Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I'm looking at getting either the Trifecta or Solid Fold cover. Does anyone have opinions or thoughts on these covers? I'm not sure which one to get. I've read a few complaints about leakage on the Solid Fold but that Extang was working on a fix.

I also see that the Trifecta is available with a canvas material instead of vinyl.

Any comments are appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Registered
233 Posts
I've found that almost all the folding covers lack 100% waterproof protection - despite company assurances. I purchased a Bakflip and I have been quite pleased with it. I've noticed a few drops of water inside after heavy rains, but nothing that really concerned me.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have the Trifecta by Extang on my Crewmax and it is great. We open and close it often and it doesn't leak. My cover came with weather stripping for the tailgate and the inside of the box is always dry. I've driven through some heavy rain and strong wind and still no problems. You can tell right where the framework bends to open when looking at it. I'm very happy with the Trifecta.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your replies guys!

Well, I ended up getting the Trifecta. Very happy with it. I still am drawn to the Solid Fold, but I've read reviews (the few of them that exist) and they mention leakage at the hinges. Don't want that.

Maybe in a year or two after they work out the kinks, I'll get one.

I've never had a soft tonneau before and I must say, it makes me nervous watching that thing flap in the wind when going down the highway. I keep thinking it will rip right off the frame. I guess its normal though.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I've found that almost all the folding covers lack 100% waterproof protection - despite company assurances. I purchased a Bakflip and I have been quite pleased with it. I've noticed a few drops of water inside after heavy rains, but nothing that really concerned me.
do you have pictures of your bakflip.....i would love to see it installed before dropping the cash....thanks

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
really considering a Trifecta, anyone gots pics of it on the 07, also how secure is it as far as locking so no one can get in it
The cover is quite secure, more than I thought it would be. It surprised me how hard it is to pull up on the cover once it is clamped in place. And because we have locking tailgates, it's instant security. But, someone with a knife would be in it in seconds.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Do the plastic clips at the forward end of the trifecta tonneau flap around when youre going down the highway at all?
No, they don't. It's hard to tell from the pics, but there isn't much strap on the clips, they're on a really short leash so to speak.

The tarp itself does flap a bit on the highway. It sounds like a flag in the wind if I have the back window open. Its about the only thing I don't like about it, but I believe it is normal for a soft cover to flap a bit.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have had both the Solid Fold and the Trifecta. I had the Trifecta on my 06 Lariet and I now have the solid fold on my 07 Tundra. In my opinion, the Solid fold is the way to go. I live in a dusty area and that trifecta is hard to keep clean. I even purchased the Signatrure Series and 2 bottles of the protectant and still a problem. In the winter ice made me uneasy with the way it put pressure on the cover. It never ripped or tore, but it didn't look to solid. We don't get much of that weather down in the south, but the few times we did, I would not drive it.

I have had no leak problem with the solid fold. In my opinion the trick to it not leaking is making sure you get a good seal in the front. The bed caps make the sides of the covers a touch higher than the front. I used 3M seal in the front to make sure there were no gaps. I also have a bed rug installed, so that keeps almost all dust and rain fron entering from the tailgate area.

If you shop around, you can find the solid fold for about $550. I ended up buying from autoanything after a price match from another online retailer. The guy I spoke with said that EXTANG controls the listed prices for all official retailers, but they can price match if you find it cheaper.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I ended up buying from Autoanything. I would suggest doing a search on Google and after finding the lowest price, get them to beat it. I purchased my Solid Fold from them and got them to take an additional $125 off becasue I found it cheaper somewhere else.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Solod fold

Thanks for your replies guys!

Well, I ended up getting the Trifecta. Very happy with it. I still am drawn to the Solid Fold, but I've read reviews (the few of them that exist) and they mention leakage at the hinges. Don't want that.

Maybe in a year or two after they work out the kinks, I'll get one.

I've never had a soft tonneau before and I must say, it makes me nervous watching that thing flap in the wind when going down the highway. I keep thinking it will rip right off the frame. I guess its normal though.
My solid fold leaks at the hingles, still trying to figure why. I like the cover, looks great on truck

·
Registered
3 Posts
Solid Fold

Hey guys,

I'm looking at getting either the Trifecta or Solid Fold cover. Does anyone have opinions or thoughts on these covers? I'm not sure which one to get. I've read a few complaints about leakage on the Solid Fold but that Extang was working on a fix.

I also see that the Trifecta is available with a canvas material instead of vinyl.

Any comments are appreciated.

Thanks!
Like the solid cover better than soft, had my soft cover cut open o n a trip and to pay almost $200 for replacement

·
Registered
6 Posts
I ended up buying from Autoanything. I would suggest doing a search on Google and after finding the lowest price, get them to beat it. I purchased my Solid Fold from them and got them to take an additional $125 off becasue I found it cheaper somewhere else.
good deal---im gonna look for covers soon, but first i have to find a cat converter...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.