Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good day folks,

2011 Tundra Double Cab 5.7 Short Bed 4x4 tow pkg, our everything automobile: all-season M-F daily driver through Westchester and NYC and weekend family-landscaping-racecar-camping hauler-warrior throughout the entire northeast.

We currently have stock headers and exhaust system. Though most of the exhaust is coming out of the tailpipe, the muffler is now leaking water (during condensation) and exhaust gases as well as does the o-ring between the mid-pipes and the muffler pipes. After 116K in the salty northeast, it's rusted, and pleasantly surprised it lasted this long.

I fully expect to change out the mid-pipes/cats, muffler, and tailpipe sections SOON. I want the new system to:
  • Provide for a mild increase of MPG and power (assuming all things being equal on the right foot)
  • Keep the CATs (between the race cars and 12 mpg daily commuting, no need to pollute any more than we have to)
  • Still stay quiet or relatively close to OEM noise levels.
  • Have as many as matched components as possible, i.e. one vendor for all three components or complementary pieces if there's mix-n-match.
  • Be reasonable priced, under $1K in parts.
I searched on JEGS.com, summitracing.com, bosalusa.com, rockauto.com, jbaheaders.com, etc. Too many options for me to consider. Going with WALKER feels a total cheeseball option. Going with JBA long headers, mid-pipes w/ cut-in CATS, and catbacks sounds like overkill.

I bring an offering (?!?) to the Tundra exhaust Gods for answers. Any balanced options out there? Many thanks.

·
Premium Member
4,608 Posts
If you just want a stock replacement look on the forums and places like Craigslist, many people who replace theirs for something louder will sell the stock stuff cheap. Other than that, an often recommended aftermarket system is BAM muffler.

·
Registered
523 Posts
If you are going to replace the manifolds and mid pipes you may as well get an ARH direct connect long tube header kit with cats, then a used factory cat-back and a new or used factory tail pipe. It won't be loud and your mpgs might be better. If you can get by with just replacing the factory muffler with another, follow Azblue's advice.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you both for the great ideas!

Craigslist didn't show much in my area. Some guy selling a rusted cat-back for $400. I am looking at BAM options now.

The American Racing Headers is a great choice, just pricey @ $2K for the long header - cat combo. Their cat-back system looks fantatic, yet at another ~$2K. Ugh.

I will update the thread with more finds when I run across them.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yup, I've been reading much on drone here as well as online reviews. The Wife would not approve.

In other news, I found that Magnaflow site was pretty helpful in terms of external and internal noise levels for each of their systems. MagnaFlow Performance Exhaust Systems & Cat Back Exhaust for Cars

The MAGNAFLOW 16485 looks like an good option, $600-$720 dollars with Mild internal noise levels w/ free shipping. Between that Magnaflow system and two sets of catted mid-pipes from AP Emissions via rockauto.com, I might be in business for less than $1250. Any advice on the Magnaflow? I will do a quick search here on the forum later tonight for the part number.

Also begs the question, which catted mid-pipes are the best for flow? Any known difference between WALKER, BOSAL, AP EMISSIONS, or EASTERN CATALYTIC ? (I have no idea)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
@H20 MAN BAM has a decent looking and 8" Standard Cat-back system, Stainless Steel $949. Sound about right for what I am looking for slightly overbudget when you add in the OEM catted mid-pipes for $600.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Thanks H20Man. A buddy of mine who worked at a dealer Toyota Service Dept mentioned that the OEM mufflers have a weep hole. It got me thinking that I could go cheap here for the time being: order some Toyota exhaust gaskets, cut the bolts between the mid-pipes and muffler, wire brush the hell out of ends and seal surface, install new gaskets/seals and new bolts, and see how that works. Parts and shipping, $35; Time (self, unlimited), $0; Swearing, plenty.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm using the Borla system and like it. It's a little louder than stock, but just a little, no highway drone and a little power increase. I recommend it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
2007 DC - I built a Y pipe to connect the midpipes/cats to a 3 inch diameter straight pipe connecting to the stock tailpipe. I added a 26 inch long 2 inch diameter helmholtz pipe that nearly eliminated the drone. Very quiet at idle, liveable level at 2K rpm cruise and a pleasing (to me) wide open throttle reminiscent of the burned out glass packs of my youth. Yes, I'm old - 75...

·
Registered
23 Posts
I just replaced the OEM exhaust on my 2019 Tundra SR5 with the TRD dual exhaust kit and really love it. It is a true dual system with two separate tube type mufflers welded together with left and right exhaust exiting behind the mud flaps . The entire system is stainless steel and easy to install if to have access to a lift It uses existing hangers and furnishes all other needed parts. The rear pipe ends are either polished stainless or polished black . It also sounds like a true dual system with just low deep pulsating rumble that you can barely hear at highway speeds with NO DRONE.The installation instructions states 2010 and up but has the following conflicts: Short wheelbase 5.5, long wheelbase 8.1 and V6 vehicles . Fits medium base 6.5 and 4.6L or 5.7L vehicles. Part numbers are PTRO3-34160 ,PTRO3-34191 chrome finish or PTRO3-34161,PTRO3-34190 black finish. Pricey ,I paid 1011.15 plus tax for the system . Muffler and tail pipes are priced separately .Retail price was higher so ask for a discount . My Tundra had only 4600 miles when I put this set on . Sounds really good , you would love it. If you have a 5.5 or 8.1 bed ask your parts department , they may find a system for you . Now I have a almost new OEM set to sell .

1 - 17 of 17 Posts