Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought 06 Tundra with a ticking noise. The ticking noise rate increase with the RPM. It never go away after the engine is warmed up. The noise can be heard at the start of the engine. Please provide suggestions on what cause the ticking noise. Here is the video of the noise. The noise is coming from the passenger side of the engine and near the firewall.

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
I can't identify the noise, but it would probably help if you could rev the engine, moderately, up and down a few times, so the more Tundra-experienced could comment.

Also, a mechanic's stethoscope ($20.) will pay for itself the first time you use it. I don't have this brand, but this one has an interesting-looking "cup attachment" mine does not have, that looks useful (for other issues--you'll want to use the long, thin "needle" attachment):

Lisle 52750 Stethoscope Kit
https://www.amazon.com/Lisle-Drake-Off-Road-Tools/dp/B0015DLMOO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1511432437&sr=8-1&keywords=mechanics+stethascope

WARNING:
Use Safety Glasses and CAUTION, because if you stab that "needle" into a running belt/pulley/accessory, the whole shebang could get shoved back at your FACE/NECK, etc..., in a fraction of a second--never had it happen, but wouldn't wish it on anyone.

Don't put any fingers you want to keep anywhere you could loose them.
Meaning: It's VERY easy to GET DISTRACTED, while searching for the source of a noise, and worrying about all the scary-sounding noises you'll hear, most of which won't matter.

You'll want to start by trying to localize this noise to either the TOP end of the engine (which could = valve train problems) or the BOTTEM end (i.e., oil pan, bottom "skirt" of the block) which could = crank's main or big-end rod bearings.

If no joy, but you hear it in the side of the engine, IME, it could be piston wrist pin knock--but I'm a Ford guy, new to Tundra's myself.

WHEN you localize it, perhaps you could stick your smart phone between the "ear buds" of the stethoscope (never tried recording through one, with any device, so just a suggestion) and let the Established Brain Trust hear what YOU hear, through the stethoscope.

Good luck, BE EXTRA-SAFE, and let us know? I'm interested.

And how many miles on the truck?

ToyotasForever

·
Registered
80 Posts
My truck sounds like that when it’s very chilling out (sub 30’s)... but it goes away as it warms up, sometimes it takes a while.
I’ve checked my oil level and everything is fine.

I typically use 0W20 oil, but can’t recall if it was 5W20 this last time.
It may have been a mix, as I usually get my oil from Costco (Mobil One synthetic) when it goes on sale.
And my wife’s and sons vehicles both uses 5w20

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.