Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi again guys ... I had truck to dealer about this excessive gas consumption and they looked at truck and they pretty much said that it’s the tires I had on it.. it’s just a 10 ply winter tire ... I had same tires on my previous 2015 dbl cab Tundra and this truck was actually decent on gas .. so weird .. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated . Thanks

·
Registered
13,609 Posts
My 2017 gets worse mpg with the exact same wheels and tires that I ran in summer on my 2010... The only thing I can say is that mpg for some reason on my last two yota's got better as the miles went up.

·
Registered
144 Posts
My Tundra gets way worse mileage in the winter, and I think it's about the change in ethanol content that my local gas stations implement at that time of year. Our air quality is baaad in the winter. High ethanol means less power per gallon, so more gas is used when I drive like a meth-head chimp.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Lol ha ha ... yeah I never thought about that .. the ethanol in gas. On of my buddies has a Tundra as well he says his is hard on gas also .. he thinks there’s something wrong with mine as he gets 11.5 mpg in the summer hauling his travel trailer... and I’m not getting that now ... ..I don’t no bye..

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi again guys ... I had truck to dealer about this excessive gas consumption and they looked at truck and they pretty much said that it’s the tires I had on it.. it’s just a 10 ply winter tire ... I had same tires on my previous 2015 dbl cab Tundra and this truck was actually decent on gas .. so weird .. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated . Thanks
My 2017 gets worse mpg with the exact same wheels and tires that I ran in summer on my 2010... The only thing I can say is that mpg for some reason on my last two yota's got better as the miles went up.
Ok right on .. maybe she will get better hopefully fingers crossed... one of my buddies who also own a Tundra 2012 said he ripped out the charcoal filter and he says his engine sounds like it’s working easier with it out... what do u think ??

·
Registered
13,609 Posts
Winter blend itself isn't necessarily an increase in ethanol content, as it is still limited to 10%, however winter blend is different that summer blend, and will in itself cause a decrease in fuel economy...

Combine that with cooler, more dense air during winter, and it will go down more...

Add that all the fluids are cooler, that also causes less economy...

The air when cooler and drier is actually better for power, just to stay near proper afr, you need more fuel.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Ok right on .. maybe she will get better hopefully fingers crossed... one of my buddies who also own a Tundra 2012 said he ripped out the charcoal filter and he says his engine sounds like it’s working easier with it out... what do u think ??
I'd say probably OK but better keep high quality air filters changed more often than called for in manual. I've seen pics of those filters when removed, they look like they're holding some dirt (brownish not black like carbon charcoal). So they 'appear' to be aiding in filtration, somewhat hence suggesting good quality air filters changed often, that's the only defense from dirt/sand grinding against the cylinder walls, ouch hurts just saying that....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts