Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My exhaust broke in half right behind the muffler the other day and now the tip points straight at the ground thanks to a big rust patch. Does anyone else have a problem with excessive exhaust rust or is it just my luck?

·
Registered
596 Posts
My exhaust broke in half right behind the muffler the other day and now the tip points straight at the ground thanks to a big rust patch. Does anyone else have a problem with excessive exhaust rust or is it just my luck?
It seems they all have issues with rust. But I haven't had one rust all the way through yet.

2016 Toyota Tundra TRD Pro CM MGM

IG: @kt_harb.protundra

·
Registered
281 Posts
Good golly; I can't remember the last time I took a vehicle into the "muffler shop" for a new exhaust system. Literally, I think it was our old 1986 Ford Aerostar sometime in the mid-90s. For the three Toyotas we've owned, we never had an issue with any component in the exhaust system, except for replacing a couple of O2 sensors along the way. That would be over 25 years of ownership and 450K miles total on those three vehicles.

Do you make a lot of short trips? If so, you may be getting excessive condensation buildup in the exhaust system. This could be particularly excessive in cold weather.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah I live in Kentucky where we have cold winters and hot summers I usually use it on the farm and as my commuter vehicle, but it shouldn't have rusted through after only 106,000 miles.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Please fill out your signature so we can help and know what you have , mod's ect

PS.Gotta face the facts here . Historically vehicles over 100k can and will have issues , exhaust , alternator , starter, water pump , all front end components ,wheel bearings , u joints ect ect .
Just be GLAD its not a Dodge because you would be into EVERY item i mentioned .

good luck sir

·
Registered
13,625 Posts
What year? It's not just miles, it's time seeing moisture, etc.

·
Registered
13,625 Posts
Looks like you need just a new clamp.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Good golly; I can't remember the last time I took a vehicle into the "muffler shop" for a new exhaust system. Literally, I think it was our old 1986 Ford Aer

ostar sometime in the mid-90s. For the three Toyotas we've owned, we never had an issue with any component in the exhaust system, except for replacing a couple of O2 sensors along the way. That would be over 25 years of ownership and 450K miles total on those three vehicles.

Do you make a lot of short trips? If so, you may be getting excessive condensation buildup in the exhaust system. This could be particularly excessive in cold weather.
Please remember that it's a big ole diverse country with weather conditions that might not match your home town exhaust pipe longevity.

·
Registered
18 Posts
If you do make short trips and possibly live in a higher humidity area then I would consider this normal.
I used to work 2 miles away from my home, had three different truck exhaust rust out. Two fords and a dodge.
Now work 30 miles from home. Haven’t had any rust out since

·
Registered
13,625 Posts
Again, it's just a clamp. All he needs to do is get a new clamp, and possibly the gasket. The exhaust didn't rust out, the clamp rusted or failed. Rest of exhaust looks fine. If he keeps driving with it like that it will cause issues.

·
Registered
13,625 Posts
I think flange inside the clamp might be rusted and crumbling.
Who knows, he hasn't posted back. I doubt the piping is crumbling. If it is, then that clamp was loose for a while allowing exhaust moisture to permeate that area.

Even if it is crumbly, it's repairable. Not like he needs an entire exhaust.

That area has a bulge, and a line up location cut out, as well as a gasket. When I made my exhaust system for my 2010 I didn't know there was a line up cutout, and I had it off, had to cut out some for it to align properly. There is meat there, overlapping, with a gasket, then the band clamp. It's similar to a v-band clamp.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts