Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a exhaust leak at the air induction tube where it meets the exhaust manifold. I have read that I was not the only one with this problem. So I took it to Toyota to see if I could get it covered under emission warranty as my truck had 70k on it. They said they would not cover it and was going to cost 400 bucks to pull off and put a new gasket on it. Well I'm a master ase mechanic and could tell the thing was cracked and didn't need a gasket but they argued with me anyway. So I took it home let it cool down and in 1 hour had the manifold off completely and sure enough the flange was seperated from the pipe on the manifold. I took my welder out and ran a bead all the way around the outside of the pipe and flange and had it back in. Total job took 2 1/2 hours and will never break again. So if anyone has this issue don't buy a new manifold find a buddy that can weld and have him weld it up for u. It's a way better fix than a factory replacement.

My truck is a 08 dc with the 5.7

· Premium Member
3,547 Posts
I'm pretty sure I have this going on with my tundra.

A few questions.

Were you able to reuse the gasket?

Did you use a mig welder to do the repairs?

Did any manifold bolts/nuts break?

Do you recall any of the bolts being hard to get at?

I have
my own lift and mig welder help with this job.

Thanks

Kirk
Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

· Premium Member
3,547 Posts
I just logged into my alldata account. What you describe and what they describe is totally different. I find that they generally make it look harder than it is. I hope it is as easy as you describe.

Kirk

· Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I did use a mig. The 2 bolts on the tube flange are not real easy but if u have a good 1/4 inch socket set they aren't that bad. Of course all data makes it look harder and longer that's how shops make money. Like I said they wanted 400 bucks to pull mine and put a 5 dollar gasket in it. I reused the small gasket but bought new manifold gasket but u can reuse those if u want. With my account at Toyota it only cost me 28 bucks for them so I figured I would just do it while I had it out. Pull off both inner fender well splash guard and take off tire and stick in some jack stands. Unplug your cats and them off manifold,then pull front driveline ,dust shield for manifold and all is pretty self explanatory from there. If u need any help pm me and I can help walk u through it. The time I posted was with great snap on tools and power tools it may be a bit longer but worth it because our manifolds are 500 bucks apiece plus labor. It's really a easy job some people make it out harder than it really is. Let me know I I can help

· Premium Member
3,547 Posts
Thanks for the write up. I'm actually kinda looking forward to doing mine.

I'm a welder first and shade tree machanic second. I have all the usual air tools and a lift, so the job should not be too bad.

Thaqnks, again

Kirk

· Registered
343 Posts
Chad, can you post a few photos of what you welded? Was it the manifold? Me old haid is having a bit of a time figuring out what area you welded. Thanks.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.