to the stock speakers in those locations....

The sub is going in an enclosure from Net Audio and I'm going to put the amp right next to it under the (Double Cab) rear seat. I'll lose that nifty little factory storage box, but oh well. Only had a set of jumper cables and a little fire extinguisher in there. I'm sure I can rig up something simple under the seat to keep them in place.
As to the dash speakers:
There are 4 wires because they go from the HU, to the side dash speakers, to the center dash speaker.
Center speaker is a dual coil that has both left and right channels.

Left side, right center.

I have a JL Audio Stealthbox that takes up the left rear seat area.
I can still keep my jack and work jackets on the right side.

I have a Undercover Swing Case in the bed that I keep some tools and jumper cables in.
I need to get a fire extinguisher for my truck.

Since you mounted the amp under the passenger seat I'm guessing that means I can pull the little factory amp and leave it disconnected?
I pulled mine and it is in the attic with all my other Tundra OEM stuff.

·
Registered
131 Posts
As to the dash speakers:
There are 4 wires because they go from the HU, to the side dash speakers, to the center dash speaker.
Center speaker is a dual coil that has both left and right channels.
Ah... so is that the reason when I put the sound all the way to the front, left corner the audio nearly disappears?
I pulled mine and it is in the attic with all my other Tundra OEM stuff.
Cool.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Don't tell me that. I got the navigation unit because I didn't want to upgrade the head unit. :)

Does anyone know why crutchfield shows that some 6 1/2 in and 6 3/4 in speakers fit and others don't?
You can put aftermarket 6 by 9's if you have the right person doing it.they cut out the stock 6 by 9 and install a great set of Kenwood 6 by 9's into the stock door mount .much better sound than going.
with the round 6.5

·
Registered
19 Posts
Don't tell me that. I got the navigation unit because I didn't want to upgrade the head unit. :)

Does anyone know why crutchfield shows that some 6 1/2 in and 6 3/4 in speakers fit and others don't?
Who uses factory navigation?? Get a new head unit with apple car play and be done with it.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts