Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 17' CM that is leveled with a ICON stage 4 suspension. I only lifted the front 1.5" and retained the stock springs. ICON includes a 1.5" rear leaf pack that if you use the main and overload leafs, allegedly doesn't affect towing.

Current difference in height from front to rear is 1.5"

My question is, it doesn't seem like I am towing all that much weight but the truck stance bears concern.

I don't want to add the rear leaf pack if it will give me the 70's muscle car rake but also don't want it squatted like a Carolina Bro Country boy.

Any Ideas or options?

·
Premium Member
220 Posts
Get a set of timbrens. Might need a spacer to compensate for lift but after doing a lot of research on here and elsewhere this is what works amazing for me.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I'm not a tow expert by any stretch, but the load doesn't seem very balanced. The heaviest parts of the car look extremely far over the tandem axle. Do you know what the tongue weight is? Moving the vehicle back a foot or two may help with that sag. Might want to research a weight distributing hitch too.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I'm not a tow expert by any stretch, but the load doesn't seem very balanced. The heaviest parts of the car look extremely far over the tandem axle. Do you know what the tongue weight is? Moving the vehicle back a foot or two may help with that sag. Might want to research a weight distributing hitch too.
I agree, the car should be a good 2 feet farther back on the trailer!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The Uhaul trailers rely on the front lip to pull the car against so it is not setup to be setback. I think they purposely do this to avoid sway. They are heavy trailers but I have NEVER seen this amount of squat with the Big Three 1/2 ton trucks.

Backing is easier said than done with a lowered high horsepower car.

Thank you all for the replies! Im trying to find an airbag setup that will not interfere with off road use, I can't see how resting on a bumpstop is a good idea like the Timbren setup.

·
Registered
482 Posts
The Uhaul trailers rely on the front lip to pull the car against so it is not setup to be setback. I think they purposely do this to avoid sway. They are heavy trailers but I have NEVER seen this amount of squat with the Big Three 1/2 ton trucks.

Backing is easier said than done with a lowered high horsepower car.

Thank you all for the replies! Im trying to find an airbag setup that will not interfere with off road use, I can't see how resting on a bumpstop is a good idea like the Timbren setup.

You mean the small 3. Toyota is bigger.

Here's mine with my cruiser on it. Weighs way more than your mustang. Loading it up picked the back wheels off the ground.
Didn't sag much at all. Looks like it is because of the angle.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I agree, the car should be a good 2 feet farther back on the trailer!
Just turn the mustang around. That should help a lot.
You mean the small 3. Toyota is bigger.

Here's mine with my cruiser on it. Weighs way more than your mustang. Loading it up picked the back wheels off the ground.
Didn't sag much at all. Looks like it is because of the angle.

Nice looking setup! What is your suspension setup consisting of? Are you leveled?

Mine may look worse than it is since the front end is lifted 1.5"

·
Registered
95 Posts
I have dakar rear leaf springs, and firestone airbags, with coachbuilder +1 shackles, and off road. I rarely have to air up the firestones when towing a car like you do in the picture.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have dakar rear leaf springs, and firestone airbags, with coachbuilder +1 shackles, and off road. I rarely have to air up the firestones when towing a car like you do in the picture.

Thanks for the reply, with your Bilstein setup how high did you raise the front and what did the Dakar leafs do to the rear? Do you have a rake?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Thanks for the reply, with your Bilstein setup how high did you raise the front and what did the Dakar leafs do to the rear? Do you have a rake?
I don't have the measurements in front of me, but I have the 6112's on the top setting with a cb shim to level it side to side. Here is a side pic:

·
Registered
14,225 Posts
Here is the thing.

These trucks only have about a 2.6-2.75" rake.

You took away at least 1.5" of that.

I had my 370lb quad in the bed last week. That was enough to lower the rear about 1/2", but to the eye it seems like so much more.

You may have had 800-1000lb tongue load with the stang on that trailer.

The rake in the truck from the factory is so when it is loaded it doesn't look squatty.

You will see many threads from Pro owners saying that their trucks squat so bad when towing, when in actuality is is all an illusion.

The LC has a better weight balance. It isn't a fox body where the weight is way more f than r.

If the posters truck with the LC had a 2.5" front lift, it would look worse than yours with the 1.5".

This is why you don't really see anyone with full stock trucks complaining about squatty potty rears.

Reactions: BOOSTEDSVT03

·
Registered
95 Posts
found a pic, dakar's without the firestone's air'd up:

·
Registered
482 Posts
Here is the thing.

These trucks only have about a 2.6-2.75" rake.

You took away at least 1.5" of that.

I had my 370lb quad in the bed last week. That was enough to lower the rear about 1/2", but to the eye it seems like so much more.

You may have had 800-1000lb tongue load with the stang on that trailer.

The rake in the truck from the factory is so when it is loaded it doesn't look squatty.

You will see many threads from Pro owners saying that their trucks squat so bad when towing, when in actuality is is all an illusion.

The LC has a better weight balance. It isn't a fox body where the weight is way more f than r.

If the posters truck with the LC had a 2.5" front lift, it would look worse than yours with the 1.5".

This is why you don't really see anyone with full stock trucks complaining about squatty potty rears.

May have better weight distribution. But still way heavier

·
Registered
396 Posts
I don't know if this will help much at all because my Tundra is a) 2WD; and, b) stock ride height. I do think the rear of both trucks are at about the same height from the ground with the trailers loaded. I think the difference that you are experiencing is what @Powertechn2 was saying earlier regarding the original rake.

It looks to me from your photos that the rear of your truck is not dropping any lower than mine. Instead it APPEARS that it is lower than mine in the rear because the front is higher than mine.

I provided photos that you can use to compare with as we can compare apples to apples here regarding U-Haul's auto transport trailers and somewhat relatively similar weight vehicles loaded (not exact though).

My .02 worth...

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
plain and simple. Too much tongue weight. Look in the owners manual and see what you are rated at, and stay there. Reduce tongue weight by moving the load back on your trailer, to within acceptable limits.

Too little tongue weight will result in trailer sway, so do not over do moving the load back.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.