Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

Exhaust flange bolt removal (stripped)

11K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  The Tahoe Whisperer 
#1 ·
I decided to post this here, since all of you are replacing uour exhausts.... So, I decided to take the muffler off of my tundra. Things were going great until I got to the last flange bolt (holding the exhaust to the catalytic converters).

I've tried lubing the heck out if it with WD-40, even letting it soak over night. I've tried a pipe wrench, and even bought a set of craftsman sockets made just for releasing rounded bolts (what a waste of $50).

I think my only solution is to head down to Home Depot and pick up an angle grinder.... But I was a little weary of marring up the flange.

Any other ideas?

#2 ·
A toyota tech me that their trick was to soak the rusted bolt with "Brake Fluid" and it worked all the time (as he stated)..
Its worth a try before the grinder. I would think you would have to use a small brush, maybe a paint brush to get as much brake fluid on the area as possible..
Good luck..

#3 ·
Cut a slot in the bolt with a dremmel and use a big flat head. This has worked for me many times.

#7 ·
Yes sir. No shortage of it.... It turned my exhaust bolts into brittle rusty pieces of junk... WD-40 and a breaker bar were Enough for 3 of them, but the fourth's head stripped right off.

The only solution was a cut-off wheel and a grinder to pop the nut off, and a punch to push it through.

One things for sure now: when I put it all together, I'll be using some high temp paint to try and keep it fresh...

Boy, do these tundras sound like race cars with their mufflers off though.

#8 ·
I live in north Minnesota here a trick that will for sure I tried it once and now I use it non stop on EVERYTHING UNDER my taheo just install you new fresh DRY bolts or studs or nuts ... Ect and nice healthy coat of flex seal the original black can to remove is super easy light heat from a hand touch even WARM IT up use a pic peals right off

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.