Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I decided to post this here, since all of you are replacing uour exhausts.... So, I decided to take the muffler off of my tundra. Things were going great until I got to the last flange bolt (holding the exhaust to the catalytic converters).

I've tried lubing the heck out if it with WD-40, even letting it soak over night. I've tried a pipe wrench, and even bought a set of craftsman sockets made just for releasing rounded bolts (what a waste of $50).

I think my only solution is to head down to Home Depot and pick up an angle grinder.... But I was a little weary of marring up the flange.

Any other ideas?

·
Premium Member
2,009 Posts
A toyota tech me that their trick was to soak the rusted bolt with "Brake Fluid" and it worked all the time (as he stated)..
Its worth a try before the grinder. I would think you would have to use a small brush, maybe a paint brush to get as much brake fluid on the area as possible..
Good luck..

·
Registered
507 Posts
Cut a slot in the bolt with a dremmel and use a big flat head. This has worked for me many times.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
you must live in an area that gets salt in the winter to de-ice the roads?
Yes sir. No shortage of it.... It turned my exhaust bolts into brittle rusty pieces of junk... WD-40 and a breaker bar were Enough for 3 of them, but the fourth's head stripped right off.

The only solution was a cut-off wheel and a grinder to pop the nut off, and a punch to push it through.

One things for sure now: when I put it all together, I'll be using some high temp paint to try and keep it fresh...

Boy, do these tundras sound like race cars with their mufflers off though.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts