Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How important is this ??????? Can I leave it off since my truck doesn't go off roading ??????

The reason I ask is....... 2 of the 4 bolts snapped off while I was removing this today to change my belt. I'm a little frustrated because everything went perfect except for these cheap bolts breaking/snapping while removing this engine under cover. If there is no important use, I'd like to leave it off rather than trying to drill and tap these broken bolts out. Thoughts ??????

I wanted to thank this forum for giving me the knowledge to do this belt change, and thanks to you guys I saved alot of money in the belt install. :beerchug:

G

·
Is this the one that hinges down and hides the oil filter? I'm too chicken to leave it off of a 4.7L Lexus SUV we have. Tundra gets serviced by the stealership.

I also have a missing bolt :(

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
nobody ?????? :confused:

I'm speaking of the factory metal skid plate that you must remove to access the serpintine belt from underneath.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
I have no skid plate on mine, I bought it missing, just recently discovered it is supposed to have one :p had the truck 3 years now. on the plus side, oil changes are a snap

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
Leaving it off won't help your aero drag either. The Tundra is bad enough with it on.

·
Premium Member
51 Posts
nobody ?????? :confused:

I'm speaking of the factory metal skid plate that you must remove to access the serpintine belt from underneath.
Personally....i would not drive without it. All it takes is a road debris bouncing up from the road doing 70 or 80 and have it nick something or knock something loose..... I would not risk it.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
It also protects the alternator against water, mud, sand splash. My truck didn't come with one. I accidentally drove into a flooded section of a street. The splash was windows high. Next day, alternator died. It's expensive and a pain to remove.

Luckily, I was able to buy a very slightly used one on Craigslist. Seller was a local Toyota dealership and the skid plate was a take off from a brand new truck. Only thing I had to buy were 3 bolts, 3 washers, and 3 lock washers from Lowe's. Happy to have it.:D

And the truck is quieter too. Less wind noise.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I threw that peice of tin away long ago. If you don't go off road you don't need it. -And if you do go off road, I would hope you upgrade to a real skid plate. LOL!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts